PDA

View Full Version : Screw the oil companies!!!

MOP
08-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Soon we will not need gasoline!!! Look at the URL below then "Google" HHO gas there is a bunch of info, finally we will be able to tell the Arabs to stuff their gas!

http://hytechapps.com/aquygen

RedDog
08-24-2006, 01:00 PM
I hate to sound like a middle-eastern appologists, but Russia is now the largest crude oil producer in the world (now if you combined all of the mid-east countries, they combined would be the largest).
I think it is the Canadians fault - doesn't most of the crude used by the US come from Canada? :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada:

Tony
08-24-2006, 02:38 PM
I think it is the Canadians fault - doesn't most of the crude used by the US come from Canada?

Yes and no...only because 18% probably doens not mean "most". Basically, we get it from as many places as we can!

Recently China has been pushing hard to compete with the U.S. for Canadian oil. Here is the breakdown, taken from this site. (http://www.gravmag.com/oil.html#imports[/url) (2005 stats)

Canada 18%
Mexica 15%
Nigeria 12%
Saudi Arabia 12%
Venezuala 10%
Angola 6%
Iraq 5%
Algeria 3%
Colombia 3%
Equador 3%
Kuwait 2%
U.K. 2%

Tony
08-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Interesting site I referenced above. I kind of get a feel that it is one of the oil company sponsored "researchers"...who knows.

Here is a list of the top oil fields in the world, based on what is recoverable oil. Alaska is #13, and apparently almost depleted! This quote was in a paragraph preceding the chart:

"Some of the fields in this list are essentially completely depleted (e.g., Romashkino and Prudhoe Bay). "In decline" in the table means the field has passed its peak by most reliable sources I found."

Field, Country, Size estimate

1. Ghawar, Saudi Arabia
Saudi fields overall are in decline 75-83 billion barrels
2. Burgan, Kuwait • in decline 66-72 billion barrels
2a. Cantarell, Mexico • in decline
(often listed as a large complex
of multiple smaller fields) 35 billion barrels OOIP
18 billion recoverable
3. Bolivar Coastal, Venezuela 30-32 billion barrels
4. Safaniya-Khafji, Saudi Arabia/Neutral Zone 30 billion barrels
5. Rumailia, Iraq 20 billion barrels
6. Tengiz, Kazakhstan • significant production to come 15-26 billion barrels
7. Ahwaz, Iran • in decline 17 billion barrels
8. Kirkuk, Iraq 16 billion barrels
9. Marun, Iran 16 billion barrels
9a. Daqing, China • in decline 16 billion barrels
10. Gachsaran, Iran 15 billion barrels
11. Aghajari, Iran 14 billion barrels
12. Samotlor, West Siberia, Russia • in decline 14-16 billion barrels
13.Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, USA • in decline 13 billion barrels
13a. Kashagan, Kazakhstan • significant production to come 13 billion barrels
14. Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia 12 billion barrels
15. Romashkino, Volga-Ural, Russia • in decline 12-14 billion barrels
16. Chicontepec, Mexico 12 billion barrels
17. Berri, Saudi Arabia 12 billion barrels
18. Zakum, Abu Dhabi, UAE 12 billion barrels
19. Manifa, Saudi Arabia 11 billion barrels
20. Faroozan-Marjan, Saudi Arabia/Iran 10 billion barrels
21. Marlim, Campos, Brazil • in decline 10-14 billion barrels

Tony
08-24-2006, 02:58 PM
We fare significantly better with our natural gas resources, although it would probably be foolish to plan on these resources to help us with our newly discovered "oil addiction". Of course, using the word plan assumes that we even have an "energy policy".

Sorry for the consecutive long posts, and the poorly veiled political observation. :wink:

12 top natural gas countries
(by reserves, 2005)

Country Reserve estimate
(World 6,300 trillion cubic feet)

1. Russia 1,680 trillion cubic feet (some say 2,300 tcf)
2. Iran 940 trillion cubic feet
3. Qatar 910 trillion cubic feet
4. USA 265 trillion cubic feet
5. Saudi Arabia 235 trillion cubic feet
6. United Arab Emirates 212 trillion cubic feet
7. Nigeria 176 trillion cubic feet
8. Algeria 161 trillion cubic feet
9. Venezuela 151 trillion cubic feet
10. Iraq 110 trillion cubic feet
11. Kazakstan 106 trillion cubic feet
12. Turkmenistan 102 (maybe 535) trillion cubic feet
13. Indonesia 90 trillion cubic feet
14. Malaysia 87 trillion cubic feet
15. Norway 84 trillion cubic feet
16. China 79 trillion cubic feet

gcarter
08-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Tony, good research!
Something we all need to understand is we have huge quantities of mainly Western coal. We are the Russia and Saudi Arabia of coal. It can be made clean burning and it's relatively inexpensive per BTU compared to other carbon based fuels. Our coal should be better utilized in power plant operation.
Also for power generation, atomic power should be a top priority.
Both of these power sources are being largely blocked by various groups.
I guess I'm saying gas shouldn't be used for large scale power generation because the price is so volatile. I don't think the same can be said for coal and atomic power generation.

Tony, I think all your numbers deal only with liquid petroleum. If so, it doesn't include Canadian tar sands, which I think I read is equivalent to three trillion barrels!!!!
Also we're no slouch in the realm of shale oil. Both lof these fuels are more expensive to recover w/current technologies. But just wait till better methods have been developed.

Last Tango
08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
So.
How about we solve THREE PROBLEMS in AMERICA, all in one fell swoop?
We are not out of petroleum based fuels in America. We just choose to deplete everyone else's before we deplete our own.
Fine. And not the point of this paragraph.

Suppose... just suppose, that we used bicycles for our daily commutes to work. If those who commute primarily back and forth to work by car, say a distance of about 10 miles or less (an arbitrary pick) and leave it in the parking lot most of the day, would switch to bicycles, then three things would happen:
1. A dramatic decrease in fossel fuel consumption.
2. A dramatic decrease in air polution in the cities.
3. A dramatic decrease in the waste (waist?) lines of every American who pedals his butt to work.

Now I am not talking about 2-wheeled bikes. I'm talking about 4-wheeled, ultra-lightweight carbon fiber (tube) chassis, two simple carbon fiber seats, automotive style steering wheel that can be passed from one side to the other (like some light aircraft), dual peddling capability, and an extremely lightweight clear canopy windshield that is open at the sides and bottom, sort of like a partial eggshell. Basically enough to keep the rain and the road smoot off of you. A small motorcycle battery powers the lights. Bicycle disc brakes on all four bicycle wheels. Center pull hand brake for stopping. About 15 gears to pick through like most road bikes.
It could also have a battery-powered electric motor for the lazy. Or even a small Natural Gas powered combustion engine for those in need of greater distance or hill-climbing.
Sure, it might be hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and wet in the rain. Most bicycles are. And so are motorcycles. No shortage of those around. Snow in your part of the country? Fine. Drive your Smart to work in the bad weather (available through Roger Penske Distributors late next year).
I didn't say you had to give up your Donzi or that 5000lb Pachyderm Pickup you tow it with. Just save the gas on day-to-day crap.
How would that work in, say, Los Angeles, or anywhere that it is normally warm and largely flat?
Think of how HEALTHY you would be from that exercise you keep saying you don't have time for.

Just an idea. I could be wrong.

I live in Florida. Anyone know how to engineer carbon fiber frames?

Tony
08-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Good points, George.
It's the Canadien tar sands that you mention that China is itchin' to get their hands on. Our northern neighbors will, hopefully, not cave in.

Of course nuclear power scares me a bit, but I agree it will be a huge player in years to come. Some countries in Europe are near 75% with nuclear.

One time several years back a coal company created a subsidary company, a huge mobile plant, to follow around the mining company. The subsidary company would ever so lightly mist the coal with kerosene, thus ever so slightly altering its molecular makeup, thereby earning millions of dollars in tax breaks because our national "energy policy" was attempting to encourage "alternative fuels".

The oil companies have way smarter guys than the bufoons administrating our national energy policy. The oil guys catch every loophole and exploit the hell out of it, for greedy gain at the expense of the American public.

CrackerJack
08-25-2006, 10:31 PM
This is the CEO of jetBlue..............

http://www.glennbeck.com/2006ads/jbluctl.pdf

BUIZILLA
08-26-2006, 06:07 AM
I would be willing to switch careers, and participate in the advancement of that idea... one of my grandfather's was a high rank in Bell & Zoller Coal Co. in Ky, for a LONG time, as in lifelong job, he was adamant that coal was our cheapest longterm future fuel, and he told me that over 40 years ago....

JH