PDA

View Full Version : "Tow of Shame"(brand new fuel pump failure)

conyo
09-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Well I am now in the dreaded "Tow of Shame" club!!!
Sunday eve I was heading back to drop off some pals when all of a sudden engine started crapping out...under load. Did some checks eg: fuel pre-strainer etc. but noticed an electrical burning smell from engine compartment. Checked fuel pressure on gauge less than 2PSI...bad sign:mad: Plus (as some may already know, certain electric fuel pumps are louder than hell) well you could hardly hear mine any more! The pump is a Hardin Marine 110 GPH...brand new less than a couple months old!
It looks exactically like a Holley Blue (marine) but without the decals. Any ideas why it would fail so early? Also anyone else with electric fuel pump? What kind?

gcarter
09-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I run a Holley blue. The first one I put on was a rebuilt one from eBay. It worked great for about 15 months.
I bought a new one from Jegs, and noticed they had rebuild kits for about $15.00. I took the first one apart and looked it over. It looks easy enough to rebuild.
Doesn't hurt to have a spare complete with fittings and regulator ready to go.
If it was smelling, you may have a motor problem.
I was really grateful when a 'toon boat pulled me in when my drive let go.

mrfixxall
09-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Well I am now in the dreaded "Tow of Shame" club!!!
Sunday eve I was heading back to drop off some pals when all of a sudden engine started crapping out...under load. Did some checks eg: fuel pre-strainer etc. but noticed an electrical burning smell from engine compartment. Checked fuel pressure on gauge less than 2PSI...bad sign:mad: Plus (as some may already know, certain electric fuel pumps are louder than hell) well you could hardly hear mine any more! The pump is a Hardin Marine 110 GPH...brand new less than a couple months old!
It looks exactically like a Holley Blue (marine) but without the decals. Any ideas why it would fail so early? Also anyone else with electric fuel pump? What kind?

location of pump,is it getting a decent amount of air? it will get hot just like your engine with no water, wont last long..also check your charging system to see if its over charging...im running the new holly hp150 and boy is it super quiet...

gold-n-rod
09-06-2006, 06:14 PM
I had to get towed into the launch (in my big boat, not the Donzi) back in July of '05 by a fuggin' PWC.

Of course, beggars can't be choosers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bonk:

tmdog
09-06-2006, 06:49 PM
AFter many bad experiences w/ Holley blue pumps, switched to a Mallory and been running strong for the past 3 yrs. Got it at Summit. Placed it as low as possible near the tank. Still pumping 7 1/2 lbs at wot.

conyo
09-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the responses!
I am currently looking into an Aeromotive HP Marine USCG Fuel Pump. Seems pretty durable...we'll see. This is from there website..."with the built-in durability to survive over 2000 hours of continuous run time. Meet the toughest, most versatile and powerful fuel pump ever offered to the marine industry. Complete with a full, two year, factory direct warranty to back it up....ya ya blah blah!
Anyone have any experiance with these pumps?

After doing some research someone told me they run two (2) carter fuel pumps together. That way they are running at 50% and if one fails the other will still flow enough to get ya home. Seems like a good idea. Anyone running a system like this?

conyo
09-06-2006, 07:38 PM
location of pump,is it getting a decent amount of air? it will get hot just like your engine with no water, wont last long..also check your charging system to see if its over charging...im running the new holly hp150 and boy is it super quiet...

Hey MrFixx,
I will check the temp where the pump is located. Thanks for the advice. Its installed in front of the engine and I got jacketed exhaust manifolds that are always cool, but I'll see what the temp is in the next few days.
I checked out the holley HP150 you got but couldn't find if its approved for marine applications. My Hardin and Holley Blue Marines have a sepearte hose fitting that you connect a tube from the pump to the carb. It allows vapor and fuel to flow into the carb incase it fails. Open engine compartments can use the auto pumps but my insurance will be void if I use an unapproved fuel pump and an accident happens in my closed engine compartment.
Thx again!