PDA

View Full Version : drum to discs

22zxla
08-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Regreased my bearings last week before a 500 mile trip. Well noticed how rusted the drum componets were and one side the drum wouldnt freely move. Anyway i just took them off and trailered without brakes. stopped ok but was thinking bout changing to discs. Every web site that sell them have the package and states how easy it is to do. Wanted to see if anyone has done it and was it easy as they state? Also do you need to change the actuator? thanks in advance

yeller
08-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Haven't done it, but did check it out because I was going on holidays and the disc brakes on my trailer were shot. Couldn't get replacement parts in time. Looked at my buddies trailer cause I was going to steal his drum brakes. A friend (Blueliner) kindly let me borrow his trailer, so I didn't end up doing the swap. Anyhow.....it does look like a very simple swap. 4 bolts and you're done.

BigGrizzly
08-26-2006, 07:33 AM
i have done this twice. It is easy as stated. hardest part and dirtiest is removal of the drums. The actuator on drum breaks have a check valve in then that must be removed or the pads on the disks won't retract. I did this once on one set, on the other I opted for the new actuator, because it had a better manual lockout. I used Tie-Down Stainles disks and Thier actuator. I used them because I sometimes go in salt water and know I may not be able to clean them that well at that moment. The other reason for SS was I don't use it in the winter and don't use it then so they won't rust. I have had them since 1999 and had my first issue comming back from Cumberland and lost a seal and the rotor looked scored but it wasn't bad at all. I have replaced pads twice, once because They were worn and the next time because I felt like it. I have over 14,000 miles on them with a fair amount of stop and go traffic. Replacement pads are $32 a pair from Overtons.

mrfixxall
08-26-2006, 11:04 AM
I use dexter disc brake kits,,just make sure you order the rubber hose kit for the calipers. all the disc brake kits dont come with the rubber hoses and like grizz said read the instructions on modifying the brake accuator or replace it with a disc brake one...

yeller
08-26-2006, 11:21 AM
As a side note: if you get the type Griz mentions, they make a 10" and 12" rotor. Opt for the larger. My trailer has the 10" and not near large enough. I'll be ordering another set for the 2nd axle soon.

22zxla
08-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies! Knew i would get some useful info. I noticed they had 10in and 12in discs, i just assumed you had to go back with the size of the drums.I will opt for the bigger discs. thanks again!

yeller
08-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Make sure the 12" will clear the inside of your rims... Clearance shouldn't be an issue. They call them 10" & 12", but really they are about 9" & 10.5"...if I remember correctly.
Always wise to double check measurements though.