PDA

View Full Version : leaking drive lube

mikev
09-18-2006, 11:17 AM
My alpha is leaking lube from the front of the top cap when drive is trimmed all the way up. looks like a simple fix just pop the cap and replace the o-ring. am i missing anything?

Dredgeking
09-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Might as well drain the drive and re-fill it. If oil can come out, water may have got in. I've never looked at an alpha, but I think it would just be a gasket for the top cap.

mikev
09-22-2006, 10:47 AM
pulled the cap and the o-ring crumbled into 5 pieces no wonder it was leaking. The guy at the parts store said he never has seen one leak but then again i dont think the cap has been off mine since it was new and it is an 88 model guess i cant complain for a 2 part and 20 minutes worth of work.

gcarter
09-23-2006, 12:01 AM
In addition to the O-ring, you are supposed to apply some sealer on the aft quadrant of the mating surfaces outside the O-Ring. At least so says the manual....I don't know if it needs it though...I mean, I don't know if it will leak w/o it.

MOP
09-23-2006, 03:55 PM
The sealer protects the mating suraces from corrosion.

mikev
09-25-2006, 12:06 PM
the guy at the store soaked the o-ring in the sealer and there was plenty left in the bag to put on the mating surface and saved me 14 bucks for the tube of merc sealer.