PDA

View Full Version : Want to replace my big Clarion stereo with XM radio. What headunit?

zimm17
08-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Looking replace my big/oversized Clarion marine headunit with something more modern that will do Mp3 CD's, and XM radio.

I'm going to have a big hole, so my options are to find something the same size, install a plate and alpine car headunit with a marine flipdown cover, or find a nice looking glovebox to install, then put a pionner headunit under the dash and use their wired marine remote control which has a display and runs the XM channels too. That would be slick...

Any ideas/pictures?

Schnook
08-24-2006, 07:27 AM
My head unit is in the cabin, so I use an ipod. I don't have to worry about fumbling with cd's (though mp3 will put a lot of music on one disc) and then I added a water resistant wireless remote. I don't think you can control the xm remotely so it may not be what you're looking for.

Audiofn
08-24-2006, 08:07 AM
What do you not like about your Clarion?

Jon

ATLDONZI
08-24-2006, 08:56 AM
the newer clarion cmd-4 is sat ready, has an aux input for ipod etc.... here is a link

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VMTrrhp2YgV/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=020CMD4

mrfixxall
08-24-2006, 10:05 AM
My choice would be panasonic,had a pull out one in the x since 1990,dropped it in the water,spilled beer in it ect ect i beat the crap out of it and it still works to this day,,,,but had to retire it due to the old look of it(wanted new bling)my new one has a neon look to it aux input for ipod xm satalite built in 10 band eq yadda yadda yadda 200.00 bucks and it jamms..

http://etronics.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=dynamic&w=panasonic+car+audio&x=15&y=19

zimm17
08-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I don't like the fact that the user interface sucks on the Clarion. You can't scan channels (going from manual tune to scan is a mystery) and the entire thing is not intuitive. Plus it's not XM ready. The newer clarion actually has a volume, bass, and treble knob which is nice, but it doesn't read mp3, only CD-R which are normal burned CD's. And it's set up for Sirrus, not XM radio which I already have a subscription for two vehicles.

I think I'm going to use some extra tinted lexan from my windshield project, make a plate, install a nice alpine headunit with everything I want, and put on one of those marine stereo covers. That should do the trick.

I think Alpine even has a unit with the XM tuner built in so you need no external box- that's a bonus in the Donzi.

mrfixxall
08-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Zimm,panasonic owns alpine..Same inside just a differant look..(masu****a corp)

ATLDONZI
08-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Zimm,panasonic owns alpine..Same inside just a differant look..(masu****a corp)

i would not agree completely witht that statement..... new lpine product is trash i stopped carrying it at my car audio shop due to the reason that it is garbage now, all except the ivad series... Panasonic on the other hand i love carried it for over 4 years and only had 3 warranty issues with customers. panasonic is awsome, great product great sound quality and great technology. if anyone needs panasonic equip let me know!

BUIZILLA
08-24-2006, 06:24 PM
AD, how's 'bout a suggestion for a basic stereo for my kid's Mako 17...

head unit w/ 4x50w sizing, bulltproof, waterproof

thanx

mrfixxall
08-24-2006, 06:54 PM
i would not agree completely witht that statement..... new lpine product is trash i stopped carrying it at my car audio shop due to the reason that it is garbage now, all except the ivad series... Panasonic on the other hand i love carried it for over 4 years and only had 3 warranty issues with customers. panasonic is awsome, great product great sound quality and great technology. if anyone needs panasonic equip let me know!

I agree alpine do brake more often but masu****a corp does own both alpine and panasonic along with 380 other electronic co..go to google,type in masu****a alpine automotive electronics and it will give you the info....

ATLDONZI
08-24-2006, 10:15 PM
I agree alpine do brake more often but masu****a corp does own both alpine and panasonic along with 380 other electronic co..go to google,type in masu****a alpine automotive electronics and it will give you the info....

that is why i said i dont agree 100 percent... yes same parent company but it is a different plant and different companies... that would be like saying proline and donzi are the same since they are owned by american marine holdings....which we all know that is not the case....

ATLDONZI
08-24-2006, 10:20 PM
AD, how's 'bout a suggestion for a basic stereo for my kid's Mako 17...
head unit w/ 4x50w sizing, bulltproof, waterproof
thanx

bulletproof and marine are like saying you want a good cheap boat...lol

but for a good waterproof stereo (mako 17's are wet boats) would be the clarion cmd-4...its more expensive but its cheaper than buying three radios over the span of 4 years..... and for speakers i really like my mb quart's but they were pretty pricey...for the money clarion makes a killer pair of speakers... if you want some quotes pm me... i will help out some fellow donzi owners with some great pricing...

zimm17
10-04-2006, 06:04 AM
I found this: http://www.access-tech.net/productsRadioCovers.htm

I think it'll work just great with a $200 alpine that already has built in XM and plays Mp3 CD's. Anyone seen it real life? I wonder if it's a quality piece.

sellsman11
10-04-2006, 11:42 AM
This would be my first choice for a "head" unit. Hope it helps!!:wink: :yes:

Pismo
10-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Get Sirius instead.