PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk vs. BIII

Schnook
09-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Just curious, what's the difference?

mrfixxall
09-07-2006, 04:33 PM
blackhawk is really short (serface piercing) and A BRAVO 3 GOES A BIT DEEPER IN THE WATER AND RUN DIFFERANT PROPS

Pismo
09-07-2006, 08:10 PM
BIII is a big drive for pushing heavy slower boats that need a lot to plane off, cruisers etc. Blackhawk is all about performance surface piercing props made for high performance fast boats that can handle a high x dimension.

onesubdrvr
09-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Why does Cig rig all their 20's with the BIII???
Scott,...do tell, please!!

Wayne

MOP
09-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Right and Right! The BH is a cross between a Bravo and a BIII, the lower bearing housing is bigger then both the Bravo or the BIII. Believe me I know I had 3 sets of BIII wheels machined to fit the BH, some beat up on Th BH but really there is nothing wrong with the drive outside of parts availability. What can kill them is the very same thing that will kill any drive, getting air and not tending the throttle the right way. To me it is a great drive with handling traits far better then any single prop drive bar none, I threw mine back on my 22 for a couple of weeks. It is just great to be able to throw the boat into either a right or left turn with equal roll up, nothing like carving up a windy creek at 50mph.
Phil

blackhawk
09-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Right and Right! The BH is a cross between a Bravo and a BIII, the lower bearing housing is bigger then both the Bravo or the BIII. Believe me I know I had 3 sets of BIII wheels machined to fit the BH, some beat up on Th BH but really there is nothing wrong with the drive outside of parts availability. What can kill them is the very same thing that will kill any drive, getting air and not tending the throttle the right way. To me it is a great drive with handling traits far better then any single prop drive bar none, I threw mine back on my 22 for a couple of weeks. It is just great to be able to throw the boat into either a right or left turn with equal roll up, nothing like carving up a windy creek at 50mph.
Phil

Phil, I'm not sure what you mean by the lower bearing housing being bigger? The B3 and BH use the exact same propshafts, bearings, gears, etc. The bearing carrier is different and may be larger making it necessary to machine the B3 wheels to fit.

MOP
09-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Thought the BIII wheels slip right onto the splines the forward one will not fit over the bearing housing, I had to have 7/16" machined out of the inner ribs for it to fit over the housing. I have looked at both at our yard the shafts look alike but the carrier is heftier, not sure if the bearings are any different.

Phil