PDA

View Full Version : intake / carb ?

smokediver
08-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I am getting a new longblock for my boat . I am going with a 383 / vortec heads and the Comp Cam 264 with 1.6 rockers . I have a performer intake and a 600 cfm carb both edelbrock . the new engine is coming with an air gap intake . do i need the air gap and do i need to move up to a 750 cfm carb . i could save 200 bucks if i don't beed the intake . thanks in advance ..

mrfixxall
08-24-2006, 03:54 PM
I am getting a new longblock for my boat . I am going with a 383 / vortec heads and the Comp Cam 264 with 1.6 rockers . I have a performer intake and a 600 cfm carb both edelbrock . the new engine is coming with an air gap intake . do i need the air gap and do i need to move up to a 750 cfm carb . i could save 200 bucks if i don't beed the intake . thanks in advance ..

Go with the airgap it keeps the oil of of the intake and keep the fuel & air charge cool...you will need a bigger carb just make sure you get adjustable air bleeds(screw in jets) and you may want to look into compcams extreme marine cams,i had good luck with the few ive installed...

MOP
08-24-2006, 04:09 PM
I went through the same ??? when I put my 383 together, I went with the Performer only due to the fact that it make more torque. Several have used the air gap and really like it, the guys that have them around here say they take much longer to get enough temp to run right at low speed but give a little more top end. I am running a 750 that went to holley to be speced to my engine, frankly I am looking at going to a 650. Randy Big Griz has stated many times that the 650 runs better then the 750 with little to no power loss.

Phil

BigGrizzly
08-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Let me jump in here. If comes with it and it is installed use it if it doesn't use the performer manifold. the Air gap was designed for hot under hood temps of the auto. You don't have this issue. As for performance you won't see any on that application. I have seen this before, it is the latest trick but not always the best. My Corsican ran the Weiland Xcelleratort, the performer , the performer RPM. the only reason the X celeratoe is still on it is I am too lasy to change it back to the performer. No gains whatsoever. My 502 has a performer ans a 825CFM carb. As for carb size, it is an easy way to find out. Put a vaccume guage on the manifold, at WFO it should read no less than 3/4 inches and no more then 1 3/4inches. I f it does it is too big for the application. This saves all the arguments and formula BS. My opinion is a 750 is too large. You will find people saying they put on a 750 and it was better, only because the other carb was bad aqnd they didn't know it. remember carb tuning isn't easy and jet change is the easy part. You know me and how my boats run, and I don't mean just fast I am talking about starting idle and drivability.

smokediver
08-26-2006, 02:03 PM
thanks for the advise , I am going to keep it as is w/ the air gap and put my 600 cfm carb and go from there .