PDA

View Full Version : !990 22 Classic

Bvinc
09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
I just purchased a 1990 Classic 22 from S. Carolina. It has the OMC 454 370 HP w/ the King Cobra outdrive. The outdrive was completely re-built last year because the owner hit a log. All new parts. Engine is spotless. I thought it had been repainted because it looks like new, but it was not. From 1 to 10, it's about a 8.5. Color Teal & white. What are the disadvantages or advanrages of the KIng cobra verses the Merc. I have always had mercs. The boat is is great condition. Fresh water lake & I bought it from the original owner. Any additional info or quirks about boat, engine or outdrive would be greaty.

Thanks,

BVinc

mrfixxall
09-07-2006, 03:56 PM
reguards to the drive,,no disadvantages,,it will out last a merc and hold more power if it was rebuilt rite...

joel3078
09-07-2006, 08:47 PM
I have the 1993 version of your same power package in a 24' black widow wich is a good chunk heavier boat than a 22 classic. Great package runs flawless. The impeller pump for water on the king cobra is super easy to chage out. Gotta grease the u-joints in the outdrive every year and lube the 2 o-rings which is more of a pain in the ass then merc outdrive. The lower units holds around a gallon of gear lube wich is quite a bit more than a merc but with all that lube the sucker stays cool and doesn't overheat. The gears and bearing are bigger and last forever. A current version of the king cobra is a Volvo SX. They are actually quite a bit alike and also seem to be problem free. Amazing to me how many people buy the king cobra drive knowing nothing or very little about them, then learn about them afterwards. Never heard of anyone complaining about a king cobra drive. Parts are available at http://www.sterndrive.info/index.html
Gotta surf around to find what ya need or just call their phone #. Seem to have good prices and a hell of alot cheaper than the local marinas.