PDA

View Full Version : New Sea H2O Pump But NO Flow?!

Injun Joe
08-26-2006, 07:53 PM
I was pulling the kids on the tube last weekend and noticed higher than normal H2O temps at low speeds (185 vs 165.) When flushing the freshwater cooling system - No water was coming out of the exhaust - I shut it down and pulled the sea water pump to find the impeller blades pretty much destroyed. I found (i think) all of the pieces. I replaced the entire assembly - Housing, impeller, backing plate and o-rings but still no water is coming out of the exhaust with the ear-muffs on in the driveway. What gives? Any ideas? Boat is '96 22' Blackhawk w/ 502... Revolution Marine exhaust is the only mod.

Thanks,
Craig:confused:

Cuda
08-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Did you backflush the system to get the chunks of impeller out?

Injun Joe
08-26-2006, 08:00 PM
I backflushed the oil/water cooler, and all of the lines... Also the inlet hose to the drive...

I can feel/smell exhaust at the manifold riser bypass tube instead of water... Is this normal?

-CH

mrfixxall
08-26-2006, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=Injun Joe]I backflushed the oil/water cooler, and all of the lines... Also the inlet hose to the drive...
I can feel/smell exhaust at the manifold riser bypass tube instead of water... Is this normal?
-CH[/QUOT

check the BIG exhaust hose that connects the risers to the exhaust tips and or to the y pipe....if you ran the boat too long without the proper water flo it will melt the exhaust hoses and poss the water hoses also..check them all..

If the exhaust tubes are real flimsy replace them..

Tony
08-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Injun, I've got the same year boat, and I found lots of old impellor chunks on the foreward side of the oil cooler. These chunks would not flush out, they were melded into the screen holes and had to be picked out by hand. Good luck!

conyo
08-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Hey Injun,
Just a reccomendation, get a sea strainer! There are many different types to fit ANY budget. The initial price you pay is WAY worth the insurance incase you have an impeller failure again. I got one with dual 1-1/4" inlets and outlets. It also has an integrated fuel/power steering cooling coil. It works flawlessly and can be cleaned real fast.
Just remember to install it before anything else (ie. before the oil coolers etc!)
Just my 2 cents

Jeff

Sofa King
08-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Make sure the in and out are correct.

rustnrot
08-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Wow, that thing looks like it came off the Space Shuttle. Great idea about putting the strainer AFTER the sea water pump. In the past I put it on the suction line but that does not help when the impeller pukes.

Cuda
08-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Wow, that thing looks like it came off the Space Shuttle. Great idea about putting the strainer AFTER the sea water pump. In the past I put it on the suction line but that does not help when the impeller pukes.
It needs to be on the suction side of the pump, you need to filter the water before it gets to the impeller.

MOP
08-27-2006, 01:35 PM
It needs to be on the suction side of the pump, you need to filter the water before it gets to the impeller.
I agree and have not seen it done differently but the addition of a wire mess catch after the pump would be a nice thing, some of the pieces often hang in the coolers even with a decent flush.

Pismo
08-27-2006, 06:40 PM
You already have a mesh after the raw water pump, the oil cooler. It and the steering cooler will catch everything. They are their hoses back to the pump must be checked thoroughly. Anything that gets thru those little tubes in the oil cooler will go all the way thru.

Injun Joe
08-27-2006, 09:10 PM
The inlet hose on the sea water pump was sucking air... I trimmed off the damaged end of the hose and water flowed!

Thanks for all of the help... I will be instaling a sea strainer before too long.

-CH

conyo
08-28-2006, 02:02 AM

I have an OMC king cobra drive which has the rubber impeller/pump in the leg. I was unable to put the strainer before the pump. If my impeller does fail the mesh size of the strainer are alot smaller than the oil cooler holes and would pass any rubber particles through the system. Neat thing on the drive is there is a pretty fine mesh installed at the drive water pick-up so I'm not to worried about crap being pulled into the pump.

conyo
08-28-2006, 02:10 AM
You already have a mesh after the raw water pump, the oil cooler. It and the steering cooler will catch everything. They are their hoses back to the pump must be checked thoroughly. Anything that gets thru those little tubes in the oil cooler will go all the way thru.

Gets pretty messy if you use the oil cooler as a strainer. You would have to drain the oil and disconnect the lines to get the cooler out (maybe depending on where/how its installed). Its alot easier to clean a strainer. Sometimes a pain in the ass to install and plumb but its worth it.
Just a suggestion