PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte, NC Antique Boat Show

rustnrot
08-27-2006, 07:18 AM
http://www.charlotteantiqueboatshow.com/
Sept. 8,9,10
This is a great show we go to almost every year. Lots of classic glass and a couple of Donzis everytime. You have to be a member of the ACBS (Antique Classic Boating Society) to exhibit, but it IS a public lake......
Just wanted to let you all know in case you are nearby...
BTW, there may be as many as 20 Jersey Skiffs at this show. If you are trying to keep yourself from buying one of these babies, it might be best to stay away......!
Mike will be there with his mahogany-decked Classic 16 and hopefully Mark with his 1967 v-drive Classic 16 as well. I will have a just completed 1934 Gar Wood Speedster Replica with rotary engine power.
We will have a vendor booth, stop by, there will be refreshments under the table....

Greg K
09-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Enjoy

Greg K
09-10-2006, 01:12 AM
More..

Greg K
09-10-2006, 01:14 AM
a few more

rustnrot
09-10-2006, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the pics, Greg. We are still at the show this Sunday am and not had time to download photos. The Gar Wood speedster replica I just finished is the last boat on your first set of pictures, mazda rotary engine powered. I literally finished the boat hours before the show on Friday morning before we left from Augusta, GA. I am also in the pic, back to camera on corner of dock.

Also of interest is Mike Yobe's, 16' v drive classic 16 with mahogany deck.

boldts
09-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Greg - Thanks for the pictures. I had a chance to ride in Tom Riggles wood Chris called Slo Dancin while I was in GA the last couple weeks. I'd be suprised if he were not at this show somewhere. What a blast from the past when you ride in those wood boats. For a 6 cylinder, it was every bit as loud if not louder than my past thru hull Donzi boats. Kinda cool and being able to sit in the back with no idea where the boat is heading due to the ride attitude, you have to really trust the driver. Was neat to put my hand over the side and feel the spray coming from under the boat.

Also, I wish you good luck in selling your 22 Classic. Kinda surprised when I saw it for sale, but I maybe better than some, know that things in life change from time to time.

I know I may have bashed the wood deck 16 a bit in the past, but seeing it in the water under use, makes me think it is really a cool looking Donzi with a lot of ingenuity put into it. A bench seat 16' Classic and a v-drive to boot. Very nice work! I'd like to apologize for any previous "That's not the way a Donzi should look!" statements I may have made. Very classy looking!

Rustnrot - The Gar replica looks fantastic! Just shows everything doesn't have to necessarily be an original to still be special.

Greg K
09-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Tom's Slo Dancin was there, never did run into him there though. Think he was gone for dinner or shopping with June.
Tom's is just left of this 2005 model.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23915&d=1157868687
Jersey skiff with about 6 inches of water in it :boggled:
The 16 Donzi was active and giving alot of rides.
Overall a good showing and all the slips were pretty much full.