PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone turned their IO into an outboard?

Dredgeking
08-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I keep thinking that I want a 16 outboard. I have a 16 and I think I could glass the transom in and add the bracket for the outboard. Maybe even make it a jack plate to tweak how it runs. I just think a 16 or 18 with a big OB would fly. Just wondered if anyone tried it and what brackets they used.

realbold
08-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Seen a couple old Nova's with twin O/B's on ebay. Good way to ruin a classic IMO.

BTW I have family in Cheboygan and also have a lot on the river.

MOP
08-24-2006, 06:20 PM
The 16 ia a porpoising fool, a bracket would only make it worse. You would be better off going on the transom.

Dredgeking
08-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Seen a couple old Nova's with twin O/B's on ebay. Good way to ruin a classic IMO.
BTW I have family in Cheboygan and also have a lot on the river.

Gotta love Cheboygan. We might be neighbors. My lot is near the 33 bridge on the Cheboygan River. I also have some commercial property ont he river near Lake Huron by the county marina.

The setback would be a problem. The transom would be my 1st choice, but I don't want to cut into the deck to make room to trim the OB.

Dredgeking
08-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I don't think I would ever cut up the 16 I have now. It's in too nice a boat to cut up. I would consider finding a beater boat for the project.

realbold
08-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Dredgeking, my lot is other side south of town on Moonlight Bay. Cant beat the inland waterway, well for 5 months a year anyway.

Glad to hear you're not gonna cut up a Donzi!

BTW do you build docks? The name tells me maybe.

steven s
08-24-2006, 07:36 PM
I have a was thinking .Back when donzi decided to make an ob.I think they took the engine hatch cover off and fiberglassed in the side to make the transome well.Then cut out the transome. And hatches