PDA

View Full Version : Fire!

Donziweasel
09-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Was at the lake all weekend. Rejetted rich, lean, changes accelerator pump setting and the boat would still not run right. Went in to change jets and rods again and asked a friend to shut battery switch off. He moved it the wrong way. Something sparked when i had the top of the carb off and it caught fire. Immediatly got the fire extingisher and hit the carb with dry chemical. Gasket burned and accelerator pump cup melted some, but that was it. Couldn't really clean it the dry chemical out of the carb, couldn't get another gasket or accelerator cup there so I gave up.

The moral to the story is always have a fire extinguisher, make sure it is charged annually, and when working on flammable parts of the engine, always make sure the battery is disconnected (do it yourself). If I had not had the fire exinguisher, my boat would could have burned to the ground.

Decided to go a different way with the engine. Thinking about high altitude, I decided to go with a 750 CFM Edelbrock. More air and lean it out on the fuel side to compensate for the increased fuel. Hopefully will run better, but Elk hunting season begins next week and I am probably done until the spring.

Sofa King
09-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Glad to hear everythings OK. Just remember that dry chemical is corrosive stuff and clean it up real good. I love my Halon.

Sofa King safe

Donziweasel
09-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Going to get some engine cleaner and spray it down tommorrow.

Rootsy- I can not tell you how much fun hunting elk, mule deer, and antelope at 9000ft on horse. I wait all year for opening day. Plus, elk is about the best meat I have ever had.

RickSE
09-05-2006, 12:47 PM
I think you need to stay small on the carb CFM's. You're dealing with less air volume at altitude and need to keep the air flow velocity up going through the carb.

Sofa King
09-05-2006, 12:58 PM
My old neighbor in s fl used to go bow hunting for elk in wyoming every year. He loved it. Have fun.

mrfixxall
09-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Get a holly,more user friendly (hp series)

Donziweasel
09-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Going to try the 750, if no good then back to the 600. I like the holley, but the edelbrock is pretty bullet proof and I know my way around them very well. Plus, since I am using a edelbrock intake, the carb might be a better match. Can't hurt to try it considering how bad it ran with the 600. Anyone know anything about the air-gap edelbrock intakes? Supposedly denser cooler air for more power over the standard performer manifold.

mrfixxall
09-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Going to try the 750, if no good then back to the 600. I like the holley, but the edelbrock is pretty bullet proof and I know my way around them very well. Plus, since I am using a edelbrock intake, the carb might be a better match. Can't hurt to try it considering how bad it ran with the 600. Anyone know anything about the air-gap edelbrock intakes? Supposedly denser cooler air for more power over the standard performer manifold.

Thats all ill use now from edlbroch,i have one on mine,tmdog has one on his and a few others are using the airgap...Professional Products has one also called crosswind with a little longer intake runner and a little cheeper too part #52026

Newby
09-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the fire, glad you are quick on the draw!

BUIZILLA
09-05-2006, 02:15 PM
sooooooooooo..............

how's the wifey taking all this???

JH

Donziweasel
09-05-2006, 02:22 PM
She was on the beach watching all the fireworks and I can not tell you how pissed she was. Wouldn't let me take bikini pics. In her eyes, I took a perfectly running boat, turned it into a boat running poorly, and now a boat that does not run at all. Luckily there were 4-5 other boats there to ride around in, but it sucked to have a three day weekend and no boat.

I bet I had the fire exteguisher out in less that 10 sec. When it lit, I immediatly dropped the hatch and went for the extinguiser. Opened the hatch and hit it with one quik burst and it was out. The inside of the hatch is black, but I think I will be able to wipe most of it off. I will probably go to a different fire extiguisher such as halon or just water in the future. Those dry chemical ones are a mess to clean up. White powder all down the carb, all over the intake and bildge. Doesn't come off real easily either. I am just real glad I had one. I will never ever ever ever go without one after this weekend.

Donziweasel
09-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Unfortunatly, I had the top of the carb of with two nice pools of fuel on either where the floats and jets are exposed. Engine was also off.

CHACHI
09-06-2006, 07:16 AM
She was on the beach watching all the fireworks and I can not tell you how pissed she was. Are you ready to have me send your wife photos of the Minx yet? ken

Newby
09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Ouch! Low blow warning.

Donziweasel
09-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Soon, got to get this one running first, got my new carb today and hoping to clean and install tommorrow. Not sure when I will get to run it though.

your right, that was a low blow. Picking on a man when he almost burnt his boat.

Donziweasel
09-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Thought about the carb all night and decided to stick with 600 cfm. Sent 750 back. Got to get a rebuild kit for the 600 as I burned the top gasket and accelerator pump cup. Hopefully that was all that was damaged. Going to take carb off today, break it down, and see what else might have happened.