PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Splashes: How Many Were There?

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
09-03-2006, 08:44 PM
The thread on the Vance got me thinking of the other Donzi splashes that are/were out there.

The 16' and 18' classics have been splashed a number of times.

Vance 16' - Ski Sporter splash modified to 2+3 seating.
Cobalt XV200 - another 16' Ski Sporter splash
Cobalt GT500 - 18' Corsican splash
Sutphen 18 GS - 18' 2+3 splash w/ modified deck (possibly the inspiration for the Four Winns U-17?)
Python Vyper - 18' 2+3 splash

Does anyone know of any others?

Eric

Lenny
09-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Glasply... I shot this a week ago in Seattle. They were quite popular. They were made around 1980. For a few uears.

Classic 18 IS the hull.

EricG
09-03-2006, 10:33 PM
See this thread from a few months ago re: the origins of the Glasply Lenny posted (BTW Lenny, where did you see that, I've always secretly liked those boats):

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45619

Don't forget to add Legend and Sterling to the list also.

And, I have no documentation of this, but there was an 18 copy we used to see in the area that the owner said was actually built by Bayliner. Which might make sense, since Bayliner started up here in Arlington and they experimented with many different styles of hulls before they developed their own line in the early 70's. Our '69 Bayliner Tahiti being an example.

EG

09-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Now I see the 18' splashed in the Glasply's hull. If you hadn't heard the story, I wonder if anyone would have figured it out.

I vaguely remember the Sterling and Legend names. What are their stories? Anyone have pics?

Eric

Lenny
09-04-2006, 10:21 AM
the origins of the Glasply Lenny posted (BTW Lenny, where did you see that, I've always secretly liked those boats):

That is sitting on the side of the road, on Northlake Rd. JUST before the entrance to Gasworks Park, on the I-5 side closest side. Almost across from where that "futuristic" Ferry used to be parked.

bgiles
09-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi there, Four Winns had the U17 and U19 in 1996\1997. Here's a picture of my U17.

09-04-2006, 10:30 PM
A question about the Four Winns U boats:

Can they be considered splashes if they're different lengths as their names suggest? The decks are certainly original designs, or at least not Donzi designs.

Are they:
a) Direct hull splashes of the 16' and 18' and just named differently to throw off some of the suspicion?
b) Modified hull splashes either lengthened or shortened?
c) Not splashes at all, but original hull designs?

Inquiring minds (with too much time on their hands) want to know! :bonk:

Eric

blackhawk
09-05-2006, 12:35 PM
blackhawk is the authority on these boats... my understanding is that he is "friends" with the folks that made these boats and knows the design history behind them.

Not sure if I would call myself an "authority". :D But I do some of the Winns and a lot about the boats. Basically 4 Winns wanted to get back into the performance market after dropping the Liberator in 1992. So they decided to go with a hot-rod classic type looking boat. A lot of research went into them and no they are not "spashes". Yes similar looking but a lot of smaller differences.

The decks are much more "euro" looking and the hulls are different as well. They are a 24* deadrise with a rounded keel. I don't know how the strakes compare to a Donzi Classic but I do know that they have a pronounced built in hook toward the outside of the hull to keep the boat running flat without tabs. The hull actually works great in rough water. Rides and flies flat. Yes it does slow the boat down as it rides wetter but it makes the boat more predictable. The only complaint/flaw is they do chine walk pretty good. But once you learn how to drive the boat you can master the chine walk.

I was around them for many years as a good friend(a son of one of the Winn's) had a 17 as soon as they came out and a 19 for several years later. I owned one last year before I bought the Pantera and friend still owns a 19.

I could tell you some stories about riding in Lake Michigan in the 19 but no one would believe me! :D

blackhawk
09-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Here are a couple pics of the one I owned.

blackhawk
09-05-2006, 12:48 PM
for some reason I thought they were like a 22 or 23 degree deadrise ?? I know they have a rounded keel full length inner strake the inner strakes on a non barrelback classic end short of the transom the u boats also had a reversed chine
i have a pic of a u 17 transom but seems I can't post it I get an invalid link call an administrator??

Nope 24* deadrise. I never paid any attention to the strakes on the boat but here is a pic of the transom of mine. Looks like a full length outer strake??? but I don't remember where the inner ended. I never pay attention to that kind of stuff! :D

blackhawk
09-05-2006, 12:53 PM
matty now you have me thinking. I guess all boats have the outer strake come out to the transom??? The inner strake did come back to about a foot short of the transom if I remember correctly. Does that mean "full length"? I remember being under there measuring the hook but like I said I don't really pay attention to that stuff.

blackhawk
09-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Very well could be I know there were some differences to the 17 hull. I found a pic of the bottom of my 19 showing the strakes and chine. Aren't computers great! :D

blackhawk
09-05-2006, 01:19 PM
well they are two different designs not the same and just stretched???? I wonder if when the tested the boats and said their were bad chinewalkers they only tested one of the hulls not both of them???

They are slightly different designs as I think the 17 had more hook as well. I never saw the actual article but from what I was told the main complaint they had was they went into a turn and put the boat on it's side because they used too much negative trim. The duoprop boats had a limit switch panel on the inside of the boat and the test boat had the switches unplugged allowing more negative trim. They said the boat was "dangerous". I really don't remember if they commented on the chine walking. It only did it in smooth water and once you figured out how drive the boat the chine walking is pretty much non-existant. It took me a few hours behind the wheel to figure it out.

09-05-2006, 02:23 PM
It also looks rounded where the sides meet the transom. The "Euro" style. I overheard a maufacturer talking to a customer at a boat show once.
Customer: "Why is everyone getting away from the squarer traditional lines and adopting this "euro" style for their new models"
Manufacturer: "The truth is they're easier to lay up. You don't have to be as careful about tabbing the glass into the corners of the mold".

So we can release the U boats from the dreaded splash category and list them under "donziesqe"?

Eric

Donziweasel
09-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I had the opportunity to drive a U-17 a few years back and the look is the only similarity with the Donzi Classis. They drove much differently, not worse, just different.

bgiles
09-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Guys, I apologize for taking the thread on a slight detour with the U17\U19 suggestion. Although very informative for me - this is for Donzi's. I'm quite enjoying my Donzi "want to be" until I can afford the Donzi Black Hawk edition.

Take Care

Bruce

09-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi Guys, I apologize for taking the thread on a slight detour with the U17\U19 suggestion. Although very informative for me - this is for Donzi's. I'm quite enjoying my Donzi "want to be" until I can afford the Donzi Black Hawk edition.
Take Care
Bruce

Hey, no problem. We're all here to learn, right? The U-boat detour has been entertaining and informative.

Eric

10-30-2006, 04:08 PM
I found another Donzi "semi-slpash" on eBay. It appears to be another 18' hull splash with a different deck design. The dash looks similar to the early '60s California skiboats. Manufacturer unknown.
Anybody know who might have made this one?

Pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ntolnes/Eric/0a_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ntolnes/Eric/93_1.jpg

Eric