PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder Issue

Z-Man
08-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Can anyone recommend a solution to this problem? The depth finder on my 28ZX works well when moving at idle speeds or just above. Once on plane it does not. Actually, it reads nothing or 6.5 feet when in motion. I have attempted to check everything but have had no luck fixing the issue.

yeller
08-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Mine works exactly the same way. It's the first one I've ever had, so I thought that was normal. :boggled: I was reading a thread just the other day where guys with tunnel hulls were discussing the same thing. They won't work in the center of the hull because of the air gap when on plane. There was a comment that step hulls have the same problem because of the way the hull aerates the water.

Last Tango
08-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Yep, mine is exactly the same. A stepped hull design puts air under the boat and the Sonar signal of your depth finder doesn't work in that enrivonment. Submarines use the exact same process to "hide" from sonar. They pump air through the hull and the prop, and foil the Sonar returns from others.
Look at the bright side... fishermen will never "see" you.

Mr X
08-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Can anyone recommend a solution to this problem? The depth finder on my 28ZX works well when moving at idle speeds or just above. Once on plane it does not. Actually, it reads nothing or 6.5 feet when in motion. I have attempted to check everything but have had no luck fixing the issue.
Same bot, same thing happens. Mark is right on the money.
It is normal!

Carl C
08-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Mine works exactly the same way. It's the first one I've ever had, so I thought that was normal. :boggled: I was reading a thread just the other day where guys with tunnel hulls were discussing the same thing. They won't work in the center of the hull because of the air gap when on plane. There was a comment that step hulls have the same problem because of the way the hull aerates the water. It shouldn't be normal on yeller's boat. Mine reads well while running even deep water.

yeller
08-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Carl, is yours a factory install? Where's the sending unit mounted? Mine is mounted thru-hull:bonk: so this winter I'll be relocating it and patching the hole :mad:

mrfixxall
08-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Treirs several makes of depth finders,,i think theirs one called ''in motion''style that will give you accurate depth whyle youe cruising..

Carl C
08-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Carl, is yours a factory install? Where's the sending unit mounted? Mine is mounted thru-hull:bonk: so this winter I'll be relocating it and patching the hole :mad: Factory Livorsi that works great at speed. It shoots through the hull and is mounted off center. I could see that a stepped bottom would have aerated water that would block the signal. Yeller, is yours factory? Send a PM if you want.:alligator

yeller
08-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Yeller, is yours factory?
No, aftermarket. The previous owner actually had someone drill a hole through the hull for the sending unit. :bonk: :bonk: :boggled:

Carl C
08-27-2006, 06:15 AM
No, aftermarket. The previous owner actually had someone drill a hole through the hull for the sending unit. :bonk: :bonk: :boggled::eek!: All sounders are not created equally. My Livorsi way out performs the Eagle on my previous boat and it had a transom mounted sender. The signal must be stronger.:yes: