PDA

View Full Version : Construction Question - Garage Loft

Ranman
08-24-2006, 03:34 PM
I would like to build a loft in my garage to add storage space. My garage ceiling is 16' and so I am looking to do this over the top of my garage door (8').
Please bear with my terminology as I don't know much about construction or framing.
I am wondering if it is kosher to attach 2 "ledger boards" (one on each side of the garage) and then use hangers to run joists that span the width of the garage? The span will be the full inside width of the garage (23' or so). I believe that 14" or 16" engineered joists (like Openjoist 2000) can span that distance without a support beam under the middle.
Is this project as simple as lagging 2 ledger boards to the existing wall studs and then hanging about 8 joists (16" centers) spanning the garage width to make a 23' x 10' loft? Can I do this without having any posts running vertically to the floor? Lastly, I would install a T&G flooring on top of the joists.
Can anybody shed some light on this?

glashole
08-25-2006, 06:12 AM
that will work

you should talk to the guys selling you the engineered floor joists as far as how large they should be to accomodate your span
:)

MOP
08-25-2006, 06:29 AM
Randy I am also not to good with the terminology but I asked the same question years back. I was told if you use no posts you need to look at the structure more like a bridge sitting on top of the walls, the new floors support is derived from the roof beams as much as the walls. if not all tied together properly the the downward force at the center can spread the walls and sag the roof. The assembly needs to be securely bolted together at all points as if it was its own structure. I followed the guys instructions and stored engine parts and all kinds of stuff up there.

Phil