PDA

View Full Version : Is this a factory setup?

Vegas Classic
08-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi there, noob here - kinda sorta, we had a sweet 16' as a kid and I've loved them ever since. I'm looking at a '98 Classic 18', that appears to be in great condition and my preferred color scheme, but I would like to get more info on the engine from people in the know. The sellers told me they are unsure of the hours because they can't check the computer since the boat is carbed. Can you guys give me more info on this setup? Maybe some pros and cons? TIA

Frank

http://homepage.mac.com/gtifrank/.Public/350.jpg

onesubdrvr
08-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Well, I can tell you this, that is not factory intake manifold or Carb, I really can't say much else about that. My computer eyes aren't very good either.

What style drive is on the boat?

Engine could be anywhere between 260 and 300hp if it were stock, no telling with this intake and carb, as the cam / other things may have been changed.

Best of luck with it.
Wayne

smokediver
08-25-2006, 08:21 PM
my 1998 engine had the tbolt4 ignition but it was a 6 cyl . that is probably a 5.7 and came with a 2bbl . the warranty was voided once the intake was replaced . probably around 300 horse give or take a few . the cam in the 350mag is the same as in the 2bbl 5.7 ...

Vegas Classic
08-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. The engine is a 5.7 300hp. So I guess that means it was most likely a two bbl converted to a 4 barrel?

Here's the outdrive:

http://homepage.mac.com/gtifrank/.Public/bravo.jpg

onesubdrvr
08-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Not sure what they are asking for the boat, but it is pretty rare to find an 18 with a Bravo drive on it, definately a BIG plus if you want to add more power later.

Take that, add it to the unique white / black color scheme, looks like a pretty nice package.

Notice the intake manifold, looks like the beginnings of that crappy surface corrosion on the Aluminum - just stay on top of it (cleaning it / etc.), and you may want to try getting it coated / painted.

Looks nice
Wayne

Vegas Classic
08-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Nice, that's good to know, I didn't realize that wasn't a common drive on the 18'. They are asking $18.5 for it, it's a '98. I think it's going to be mine soon. :wink:

onesubdrvr
08-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Nice, that's good to know, I didn't realize that wasn't a common drive on the 18'. They are asking $18.5 for it, it's a '98. I think it's going to be mine soon. :wink:
Couple of things I would do

1) if you are VERY interested, put down a deposit
2) Pay a marine surveyor, have it surveyed, LOTS of hurricane boats around, might have migrated from LA or somewhere.
3) Pay for a mechanical inspection, including compression test of the engine / etc.

If all checks out good, I'd say it's a fair price.

Also, the survey might give you some room to negotiate, a good surveyor will catch things only surveyors would catch.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck!!
Wayne

Vegas Classic
08-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the advice Wayne, if I can find a good deal on transport, she's going to be mine.