PDA

View Full Version : Procharger installation Questions and Tips.

coldwater
09-06-2006, 01:14 PM
zzzz

The Hedgehog
09-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Contemplating a procharger m1 3-5 psi intercooled installation on my 18 with a 5.7 vortec heads and carb. Stock gm crate 325 hp
I've checked price with lakeside and others, and its within range of possibility. However, I didn't get any info on the install process and am not ready for a lengthy phone call(s).
I'm told that although the "kit" is supposedly complete, that it is not a simple bolt on job and requires modifications and fabrication, contrary to the mfg claims.
So, If some of you have done your own installs on similar setups, Id appreciate your feedback on how the job went. I do want to do the job myself. Is a new carb required? This one is holly vacuum secondaries 600 and I read that mechanical are recommended or required? How difficult is the install? Other than the aches and bumps from leaning into the engine bay for hours... What special parts may be required which would not be included in the "complete" kit? Is there a generic carb setup which would make for a good starting point for jetting etc?
I presume premium fuel is mandatory. Has anyone tried alcohol/water injection on a boost switch to control detonation?
I know if I start this, its only a beginning. External steering and stronger drive are also in the cards...
Thanks for any and all advice....

Heck, I would just call Jamie at Lakeside. He has got great prices and installs a good bit of them. He will tell you what you need to know with no bull. The directions require some help and Jamie was there when we needed him. You will probably want a Barry Grant carb setup for the blower.

BigGrizzly
09-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I guess I am a bad reference because itoo have installed them and being a profecional tech it seemed easy compaired to others. Yes use a manual not vaccum secondaries. this is a blow through, not a suck through. The hardest part is the carb tuning. If you don't know carbs, job it out. Forget the alchole its more trouble thaqn it is worth. Remember detonation is a sneise away if set up borderline.

Ed Donnelly
09-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Consider using a carb hat rather than a carb box.
Easier to install and easier to work on the carb....Ed

catch 22
09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
I did not install my M3, but I was there ALOT. The best advice I could give you is to pull the moter out of the boat............YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT.Good luck. Keep us posted.Jim:)

LKSD
09-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Consider using a carb hat rather than a carb box.
Easier to install and easier to work on the carb....Ed

Carb hats can be easier to set up than the blow thru boxes, but the USCG isnt keen on them.. The hats are a bit less $$$ too.. Alot of the trouble in setting up the SC units is hand fitting all of the stuff together. With a carb systems the toughest thing will be to set up the carb properly... I have some source out recomendations if one buys a unit from me.. The Efi stuff is a bit trickier to set up... Yes a Barry Grant or holley carb is a good way to go, but you need to set it up for blow thru, not pull thru... AND mechanical secondaries are best... Let me know if you should desire a kit, If you want a hat instead of the carb box we could do a mod to the kit lowering the price slightly from the current one you got from us yesterday.. At least currently.. :) :)

Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

BigGrizzly
09-07-2006, 08:51 AM
The box is the way to go. No leaks, more durability CG likes them. Remember on a blow through the box is pressurized. on a hat just the ventory is oressuriced so leaks from whereever happen. I set them up on a dyno before instalation otherwise your guessing and will have black soot on your stern. I use a Demon on my boat with manual secondaries. Is mine right well ask anyone who has heard it or been in it, let them tell you. I'm lucker than most because I live 10 miles from BG and his cheif engineer is a buddy. Like Catch22 says pull the motor and do it right. I have seen his boat run and it is done right. I do disagree with JW I feel blow3 through carb kits are more difficult than fuel injection. Such through are the easier ones. I won't get into why not enough time. Nuff said make your desision and go with it.

LKSD
09-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say...

I never said setting up a blow thru application was necessarily easy.. I feel a carb hat is usually easier to set up than a blow thru box.....

I have done enough sc's to have a good handle on these things. Also the reason I said about the hat is most people hate meadling with the box to tune the carb as opposed to the hat being a bit easier on some apps..

Efi fuel systems can be more complicated systems to set up with return lines, auxillary feed lines, replacment high volume high psi pumps & piggyback regulators etc...

You can purchase a blow thru carb from the carb shop or us & drop it on & tune it to the application... Also there are still many people who dont understand efi systems & dialing them in for boosted applications.

But hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion.. Personally I prefer the efi systems over carbs any day on a supercharger application & I am very familiar with the set ups on them & custom fuel systems.. Everyone can do whatever they want, It doesnt affect me. My opinion & professional experience is there for those who want to listen to it.. If they want to do it annother way so be it & good luck to them.. I honestly prefer to use carbs more for blown pull thru applications instead of the Sc's... Yes the carbbed sc's can run well when set up right, but I am still favor the EFI's.. As a rule an EFI systems will be more accurate, smoother, copmensates faster, easier starting.. Jamie / Lakeside

BigGrizzly
09-07-2006, 10:38 AM
I was mainly directing the carb setup issues as for the pumps etc. that is normal instalation. Do I like injection better in most cases yes, however some times it isn't an option. If I were going to do a setup on my own boat I would can the Merc ECU and get a Holly system install O2 sensors and go that route, or a Motortron system. Your capability wasn't in question. I don't do this for a living anymore I do it for fun. I am just trying to save guys money and time from making the mistakes that I made. I will also garantee some guy sitting in the back of a boat with a hand full of jets isn't going to do the job correctly. Most guys set up fat and you get a uneven idle and soot on the transom. What I am saying is I don't think Coldwater should do it himself. If you want to sell him a unit go ahead. I work on MY boat not on others. I'm not the biggest or the fastest or the best, but I'm darn good.

LKSD
09-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I was mainly directing the carb setup issues as for the pumps etc. that is normal instalation. Do I like injection better in most cases yes, however some times it isn't an option. If I were going to do a setup on my own boat I would can the Merc ECU and get a Holly system install O2 sensors and go that route, or a Motortron system. Your capability wasn't in question. I don't do this for a living anymore I do it for fun. I am just trying to save guys money and time from making the mistakes that I made. I will also garantee some guy sitting in the back of a boat with a hand full of jets isn't going to do the job correctly. Most guys set up fat and you get a uneven idle and soot on the transom. What I am saying is I don't think Coldwater should do it himself. If you want to sell him a unit go ahead. I work on MY boat not on others. I'm not the biggest or the fastest or the best, but I'm darn good.
Griz,
I am not disagreeing either with all of your thoghts. I do agree it is not the type of thing for someone to try and tackle if they are only used to a basic tune up or oil change on a boat. It is then better left to a pro.. Not all Lay people are capable of what you & a few others are.. I should probably elaborate a bit more at times in some of my posts, however in this situation & some others they have already called me after they placed a post, so I just didnt fully reitterate my spew.. :) I will be the first to tell a prospective SC or blower buyer that if they have not done some custom work and or custom tuning before this is not the thing for a DIY'er.. I would rather loose a sale than have someone upset or frustrated and my name tarnished because of it.. :) Catch ya later.. The sun is out & I have some water tests to do!! Yippie :) :) Jamie / Lakeside