PDA

View Full Version : What to use for battery shelf?

zimm17
08-29-2006, 03:57 AM
My 22 classic has what appears to be a 5/8" thick (if that) white plastic board spanning the stringers in the engine compartment with two group 24 batteries on top of it in cheapo nylon holders. The plastic is flexing so much, the batteries are sagging and almost touching each other.

Any ideas of what to make a new shelf out of? I'm thinking a piece of thick marine plywood with a few wraps of fiberglass to seal it, then a pair of rex marine cast battery boxes.

Although if you look at the attached picture, maybe I can just bolt the battery boxes directly to the stringers themselves and get rid of the shelf. The problem is that in between the stringers is my heat exchanger setup, so I would have to mount it to the outsides of the stringers. Don't know if there's room.

Any ideas/pictures?

zimm17
08-29-2006, 05:11 AM
What the heck is "starboard"?

Also, excuse my ghetto cooling hose in that picture- it has since been redone with some high dollar metal flex hose that routes from the waterpump, down directly to the heat exchanger.

gcarter
08-29-2006, 07:35 PM
King Starboard is solid polyethelene board that is used to replace plywood on boats. It comes in various thicknesses and also pebble or smoothe finish.
However it suffers like most other plastics in that there is no structural grain and is therefore not very stiff.
Bolt some aluminum angles under it or replace it with some other material that's better suited to this application

Dr. Dan
08-30-2006, 05:46 AM
:bonk: Here is the 3/4" Ply I used to secure my Dual Batteries.
http://atlanticcoastdonzi.com/gallery/members_drdan/batteryarea

I purchased Eddie Marine Boxes, Fusion Coted Teal
http://atlanticcoastdonzi.com/gallery/members_drdan/Bat_Boxes

Like anything in a boat...ya need to check the fasteners on occassion, the Polished Steps are cool looking but a PIA to install, I take the batteries out at the end of the Season...and it's always fun... but they do look cool as hell.

I also keep Red and Black Rubber Covers over the Terminals to prevent accidental contact to the "Step" while I am installing them... obviously offering a jump, or getting a jump with these in place is not going to happen...there are great Battering Box options available now... shop around.
Eddie Marine, Dana Marine,Trick Marine, Teague Custom Marine....everyone has something.

Good Luck

Doc :smash:

Cuda
10-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Instead of Starboard, get pvc board. It's lighter, stiffer, and has more structural integrity than Starboard, and best of all, you can glue it together. NOTHING will glue starboard together. Oh, and it cost less too. :)

I wish I had known about pvc board when I made the sunpad/engine hatch for my Formla. :(

gcarter
10-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Another idea besides Cuda's is use marine plywood and seal it with a penetrating sealing epoxy. System Three has a product like this called Clearcoat. Plywood is extremely stiff for its thickness and once you seal it w/epoxy it will be rot proof. Then paint it w/white bilgecoat.

John W
10-14-2006, 11:59 PM
If yo u can find it I would use a product called Coosa Composite/ Won't rot, absorb water, can be painted and holds screws. Unfortunately it is very expensive, but worth it.
JW

rustnrot
10-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Please post a link to the PVC board.....

Cuda
10-15-2006, 09:21 AM
I bought it at Farco Plastics in Orlando. Check your yellow pages for plastics dealers. Another thing is that once you glue it together, it won't come loose. Screws in Starboard will. You can through bolt starboard, with washers on both ends, but in some places, that's just not feasable.

zimm17
10-16-2006, 01:38 AM
So if I go with a 3/4" PVC board, it won't sag in the middle with two batteries on it? That looks a lot easier than sealing and gel coating a piece of plywood.

gcarter
10-16-2006, 05:31 AM
So if I go with a 3/4" PVC board, it won't sag in the middle with two batteries on it? That looks a lot easier than sealing and gel coating a piece of plywood.
I wouldn't hold my breath till you try it.
I personally have no experience w/it, but like most plastics, it has no directional grain structure.
Ya don't have to gel plywood either, just seal it w/penetrating epoxy.
In fact I would never gel wood. It's much too brittle for use on wood.

Cuda
10-16-2006, 02:44 PM
I would think so, but if there's any doubt, you can GLUE a piece under it in the middle vertically, and not have to worry about it.