PDA

View Full Version : donzi 28 sportsman-info needed

wildfire007
09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
need info! Has anyone ever been on one of these? I am about to make a purchase of a hull only. I would like to hear what type of ride i can expect offshore.Does this hull compare to the ride of a 28 or 31 bertram? does she roll alot on the drift?Is this a good hull for sportfishing the canyons as a dayboat?thanks in advance.

Last Tango
09-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Dad's Thunder on this board is a very happy owner of just exactly what you are looking at. I suggest you PM him. He is hard to get hold of by mail, but once you do, he is a totally excellent resource for that specific boat. He has "done it all" in terms of restoration, mechanical, electrical, live aboard. He spends 90% of his free time on that boat, takes it out in the worst that Lake Erie can offer. I have ridden on it several times and it totally kicks butt compared to other boats it's size, and outruns the bigger "offshore racer" boats in the rough stuff. He will be happy to relate many a story about so-called offshore performance boats he has whooped big time on the run from Marblehead or Cedar Point, to the islands off Sandusky in Western Lake Erie. Even my 80+ year old parents enjoyed an afternoon on his boat when the water was far less than smooth.
If you can't get him by PM with a week, PM me with your phone number and I will pass it on to him. I will also call him tonight and let him know about this post.

falcon
09-11-2006, 05:30 PM
was at jackson marine in hampton bays over the weekend and noticed a sportsman at the entrance with the name wildfire on the back--it had a tel # which i did not take note of----really just a hull in very poor shape---this boat has moved around over the years--i first saw it in freeport in the 80's --i don't think it has been in the water since---i know i have posted this before---there is one in oakdale -called rapid transit---the owners seem to maintain the boat and use it to fish--you may try to get in touch with them for some first hand input---last summer they were moored in a marina just west of the snapper inn--i have not been there this year to know if they still are--

falcon
09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
just thought of another source----there is a boat in freeport called Just add Water --i think at al grovers ---the owners prior boat of the same name was a sportsman that he fished for many years-he may also be a good source of info--his first name is harry-don't know his last.

wildfire007
09-11-2006, 07:22 PM
thanks for all your replys.

MOP
09-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I had only one ride in one of my buddies, it seemed to ride better then the 28 Bert and a little less rolly. The one I was in was repowerd with 454's and did run well.

Phil