PDA

View Full Version : V6 vs. V8

8-ball
09-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Gentlemen, was wondering what the actual difference in performance is between the Mercruiser 4.3 and 5.7 on a "Sweet 16" if both boats were propped correctly to their respective engines ?? Thanx.
"If you're behind me------you're behind the " 8-ball !! " :wink:

CrackerJack
09-17-2006, 08:41 PM
We had a 16' with a 4.3l V6 it ran around 52mph, there are others that ran a little faster 55mph. When we had a serious problem with the V6 we had to make a decision, either to repair and upgrade the V6 or replace it with a V8.
We decided to install a V8 since we found a new long block for a good price.
The weight came out about the same due to the lighter flywheel, Stainless Marine exhaust and some other deleted parts that we did not use on the V8.
What we now have is a 16' that seems to handle better and is 10-12mph faster, still trying different props. I think the better ride and handling is due to the weight being a little more forward. The other added bonus is the V8 is not as loud and annoying.:shocking: I don't believe we would have swapped for the V8 if it had not been for the V6's problem. If I was to buy a new 16' and they offered a V8, that would be my choice.

FlynLow
09-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Even if it wasn't the best choice for performance, you can't beat the sound of a V8 screaming through the transom!:yes: