PDA

View Full Version : IRC solutions for the chat room.

Formula Jr
12-12-2002, 12:30 AM
Now, we all know that good IRC software costs money, they are like, 200 bucks or more. The free-bee dog we are stuck with now is not Harbormaster's fault it's just an inexpensive way to do what we all want. Please send Scot some money this year and maybe he can afford a real IRC program, with real time photos, sound, voice and stuff. One that can recognize scroll-to-top. :D

harbormaster
12-12-2002, 08:38 AM
This one cost me 49.00 dollars!

Which package do you recommend Owen??

Digger
12-12-2002, 09:16 AM
ok Ill bite. what the hell is IRC?

"compuetrr challenged"

Team Hula Girl
12-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Internet Relay Chat
Computer conferencing on the Internet. There are hundreds of IRC channels on numerous subjects that are hosted on IRC servers around the world. After joining a channel, your messages are broadcast to everyone listening to that channel. IRC client programs, provide a graphical interface for all functions, including logging onto popular servers and obtaining a list of their active channels.

John

Digger
12-12-2002, 10:50 AM
wow. thanks John :)

Formula Jr
12-13-2002, 01:35 AM
I'm sorry Scot if the post pissed you off... not my intension..

I was having all manner of drop outs with the Java application running as a client. Most likely cause the jchat soft Harbormaster bought isn't too Mac friendly. But other people are having the same problems getting pinged from the system. Anyone that is also having problems with the chat room should consider running their own client soft to access the channel. This is a direct way to access the chat room and w
ithout all the overhead of running the client through a browser ,the connection is very stable and fast.

IRC (Internet Relay Chat) exists as a "Part" of the internet. Just like FTP ( File Transfer Protocal), Gopher, Email and The Web does. But, you don't need to access it through a browser (Netscape, AOL, MSN, or IE) as it is set up now. Many people are having no problems with the Jchat soft and I deeply respect the fact that Harbormaster really tried to make it easy to enter this side of the internet. My 49 Dollar check will be forthcoming. :) But the Java run IRCs through a browser don't really work too well for many folk and the soft problem is through the browser and the way it interprets Java. So, I went looking for other, more stable stuff.

http://www.newircusers.com/java/index.html

Here you can download the best IRC softs out there for the PC. These are shareware and sooner or later, please pay the piper cause I've written shareware few bought and the time involved in making this stuff is major- its alot of work. These are stable and will not drop you out like the browser java run access will.

On the Mac side with IRCLE (http://www.ircle.com/) you will need to add these servers to the list and correct for a badly typed undernet server name - the Dallas server. I'm now using ircle for the mac and it was stable all last night. Mirc seems to be the PC prefered one.

There is some info you will need to add to the Mac side of this as the servers for DonziBoats are not listed.

So you will need to add

atlanta.ga.us.undernet.org
dallas.tx. us.undernet.org
phonenix.as.us.undernet.org

Port is 6667.

Those on the east coast will want to add the Washington DC undernet to the server list.

Once you have set this up on your server list, you can sign on with the command

/join #DonziBoats

to get to the chat channnel. And that can be set up as a default with your user name and such when you sign on. Just follow the instuctions and its pretty easy. :D Oky, well this message is pretty mangled. I can't write today..