PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hull Help

Newby
09-12-2006, 05:25 AM
I am converting my 1990 16 Classic to thru hull exhaust. When I cut the holes in the transom, what do I need to do to seal the holes before I install the tips? All info would be greatly appreciated!

kjly63
09-12-2006, 07:41 AM
I bought Stainless marine. Its is 1 piece to the manifold. They supply you with a chrome ring and a 1/4" rubber ring that gets sandwiched behind it against the transom.

I think it looks and works well:yes:

Ken

Donzigo
09-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Be sure to seal properly, the raw area around where youcut the hull. You can seal it with fiberglass or perhaps 5200. But, it is necessary, lest you have water intrusion and rot later.

Hotspare
09-12-2006, 07:48 AM
I probably over did it, but I saturated the plywood with three coats of fiberglass resin ....... Sanded that down, then applied a coat of Marine Tex, sanded that down, and then applied a couple coats of interlux bilge coat paint ...........

kjly63
09-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Forgot to mention.........I also sealed the hell out of the freshly cut holes with resin:wink:

Ken

mrfixxall
09-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Use life seal from boat us,DONT USE 5200 by 3m....You'll never get them out,also merc has a temp plate that you can get at any dealer for cutting the holes in the proper places in the transm..

kjly63
09-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Newby,

Which exhaust are you using? In my case I had it custom made from 4" PVC I glued together with the angles I wanted for a good fit and sent it to them. Brownie at Stainless Marine was very helpful with this.:)

Ken

Morgan's Cloud
09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
I probably over did it, but I saturated the plywood with three coats of fiberglass resin ....... Sanded that down, then applied a coat of Marine Tex, sanded that down, and then applied a couple coats of interlux bilge coat paint ...........
What about the bolt holes ? ? I hope you did'nt forget them ? :bonk:
Actually , I use epoxy resin but same end result ...
And as mrfixxall says , use Lifeseal or something similar.
There are many thousands of diss-assembly nightmares waiting to happen all over the country where 5200 has been over prescribed.
There about a dozen more suitable sealers available , but for some reason '5200' is the only thing some people seem to know of.
I avoid it like the plague , except for a very few SELECT applications !

Newby
09-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys. To answer some of the questions, I currently have a set of corsa cans for the tips and Captain's Call. I have GLM aluminum manifolds and risers. However, I am open for suggestions. Since the manifolds and risers are new, I intend to keep them. I have the standard measurement for installation and a diagram from a thread here. However, I will attempt to obtain a template from a dealer if available. I was hoping to do this in a weekend. Is it possible?

mrfixxall
09-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys. To answer some of the questions, I currently have a set of corsa cans for the tips and Captain's Call. I have GLM aluminum manifolds and risers. However, I am open for suggestions. Since the manifolds and risers are new, I intend to keep them. I have the standard measurement for installation and a diagram from a thread here. However, I will attempt to obtain a template from a dealer if available. I was hoping to do this in a weekend. Is it possible?

If you cant get a temp plate let me know and ill copy what i have and send you one...i just need the make year gen I or gen II....

Newby
09-13-2006, 08:36 AM
I would appreciate your assistance with the template. The boat is a 1990 16 abd currently has a 1991ish Alpha Gen II with a 1993 4.3L. I intended to install the exhaust tips with a 5.7L in mind in the near future. Yes, I have read the threads on the dreadful noise of the V6. Perhaps this will push the project along. Thanks again.

oldandtired
09-13-2006, 02:40 PM
I pulled the corsa tips from my 22zx to install 4 1/2" pipes from the headers. The original install from Donzi did not have any type of sealant and there was some evidence of water having gotten in there but no rot. After enlarging the holes for the bigger pipes, I gave it a good coat of epoxy to seal it (and the bolt holes) and also used "Goop" on the gaskets for the beauty rings. Randy at CMI is the one that recommended the Goop and it worked out great. As far as templates go, I would just use a laser level, level the boat, locate your elevation and measure for the hole centers. It should be very straightforward.

Rene

mrfixxall
09-13-2006, 03:48 PM
I would appreciate your assistance with the template. The boat is a 1990 16 abd currently has a 1991ish Alpha Gen II with a 1993 4.3L. I intended to install the exhaust tips with a 5.7L in mind in the near future. Yes, I have read the threads on the dreadful noise of the V6. Perhaps this will push the project along. Thanks again.

Newbe,e-mail me your address and phone#,ill just send you a original template but you have to send it back to me when your done with it.

mike

Newby
09-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Mike:

Email on the way. Thanks to all for the help. Someday, I hope to report my progress and maybe a picture or two.