PDA

View Full Version : classic-16 faster please

ronnie d
08-27-2006, 04:23 PM
i bought a classic 16 with a 350 mag recently. very fun to drive but after i borrowed a gps i saw that i was miss informed about the top end speed. with the 21 p stainless prop and no luggage i'm only running 55 when i was told during purchase that it ran around 65. anyway it's mine now. does this speed sound like the best i can look for or is there hope maybe for a little more. i did try a 25 p prop and it didn't seem to help any. they did swap out the outdrives also when they pulled the 4.3lx out. should i drive it like it is and be happy or is there something under an arm and a leg that i can do for it.

MOP
08-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi the guys will need more info to get you on track. Drive ratio (it is on the right side stamped into the decal), WOT RPM with the props you tried. 55 is weak something is not right, a 350Mag will get a 18 at ot near 65 should get a mile or two more in a 16.

Phil

smokediver
08-27-2006, 05:43 PM
well,
the 16 was also offered with a 5.0 carbed at 220 horse in gthe later '90s . I am thinking that if the drive was changed it was probably changed from the 1.8 to the 1.47 . a 23 would give you the best all around performance if it were a mirage plus . here is a heads up .... if it were me , i would find the RIGHT M+ prop and have it labbed unless you go with a shorter outdrive . I have owned my 16 for 8 years , have been out on it at least once a week since it was new on average , and the M+ is the best all around prop . Mr X told me that a long time ago and after 10 different props with different pitches , labbed , normal , you name it , Ted was right on .... I went from the 4.3 to the V-8 . trust me and save yourself some loot ....

MOP
08-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Jamie it was a swap from the 6 to the Mag!

CrackerJack
08-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Go to this link and you can calculate you speed based on different props, drive ratios and RPM's. If all you can turn is 4500 rpm's, then that is about the correct speed with a 21 pitch prop and a 1.5 drive ratio, using a 9% slip factor. I would also think you should be able to get 4800-5000 rpm's with that engine. You may not have enough HP if you have a 1.5 drive ratio to turn a bigger pitch prop.

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm