PDA

View Full Version : duo-prop installation scenarios?

Tony
08-23-2006, 11:37 PM
On a duo-prop setup, does it matter how you align the second prop when installing it?

On BH drives they say to put the first prop on with a blade straight up, then the second one with a blade straight down. In my mind the blades are "one behind the other" 6 times in one revolution, and the above method means that it happens at the 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 o'clock positions.

Putting the second prop on haphazardly only changes where these 6 alignments happen on the clock face, right?

:beer:

MOP
08-24-2006, 07:22 AM
BIII's will buzz also, it has something to do with the case flow and where the props pass each other. The BIII wheels on my BH can be smooth as glass or very annoying.

Phil

Tony
08-24-2006, 08:41 AM
I've sat down and spun mine, staring at it for a long time...thinking. :lookaroun

The props pass each other 6 times/revolution, no matter what. The only difference is where they pass each other in relation to the rest of the drive, i.e. the skeg, nose, etc. That would likely have some effect.

BUIZILLA
08-24-2006, 08:58 AM
I can tell you from past experience with my BIII, if you are as much as one tooth off either way, you can feel the difference. I got mine right on the money, smoooooth as silk.... and i'm sold on a BIII setup now.

JH

Tony
08-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Matty, you're assuming that they know that it makes a difference!
After all, 22's are continually being sold with the wrong prop on them, right?

With my Volvo manual it does not mention alignment in their "prop installation" section. To me, while I love their product, this seems like a big oversight, especially if it makes a significant difference.

MOP sent me a link to a BH manual, and it recommended putting the first prop on with a blade pointed straight UP, and the second prop with a blade pointed straight DOWN. So, that's what I'm doing until someone comes up with something more brilliant!

mrfixxall
08-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Matty, you're assuming that they know that it makes a difference!
After all, 22's are continually being sold with the wrong prop on them, right?
With my Volvo manual it does not mention alignment in their "prop installation" section. To me, while I love their product, this seems like a big oversight, especially if it makes a significant difference.
MOP sent me a link to a BH manual, and it recommended putting the first prop on with a blade pointed straight UP, and the second prop with a blade pointed straight DOWN. So, that's what I'm doing until someone comes up with something more brilliant!

Mops link is correct,you just want to make sure the blades dont pass each other at the skeg..