PDA

View Full Version : trim tab ??

Schaf
09-04-2006, 08:00 PM
2004 22 classic... Ok this weekend I was exmaining my tabs in the water.. I wanted to visually see how much they tab down or bow up. What I discovered was my trim tab control toggles controled the oppisite tab. In other words my left trim tab toggle controls my right trim tab right toggle controls my left tab. I assume this is incorrect but I thought I should ask. I appreciate your time.

Brian Hamilton
09-04-2006, 09:13 PM
schaf, everything is ok. the left switch works the right tab and visa versa. B

22zxla
09-04-2006, 09:30 PM
At first look i thought the same thing when looking at mine. However look at it like this. To lower your left side of your boat the right trim needs to be lowered. So you hit the left button and the right trim will go down hence lowering your left side.

Cuda
09-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I am constantly confused by them in the Minx, that's why I don't fool with them at all. In my Formula, I have mechanical indicators. When the port tab is coming up, the port indicator comes up. I don't know who came up with that brilliant idea of putting them exactly the opposite of what you would thing.:bonk:

CHACHI
09-05-2006, 06:03 AM
The tabs are wired realitive to the bow. If you want the port side of the bow down, and hit the port switch on the top, the starboard tab drops which in turn drops the port bow. Just the oppisite for the starboard bow. Think bow attitude, not tab position. Ken

Cuda
09-05-2006, 06:49 AM
The tabs are wired realitive to the bow. If you want the port side of the bow down, and hit the port switch on the top, the starboard tab drops which in turn drops the port bow. Just the oppisite for the starboard bow. Think bow attitude, not tab position. Ken
Yeah, I know the reasoning behind it, but I still think it's a dumbass idea.

Pismo
09-05-2006, 07:03 AM
Tabs wiring/setup varies widely from boat to boat.

CHACHI
09-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I know the reasoning behind it, but I still think it's a dumbass idea.Personally, I re-wired myswitch. Left switch down,port tab down. Left switch up, port tab up. They now correlate to the switch, not the bow. Ken

BaldEagle
09-05-2006, 04:46 PM
I do what Poodle said. You want the port side bow up, press the port side rocker up.

Tony
09-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Personally, I re-wired myswitch. Left switch down,port tab down. Left switch up, port tab up. They now correlate to the switch, not the bow. Ken

Great minds think alike!

I called TrimMaster and they told me exactly how to do this. I, like Cuda and Ken, want the switch to operate the TAB. I think of the STERN of the boat, where the TABS are, not the bow. Plus, my bow is pointed, thus it has no port or starboard!

Count me as another who thinks that it is back-asswards to have the tabs control the opposite bow...this is two steps, or thoughts, away from what I want the tab to do.

:beer:

Cuda
09-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Tony, if the port switch operates the port tab, then it IS bassackwards, cause the Stbd side o the boat will be affected by it...
I'd still prefer it that way. It might be because the only other boat I've owned with trim tabs is my Formula. The port rocker operates the port tab. Up brings the tab up, down puts the tab down.

BaldEagle
09-05-2006, 10:05 PM
If you add trim tab indicators you can see the actual position of the port and std tabs having the port indicator showing the port tab position, but for ease of operation I find the port rocker controlling the stb tab to be the simpler, especially if the manufacturer mounts the rocker switches oriented so there is a port and stb switch as opposed to one forward and one aft. Of course Tony's volvo never leans one way or the other any way.

Tony
09-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Tony, if the port switch operates the port tab, then it IS bassackwards, cause the Stbd side o the boat will be affected by it...

Eau contraire, Keemosabee.

I think of my transom, and if I want the starboard side lifted I drop the starboard tab...just a touch. That is, incidentally, my usual condition...it seems my boat lists slightly to the helm side, I do not know the reason. Could it be the battery, steering wheel, and power steering components at the helm?

:beer:

BaldEagle
09-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Well, I guess its just that some of us are forward thinkers and some backwards.
Sorry we missed you in Muskegon this weekend by the way.

Pismo
09-06-2006, 06:28 AM
There is no right and wrong or exact way to do it, it is personal preference.

Tony
09-06-2006, 06:23 PM
There is no right and wrong or exact way to do it, it is personal preference.

Correct-a-mungo! Maybe this would be a good mid-winter poll to see how most people's tabs operate.

Jeff, I would have liked to see you guys again, but we were with two other boats, neither of which were able to venture long on the big lake. But, we had a very nice day on Muskegon Lake, Bear Lake, and for a short time out on Lake Michigan. I got a little miffed, though, as we lined up to pull out at the Grand Trunk City launch ramp. As it was about 7:00 or so, the stinkin' fishermen would just pull up and back down the ramp...despite seeing several boats waiting patiently to pull out.

gold-n-rod
09-06-2006, 06:39 PM
I got a little miffed, though, as we lined up to pull out at the Grand Trunk City launch ramp. As it was about 7:00 or so, the stinkin' fishermen would just pull up and back down the ramp...despite seeing several boats waiting patiently to pull out.

Bah, think of it as your "back to school" gift. At least you weren't behind a blowboater. Those farkers will dick and dick and dick around at a ramp until you want to shoot someone...... or yourself.

I'll take 10 fishers before I'll take one blowboater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink:

How was yer first day of school?????????????????????????????