PDA

View Full Version : Is Bilt-Rite the way to go?

TOPSY II
08-26-2006, 12:42 PM
OK Troops..I'm at a quandry! Mama wants a "bigger Donzi"..I should jump at that right?...But I love my lil Minx, but she needs a new interior., and a bunch of other "little stuff". My question is should I put the $ into the interior and finish what I started, or let her go "as is", and jump into the 28's. The Minx isn't perfect, what '86 is unless it's George Carter's or an original owner boat, but she's in pretty darn good shape, I love the fact that "there just ain't a lot of them left", and it's just a S _ _ _ Load of fun.

Looking for input guys!...always a lot of insight here, and I'm looking for some.

THANKS!:confused:

TOPSYII

olredalert
08-26-2006, 01:07 PM
------Well,,,Topsy,,,,,,It would have been the way to go before they announced a short while back that they were closing thier doors. I wouldnt give up on them yet as some sort of re-formation may happen, but I dont think we have heard about it here yet......And Bilt-Rite would have let us know............Bill S

Marlin275
08-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Bilt-Rite is closing down no interiors, just covers and carpet.

Tony
08-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Drop Ken (MINXGUY) a line, he has a brand new Bilt Rite Minx interior, and in fact a Minx to go with it, for sale.

mrfixxall
08-26-2006, 03:33 PM
OK Troops..I'm at a quandry! Mama wants a "bigger Donzi"..I should jump at that right?...But I love my lil Minx, but she needs a new interior., and a bunch of other "little stuff". My question is should I put the $ into the interior and finish what I started, or let her go "as is", and jump into the 28's. The Minx isn't perfect, what '86 is unless it's George Carter's or an original owner boat, but she's in pretty darn good shape, I love the fact that "there just ain't a lot of them left", and it's just a S _ _ _ Load of fun.
Looking for input guys!...always a lot of insight here, and I'm looking for some.
THANKS!:confused:
TOPSYII

topsy,,From what ive read builtrite is not doing interiors anymore....Im going back 6 yrs theirs was a guy off of old 301 i forgot which county,palmmetto,manate or bradington anyways this guy does some really nice work...when i talked he stated that he use to work for donzi in their interior shop and told me that he has all the patterns for all the old donzi's..
let your fingers do the walking,,i wish i could remember the name of his shop....

Md

TOPSY II
08-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the input...hadn't heard the bad news @ Bilt-Rite, as to MinxGuys' interior, isn't his with Blue Piping?..I've got the Honey/Red combo. I got a qoute today from a local here in Ft. Myers...$2100.00 OUCH!, seemed a bit stiff, re-did the two seats in my Speed Skiff for $400.00, with the same gauge material, but that was last year, and in Ga.

Maybe I should buy my wife that REALLY HEAVY DUTY sewing machine:wink:, and let her have a go at it :eek!: :eek!:

TOPSY II

'86 Minx
'80 Bender Speed Skiff (445HP)

knots2u
08-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Im going back 6 yrs theirs was a guy off of old 301 i forgot which county,palmmetto,manate or bradington anyways this guy does some really nice work...when i talked he stated that he use to work for donzi in their interior shop and told me that he has all the patterns for all the old donzi's..
let your fingers do the walking,,i wish i could remember the name of his shop....

That would be Baker county and the original owners John & Sue Harmon. $2100?!?!? So if I gave you $300 off the quote you would probably be happy right? How about $1380 and you do nothing but call. No sending in your old rear cushions to copy and no reupholstering your old buckets. Bilt-Rite is not finished, we are making a list of people wanting to purchase interiors. The longer it takes to put a deal together the longer we will continue to supply interiors , up to a point. When and if Bilt-Rite is sold I can assure you it will be to qualified people. When new owners take over they will work from the list just as we did when Bilt-Rite was purchased from John & Sue.

Bob
Bilt-Rite Uph.

Ryan23
08-31-2006, 09:17 PM
That would be Baker county and the original owners John & Sue Harmon. $2100?!?!? So if I gave you $300 off the quote you would probably be happy right? How about $1380 and you do nothing but call. No sending in your old rear cushions to copy and no reupholstering your old buckets. Bilt-Rite is not finished, we are making a list of people wanting to purchase interiors. The longer it takes to put a deal together the longer we will continue to supply interiors , up to a point. When and if Bilt-Rite is sold I can assure you it will be to qualified people. When new owners take over they will work from the list just as we did when Bilt-Rite was purchased from John & Sue.
Bob
Bilt-Rite Uph.

Bob -
Great news! Does that mean you might have an interest in taking on my Spitfire's interior ;) ? If so, please, oh please, put me on the list. My rear seat cushion is falling apart more and more each day. As I told you before, I can ship anything down your way that you may need.

Take care,

Ryan

farmer tx
09-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Bob, I tried to email you but got an error. Have you changed your email address?

knots2u
09-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Ryan, give me a call when you can. Farmer Tx, my email address is still biltriteuph@aol.com or feel free to give me a call at 540-981-1711.

More later,
Bob

mrfixxall
09-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Bob
Bilt-Rite Uph.

Ya see i know good work when i see it....

good luck bob on your next journey..

TOPSY II
09-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Just gave the folks @ BiltRite a call...a new interior it is! Keeping the Minx, finish her up and just enjoy the Hell out of her! ( I'll still work on Mama for the 28 and let her think it was her idea all along. Hmmm. now where do I hide the Jersey Speed Skiff? Life is just FULL of challenges!

Thanks to all for advise/ideas..hope to see many of you all in Sarasota! George..THANKS for the offer to "hang" on your Minx, with any luck I might still bring mine, I just won't put it next to yours!!!( unless I'm looking to do before & after shots.)

TOPSY II:beer:

wrussellw
09-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Bob
I am close to finalizing a purchase on a '86 22. Could you post an estimate or PM me on a full interior white/red piping. Thanks.
Rootsy I will know exactly how much this project will cost before I start.:wink:

Cuda
09-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Great news that Bilt Rite is still making interiors. I've been depressed every since I read they weren't.

knots2u
09-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Best thing to do is shoot me an email with details of what you need. Include year and type (16, 18, 22, Minx, etc.) of boat, starboard or port steering, and colors (white w/red piping, etc) you are looking for. I'll print out the email and add the information to my list.
Someone sent me a sample of MatWorks carpet :eek!:, my 20 ounce carpet, which we stopped using, is way better than their sample, I now offer only 40 ounce.:yes:
Thanks,
Bob
biltriteuph@aol.com

Magicallbill
09-05-2006, 01:58 AM
Bob; You guys did two Ski Sporter Interiors a few months ago..Red and Blue''
Fabulous;first-rate work
The boats were in Saguatuck,Michigan at the time.

Thanks so much,

Bill Hayes.

knots2u
09-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Bill,
I remember doing those interiors for you and your son Jason. I saw the pictures you posted of your boat, it looks brand new, you did an excellent job! How is Jason's boat coming along?

Bob

Magicallbill
09-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Not so quick as we'd hoped.
Randy(my mechanic-restorer)and I blew apart the upper part of my Volvo on prop-testing runs,so Jason wanted me to have HIS upper on his 280 to expidite mine getting home.
The unfortunate by-product of that move is that his is delayed longer than we'd wanted while he gets his drive options together.
Yeah, I remember not wanting to go with the striping,or "piping" on my blue seats,as you all said that Donzi didn't do that back in the day.Jason opted to have it on his red seats,and it looks great.
So does mine...
We all win;thanks again that upholstery is as good as it can be.

Bill Hayes..

Cuda
09-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Bob, did they make different sliders for the Minx? I bought the extra set that Chuck had, and I cannot for the life of me get all four bolts through the slider and into the seat. Is there some trick I'm missing? At one point, I could get the two front one's in, and one of the back one's, but then it wouldn't slide.

gcarter
09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Bob, did they make different sliders for the Minx? I bought the extra set that Chuck had, and I cannot for the life of me get all four bolts through the slider and into the seat. Is there some trick I'm missing? At one point, I could get the two front one's in, and one of the back one's, but then it wouldn't slide.
You'd be happier with Garelick (?). Trust me, you would. :)

knots2u
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Cuda,
The blue with red piping? I remember them, they were born this time last year!:happy_bi: Chuck had Springfield Sliders on his buckets so the bolt pattern is 5" x 12", the bolts are 1/4 - 20, you will need 1 3/4 long, or 2" and a few extra washers.
Bob
Bilt-Rite Uph.

Cuda
09-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Cuda,
The blue with red piping? I remember them, they were born this time last year!:happy_bi: Chuck had Springfield Sliders on his buckets so the bolt pattern is 5" x 12", the bolts are 1/4 - 20, you will need 1 3/4 long, or 2" and a few extra washers.
Bob
Bilt-Rite Uph.
Yep, that's the ones. I saw where you hat 1/4x20 by 1.5" written on the bottoms. Can I just lift the vinyl from the top of the seat base and drill a hole down through them, and staple the vinyl back?

Cuda
09-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Beautiful seats by the way. Debbie is trying to tell me they would look better in her 22, but then I'd have to redo the padded coaming around the cockpit.

Cuda
09-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Here's where I am so far. :(

CHACHI
09-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Cuda, do all 4 holes in the slider line up to the holes in the seat bottom? When I had John (Bilt-Rite Fla) build my seats he wanted to know the bolt spacing front to rear because he said they (Donzi) had two different bolt patterns for the sliders. Ken

Cuda
09-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Cuda, do all 4 holes in the slider line up to the holes in the seat bottom? When I had John (Bilt-Rite Fla) build my seats he wanted to know the bolt spacing front to rear because he said they (Donzi) had two different bolt patterns for the sliders. Ken
I figured that must be the case. The best I could do was get three in, and then it would not slide, and would only get them in with the seat all the way forward. I stopped at Daytona Bolt today to get the stuff to fix them. No big deal.

knots2u
09-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Actually there are 5 different bolt patterns, I always ask customers as well. Ken, didn't I do your seats? Anyway Cuda, looking at the pictures of your sliders 5" x 12" doesn't look far off, am I being fooled by the picture? You could remove the vinyl under the cushion & drill new holes, re-use the t-nuts or you could just drill through the vinyl & add new t-nuts, your choice.
Bob
Bilt-Rite Uph.