PDA

View Full Version : The winner is... I need help!

Donziweasel
08-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Sorry, no winner yet. I had some trouble at the lake, but I am sure you guys can help me figure it out.

Had to jump it becuase the battery was dead. Once I had the cables on it fired immediatly (better than stock actually). Reved nice and sounded great. I was pretty amped and ready to run her.

Got on the lake, threw the throttle down about a 2/3 and she hesitated, then slowly came out of the hole. The problem though, is that is was bogging bad. Just felt and sounded wrong. I got her up to 3000 RPM's and let her run for a few minutes. I then went wide open and she just wouldn't go. Bogged down and started slowing down. I backed off then slowly increased the thottle little bits at a time. She would bog, then catch up and run fine at that RPM. Went like this to WOT and she was running 52.2 on the GPS at 4300 (56 on the speedo) and she was still climbing very very slowly wheh I decided to back off so I wouldn't do any damage hopefully.

She would also bog in a turn just running mid range throttle. I was so pissed. All that work:mad:

Put her on the trailer, popped the hatch to turn off the battery and could smell a little fuel.

I am thinking she needs to be re-jetted. I left the carb stock but she just feels rich. No black smoke or unburned fuel when running and would rev in nuetral without bogging. Had two freinds with me and the first run was solo, but next was with the two friends and the bogging seemed a little worse with the weight. Oil Pressure was great, never ran above 255 temp.

Any help would be much appreciate. Maybe I will make the 6 pack a case.:bonk:

BUIZILLA
08-30-2006, 08:14 PM
never ran above 255 temp.
:bonk:
okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.........

gcarter
08-30-2006, 08:18 PM
I don't normally chime in on engine analysis, but maybe the timing is a bit retarded?

Donziweasel
08-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Temp was a typo, meant 155. I am going to go over the basics tommorrow- timing, firing order, choke, etc.... Any other insight would help.

Carl C
08-30-2006, 09:01 PM
If it's just a temporary bog then you may need high volume accelerator pumps. What kind of carb? Could it be too big?

mrfixxall
08-30-2006, 09:07 PM
If i remember correctly you were using a 600 cfm carb...holly or edlbrock?

Donziweasel
08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
600 Edelbrock Marine:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL%2D1409&N=700+400065+115&autoview=sku

I don't think the carb is too much, maybe even a little conservative.

mrfixxall
08-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Are the sparkplugs black? on those carbs the a/f mixture screws are also prt of the part throttle circuit,if their out too far it will boug..I had the best luck with 1 turn out..do you have a advance timing light?Whats the total timing at 3500 rpm? and did you degree your cam or at leaste check it with a dgree wheel....

Donziweasel
08-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Cam was degreed, going to check timing in the morning.
May sound like a stupid question, but if the battery was dead and I had to jump it, could that possibly make the choke bind?

Cuda
08-31-2006, 07:37 AM
Cam was degreed, going to check timing in the morning.
May sound like a stupid question, but if the battery was dead and I had to jump it, could that possibly make the choke bind?
No, but check the choke when it's warm. I just had to adjust mine two days ago on the exact same carb. Fully warmed up, the choke was still half closed.

MOP
08-31-2006, 09:09 AM
Boggin in a turn may indicate that the floats are to high, another thougt is the carb sitting fairly level. I had to put a wedge under one to get the boat to run right. Sounds like it just could not burn off the fuel fast enough!

blackhawk
08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
I know it sounds simple but check your grounds! I had a friend chase his tail for a month when he was down 600 rpm and it ended up being a ground cable from the battery.

Donziweasel
08-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Got the boat to my shop and am pulling off the carb. The reason the battery was dead is becuase I left the switch on for a few days. For some reason, the guage lights are always on, no matter where the switch is positioned.

The more I think about it, it really felt like a carb issue. I am going to check floats, jets, the usuall. Then will reinstall, fire her up and check timing, but I am sure I had it at 14 degrees tap dead. The motor recommends 12, but I advanced it just a little. Makes me wish I had fuel injection.

After sleeping on it, I am now thinking that it is not running to rich. The problems I had with my old boat (1997 21ft Milan w/454) running rich were not evident. No black smoke, smell of unburned fuel, and when the secondaries opened up it would almost stall for a split second and bog. Re-jetting cured it, but this was different from what happened yesterday.

Donziweasel
08-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Ground was a little loose on the battery terminal, but snug. Looking at floats and choke right now. Gotta be the carb.