PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Ordering a New Donzi and Info:

DonziDana
08-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Hello,
I am thinking of ordering a new 2007 Donzi Classic 18 (Biggest boat I can tow) with the following options:
MX 6.2 MPI w/Bravo X? :confused:
Quick & Quiet Plus exh. (switchable)
Solid upholstery (not sure on colors)
Full external hydraulic steering w/tops plates? :confused:
K-Planes 150 Series? :confused:
Dual battery package
Hour meter
Windshield aluminum frame (would like race faring like Shelby?) :confused:
Depth finder
Fire Extinguisher System
Mechanical Trim & Drive Indicator? :confused:
Livorsi gauges with GPS speedo
Livorsi Racing Controls w/trim? :confused:
2" shortie Mercury Sport Master drive? :confused:
Will install Whipple SC, offshore oil cooler, and CMI (w/ straight through tips and flappers) tube headers ASAP!
Need help on additional options needed? And color help!?!
Local Dealer is NO HELP but been talking to some other bigger dealers. Could use more info.
Thanks

ChromeGorilla
08-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Are you talking about the dealer in Wilmington? More of a fishboat place than anything.... I stopped by last week while visiting the inlaws..... not much goin on....

I would recommend contacting Frank @ Typhoon Performance Marine in NJ. he is a member on the boards and goes by ShanghiedAgain...

Formula Jr
08-31-2006, 05:31 PM
You will not want the windshield. All good otherwise.

DonziDana
08-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Yea, local dealer estimated it would cost around $41810.00 plus trailer. They were not sure about custom options? :confused: And had no additional info other then what the donzimarine.com site has. I definitely want some sort of windshield or faring, I don’t want the deck rail. Need concrete info on options and pricing.

zimm17
09-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Those are some pricy options.

I was spec'ing out a new superboat Y2K 30 footer and I wanted all the racy options too:

The sportmaster drive was several thousand dollars more and it only helps if above 80mph. And required the full hydaulic external dual ram steering which was $7200 extra.

The mechanical drive and tab indicators was $1,700. You'll have an electronic trim gauge already built in to the dash. You don't really need to "know" where your tabs are on a small boat. Put them both up, then adjust one down to level boat.

The Kplanes were $3000

The k-bell blower is going to cost close to $10,000.

Do you need $3000 quick and quiet exhaust if you are going to spend $3000 on CMI's?

Definitely go with the good livorsi stuff, depth gauge, dual batteries, etc.

Bennett trim tabs are plenty for an 18 footer.

What are you trying to get out this boat? Seems like a lot of money to spend on an 18 footer which a hull designed in the early 60's.

If you buy the thing new, get the biggest engine they offer, and leave it alone- the warranty is one of the best parts of having a new boat!

Are you sure you can't tow a 22 footer? It comes with a sweet 496HO, and handles rougher water. Weighs 3500 pounds empty, probably 4000 loaded with fuel and beer.

If you want to go 90mph, I would get a different hull that will handle it a little better. Look how rounded the hull is at the transom. If I was looking for a boat just to go fast, I get a more modern hull with a stepped bottom.

Now I'm sure I'll get slammed by some of the guys running 90mph on the board, but 70mph is pretty fast for these boats, and you'll save about half the cost of the boat in the process.

Formula Jr
09-01-2006, 04:38 AM
"I definitely want some sort of windshield or faring, I don’t want the deck rail."

Houston, BEEP!, we have a problem......... :)

DonziDana
09-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Wow, what a great website this is! I just found it Monday and became a member yesterday. I have been looking to buy a new Donzi all year and local dealership is very little help. I post a simple message here and in one day I have had way more help here then 3 months with local dealership. You guys are great! Belonged to a few other forums before, nonboating ones, mostly were egos and BS and rude. Not here, you guys are AWESOME and very helpful! Thank you.
I only can tow MAX 4000lbs and that would be pushing it. I figured the 22 with trailer, cooler, gas, etc would be 4000 plus and I need to be around 3500lbs to be safe. Plus the 18 will fit with trailer in my garage.

I have a wife and 2 kids (wife wants windshield, her only request). I would like to compromise with race fairing but am not sure it is available?

The Whipple and headers will come after warranty is up.

I want a mid 80mph boat, once warranty is up. The MX 6.2 MPI is the biggest motor for the 18C.

Would like to get all the said options:
MX 6.2 MPI
Quick & Quiet Plus exh
Solid upholstery
Full external hydraulic steering w/tops plates
K-Planes 150 Series
Dual battery package
Hour meter
Windshield aluminum frame (would like race faring like Shelby?)
Depth finder
Fire Extinguisher System
Mechanical Trim & Drive Indicator
Livorsi Racing Controls w/trim
2" shortie Mercury Sport Master drive

And maybe a drive shower?

Thanks again guys, you are a great help!!!

Dr. Dan
09-01-2006, 06:24 AM
:smash: DonziDana ...Welcome...I would suggest if you can attend Event or Gathering like the Donzi Owners Rally in Sarasota...this September 29th Weekend. You could talk to alot of the Donzi Owners...have a hell of a weekend and get to meet some very knowledgable folks....who could direct you.

With the options you describe and the usage you are suggesting...you might even wanna consider riding in the Boat you are after....even see if you can snag a ride in a Minx or 22 Classic. The fun of these boats is each have there own strength and character...if I could, I would have a few...but I have no room for that right now...:eek!:

:spongebob Either way there are good people here to direct you...and yes our Resident Dealer of Choice is Frank Civitano of Typhoon Performance Marine...he has over 20 years of experience with these hulls....others on this site have even more...which is another topic altogether..

I think the quote of the $41,000 range is about $20K light if you seriously put all that on an 18...but that's just my opinion. I have no experience in over investing in a depreciating asset like a boat....I mean that would be silly...right? :bonk:

Good Luck and Most Important Have Fun.

Doc :wavey:
www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com :spongebob

Carl C
09-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Another dealer/member is Frankie @ pier 57 "sellsman11". Nothing against Frank; just another option with a good rep. I'd look for a boat in a dealer's stock with a nice option package that you like and then try to negotiate a good price. BTW the '07s aren't in stock yet TTBOMK. You will pay more if you custom order the boat. Don't rely on Donzi's outdated web site. Many dealers don't show up on their dealer locator. Good luck.:alligator

Just Say N20
09-01-2006, 09:19 AM
It would definately be worth riding in a few with and without the windshield. My wife also "requests" a windshield on our go fasts.

If her desire for the windshield is to be protected from the wind, it won't make her happy, because all it does is kind of redirect the wind into your face.

If her only request is for the windshield, because she really likes the look of the boat with it, versus without it, you have a winner. :yes:

Is Bald Eagles' 2006 sold?

RickSE
09-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Zimm17,
The Sport Master drive is just a different lower unit that bolts onto a Bravo-1XR upper. There are two versions available a 2" shortie and a standard length unit. Neither one requires ext. hydraulic steering; it's just a regular B-1 setup. The only major differences are the 2" shortie and the extended skeg on both lowers. The price difference between the B-1XR and B-1XR SSM/SM drives should be within $1K if not the same; at least according to the info I have from Merc. Could you be thinking of another drive or including, maybe an SM with ITS? The price difference between a regular B-1 and B-1XR SSM/SM is probably a couple grand. The SSM 2" shortie should pick up the speed of an 18C by 4-5 MPH but as Roadtrip SE has noted in another post the longer skeg may not be a good idea on our smaller boats. He was suggesting that the IMCO shortie is a better application on our Classics.

Yes, a 22 will be close to 5,000 lbs on a trailer and is a lot tougher to get in a garage. My old 18C fit in my 22-23' garage with a detachable tongue. The 22's are about 29' long on a trailer.

I like the windshields on an 18. Yes, they do funnel wind in your face but they keep you dry if you stuff the bow and you can duck behind the windshield to get a break from the wind when you want. Plus it gives you a place to mount wind-deflectors if you desire.

Doc, $41K is probably a regular boat without the custom stuff.

One thing to note is that the 07' base prices did go up from 06' :yes: making the 06' boats a good buy since there were no major option changes in the 07' Classics.

SM Drives (http://www.mercuryracing.com/products/drives/bravoonexrsportmaster.php)

DonziDana
09-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info.

I have been in a 16 with deck railing, 20 with windshield, and a 22 with race faring. I think the faring or windshield would be enough to have wind go over my kids riding in the backseat, who are ages 4 & 6. The windshield would be to help the little ones riding in back seat only.

Can you get race faring like what is on the Shelby on an 18? If not, I will stick with the windshield.

I defiantly want to order a new boat. I don’t want one that is in stock, unless it has just what I want and don’t want a used boat. This boating season is almost over and can wait on 2007 ordered boat for next season. Trying to get options and colors nailed down now.

I have been in only the Donzi 16, 20, 22. I love them all. Most boat I can tow is 18 and is also the biggest boat I can fit in my garage considering outdrive and trailer length.

I was told the SSM drive was just a little higher then getting an XR.

Think the following options will work for me, but I am opened minded to suggestions and help! You guys sure know your stuff and I thank you for your help

MX 6.2 MPI
2" shortie Mercury Sport Master drive/SSM
Drive shower
Quick & Quiet Plus exh
Solid upholstery
K-Planes 150 Series
Dual battery package
Hour meter
Windshield aluminum frame (would like race faring like Shelby?)
Depth finder
Fire Extinguisher System
Livorsi Racing Controls w/trim

I am still not sure on colors?

Need to get options and colors nailed down so I can get more of a concrete price

Magicallbill
09-01-2006, 04:41 PM
It would definately be worth riding in a few with and without the windshield. My wife also "requests" a windshield on our go fasts.
If her desire for the windshield is to be protected from the wind, it won't make her happy, because all it does is kind of redirect the wind into your face.
If her only request is for the windshield, because she really likes the look of the boat with it, versus without it, you have a winner. :yes:
Is Bald Eagles' 2006 sold?
This is correct info..
If it wasn't for the fact that I want to keep my Scorpion 18 all-original,the windshield would be history.
It drives me nuts, doesn't add to the look of the boat(In MY Opinion) and as Just Say N20 says, it exacerbates the wind flow, making it worse.
Otherwise,you can't go wrong with your purchase..These Donzi's are keeping me in boating for right now.

zimm17
09-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Zimm17,
The Sport Master drive is just a different lower unit that bolts onto a Bravo-1XR upper. There are two versions available a 2" shortie and a standard length unit. Neither one requires ext. hydraulic steering; it's just a regular B-1 setup. The only major differences are the 2" shortie and the extended skeg on both lowers.

You're right, it doesn't "require" external steering, but planning to go mid 80mph sure does! And that what's the sportmaster lower is for.

From what I've read on the forum here, adding the 2" shortie IMCO gains 2-3mph. So it sticks with the standard $1000/per MPH that seems to be about right for these boats.

Pancho
09-01-2006, 10:32 PM
I agree with Zimm. Tou are tallking about an expensive boat. You are should order this from Geoo. You will get a proven design that he will likely guarantee in the mid 80s.

Shanghied Again
09-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Dana: is this something that you are looking for? but tweeked:wink:

DonziDana
09-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Dana: is this something that you are looking for? but tweeked:wink:

Yeah, that's her!

DonziDana
09-03-2006, 06:56 AM
I've been told that the MX 6.2 MPI with the Whipple SC, offshore oil cooler, and CMI tube headers will make around 550-600HP and that should put me in the upper 80MPH area on the Classic 18. Is that info correct? I also am being told by a few that the Bravo X will hold up to around 600HP on an 18 since the weight is so much less then a typical 600HP/90MPH boat. So, should I go with the Bravo X?

Sofa King
09-03-2006, 11:21 AM
U have a wife and two kids and wanna get a NEW 18 to get into the 80's? :bonk:
I would rethink that scenario JMHO

Sofa King

Cuda
09-03-2006, 11:41 AM
How much is the upgrade to the 6.2? I doubt it will run much faster than a 350 mag. I've also heard the the 6.2 is not a good candidate for supercharging, due to the placement of the rings.

DonziDana
09-03-2006, 02:25 PM
U have a wife and two kids and wanna get a NEW 18 to get into the 80's? :bonk:
I would rethink that scenario JMHO
Sofa King
Yeah, thats right, I have a wife and two kids and I WANT A BRAND NEW 18 to run close to 90MPH. Being able to run 90 is different than having to run 90mph.
When I am with the wife and kids we cruise around 40mph and anchor out most of the day.
When I am with the boyz we run hard!!!

That is what the throttle is for!

Go 10-45mph on throttle with wife and kids.
Go 60-90mph hanging with the Boyz! :cool!:

DonziDana
09-03-2006, 03:13 PM
How much is the upgrade to the 6.2? I doubt it will run much faster than a 350 mag. I've also heard the the 6.2 is not a good candidate for supercharging, due to the placement of the rings.

The price difference between the 6.2 MPI/Bravo and the 350 Mag/Alpha is about $3000. But the 6.2 come with a bravo and the 350 mag comes with an alpha. So you get 27 more cubes, 20 more horsepower, little more toque and a bravo vs. an alpha.
I have talked to Whipple and CPPerformance; they say the only draw back to the 6.2 is that there is no oil cooler. They both suggest an offshore oil cooler. Neither said anything about the 6.2 is not a good candidate for supercharging, due to the placement of the rings? Not sure about that one.
I am no expert, I am sure one here would know something about that.
Thanks,
Dana

Sofa King
09-03-2006, 03:56 PM
What kinda vehicle do u have that will only tow 4K? Just curious cause a v8 2 wheel drive half ton is good for 8k? Might wanna trade her in with all that money u plan to spend on an 18 and strongly consider the 22 HO.
You'd take one heck of a bath iffin u ever plan to sell that white elephant.

My .02
Sofa King

DonziDana
09-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Well, I own a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a max tow capacity of 2000lbs and my wife has a Mazda MPV AWD 3.0 V-6 with a max tow capacity of 4,000lbs. Both are paid for. We only owe on our house and soon to be boat. Besides, the biggest factor is fitting a boat in my garage. The 18 will fit (trailer, outdrive and all) with a little room to walk around it and we can tow it with my wife’s vehicle. The 18 seems to be the best choice for us.

Full Throttle, 18 goes 70+ stock with a 6.2? Wow, nice! Thanks for your thread and advice. Might just go with the Bravo X, sounds like that is the word here. Thanks for everyones help and input. Great website here and you guys are very helpful.

Just need to get good pricing on the following:

MX 6.2 MPI
Bravo X
Blue gelcoat hullsides
Blue deck stripe and blue hatch stripe
Solid blue upholstery
K-Planes 150 Series
Dual battery package
Hour meter
Faring/Windscreen like 22 Shelby GT
Depth finder
Fire Extinguisher System
Livorsi Racing Controls w/trim on handle
Drive shower
Blue cockpit cover

Thanks again,
Dana

JohnnyOffshore
09-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey Dana,

The boat that you are ordering sounds AWESOME! When I sell my race boat, I would consider ordering the same boat as you are. Sure would be nice to have a boat that can fit in my garage too, that would save me a lot of elbow grease.

You need to talk to Frankie McSwain at Pier 57. I think he goes by "sellsman11" here on this site. He is a super nice guy, straight shooter, very helpful and would give you a great price. His website is: http://pier57.com/

My boss bought a boat from him, a Donzi 26ZX with a 502 and a Whipple and runs 90mph (and he just added a new drive, full external twin ram hydraulic steering, drive shower, HD offshore oil cooler, offshore water pick up, etc.) so go with what you’re ordering! Frankie gave him a great price! We live in Virginia and have a Donzi dealer 3 miles from our work and it is about 2 miles from my bosses house to the local dealer and it was well worth the price for him to drive all the way to Tenn. for his Donzi 26ZX from Frankie!

My race boat is at Pier 57 and is for sale. You can see it at: http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-6121.html When I sell it, I would really consider ordering a boat just like yours, but I might go for the SSM drive, I am a firm believer in OVERKILL! Beside, I like to be a little different too. Can see my boat for sale at: http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-6121.html

Let me know how you’re Classic 18 with those options turns out and how it runs! Let me know the price too… if you don’t mind. Heck, let me know if you want to trade for my race boat, lol!

Contact Frankie McSwain at pier57.com, email is: frankie@pier57.com, or call him at 1-888-4-PIER57

Good Luck,
Johnny

Sofa King
09-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Have u checked out the new Renkin 18's?

Sweet ass bidness
Sofa king

Cuda
09-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Have u checked out the new Renkin 18's?
Sweet ass bidness
Sofa king
Arip, did you change your screen name?

Formula Jr
09-04-2006, 06:01 AM
If you newbys knew how many Scotts there were on this board, then it would all make sense. :wink:

Sometimes you just need two boats. And not make one fit both.

This one, expensive boat, isn't going to work for you Dana in the long run.

We are not Donzi Marine, so we can say that.

You want a family boat, and then you want an 18 classic that goes in the high 80's.

The two are exclusive. You can get both for about 36K. 6K for the family boat, and 30K for the pure sport. You could pick up any 18 cabin boat, with head, that runs in the 40's for 6K. And Geoo's 18 ran in the 100+ and was for sale for 25k or so.

You wanted opinions.

Carl C
09-04-2006, 06:36 AM
But our fearless leader is "Scot" with one t! Ditto on Frankie @ pier 57; I also bought my boat from him. They will arrange delivery and everything else but also contact "ShanghiedAgain". He's also a straight up dealer who helps support this site. Can an 18C safely go 90?:eek!: .........MP:Sybil:rlol:

DonziDana
09-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Geeesshh…. How did we get so off topic?
Thanks for the help and opinions guys. Very helpful.
I will go with the Donzi Classic 18 with said options as before, (ones Donzi will let me get,
and when warranty is up I will get the Whipple, Offshore Oil Cooler, CMI Sport Tube Headers)

MX 6.2 MPI
Bravo X or XR or XR SSM (2" shortie)
Blue gelcoat hullsides
Blue deck stripe and blue hatch stripe
Solid blue upholstery
K-Planes 150 Series
Dual battery package
Hour meter
Faring/Windscreen like 22 Shelby GT
Depth finder
Fire Extinguisher System
Livorsi Racing Controls w/trim on handle
Drive shower
Blue cockpit cover

Just not sure on the outdrive yet. I will get in contact with the expert dealers here and let them guide me though the last few details. Thanks again for the help and all...
This is a great site with lots of info and experience. Look forward to owning a Donzi and hanging out with you guys.

Dana

BaldEagle
09-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Dana,
Got a 2006 18C with 42 hours on it as follows:
6.2MPI
Bravo Drive
Mirage+ 25P Prop
Internal Hyd Steering
Engine Room Fire Ext
Single Battery w/ Switch
Livorsi Depth Sounder
Livorsi Monster Gauges
Bennett Tabs with LED Trimdicator
Std Windshield
CORSA Q&Q Plus Exhaust
CORSA Slant Cut Tips
SONY CD Stereo
Hour Meter
Loadmaster Trailer with brakes and Spare Tire with holder
White/red with Red hull sides
Simrek HALO Drive Shower
5 Year Extended Full Mercruiser Warrantee (Engine/Drive Etc)

Hasn't been advertised. Many board members have seen it. If you have any interest PM me.

DonziDana
09-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey Eagle,
Sounds like a sweet ride you have there, but I perfer to custom order one brand new, just the way I want. If Donzi lets me. But thank you, love to see some pictures of your 18. How fast is it your 18 with that 6.2MPI? Were you happy with it? Did you wish you had opt for any thing different, option wise?
Thanks,
Dana

Dana,
Got a 2006 18C with 42 hours on it as follows:
6.2MPI
Bravo Drive
Mirage+ 25P Prop
Internal Hyd Steering
Engine Room Fire Ext
Single Battery w/ Switch
Livorsi Depth Sounder
Livorsi Monster Gauges
Bennett Tabs with LED Trimdicator
Std Windshield
CORSA Q&Q Plus Exhaust
CORSA Slant Cut Tips
SONY CD Stereo
Hour Meter
Loadmaster Trailer with brakes and Spare Tire with holder
White/red with Red hull sides
Simrek HALO Drive Shower
5 Year Extended Full Mercruiser Warrantee (Engine/Drive Etc)
Hasn't been advertised. Many board members have seen it. If you have any interest PM me.

blackhawk
09-08-2006, 03:22 PM
DonziDana, it sounds like you know what you want. But I personally wouldn't spend the money on the CMIs if you;re going to whipple it. You will see very little gain. Just my $.02.

BaldEagle
09-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Dana, I ordered my 18 the way I wanted it. There were no other factory options except for 2 batteries. It runs 70 mph gps. The 6.2/bravo pkg is perfect for this boat. I would recommend it to the most discriminating Donzi owner. Hope you are as pleased with your new one as I was. I have 5 boats right now, which of course I dont view as a problem, and my latest is a 22 which is a little less flighty on Lake MI where I do most of my boating. I am in no hurry to let my 18 go and as you will soon find out they have a high fun quotient. There are faster top end boats but the 18 gets there a lot quicker than most. Good Luck.