PDA

View Full Version : Tip for cleaning soot from transom.

Carl C
08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
I now apply a quick coat of wax to the back of the boat and exh tips after every washing. The soot wipes right off with soapy water. The tips still take a little scrubbing but at least I don't have to use acid :eek!: on the boat anymore. :alligator

Tony
08-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Carl, have you got those black rubber flappers hose-clamped to the back of your ss tips? A really smart guy told me that when he swapped that setup out for some angled tips with an internal flapper...he then had zero soot problems.

:beer:

CHACHI
08-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Carl, have you got those black rubber flappers hose-clamped to the back of your ss tips? A really smart guy told me that when he swapped that setup out for some angled tips with an internal flapper...he then had zero soot problems.

:beer:I have angled tips with internal flappers and I still have soot. Looks real nice on a yellow hull. I spray the transom with Spectro XL-1 motorcycle wash, pass the brush over and the soot melts off, doesn't remove the wax either (also works on aluminum wheels in removing brake dust). I belive the soot is directly related to the fuel map in the ECU and regardless of the tips, you will have soot on the transom unless you have the ECU re-calibrated. ken

MOP
08-24-2006, 07:25 AM
The soot is not near as bad as the mineral deposits which can be a bear, salt hoses off but the mineral deposits can take a fair bit of work to get off the tips.

Ranman
08-24-2006, 08:34 AM
The soot is not near as bad as the mineral deposits which can be a bear, salt hoses off but the mineral deposits can take a fair bit of work to get off the tips.

Use CLR to get the deposits off the tips. A little CLR on a rag and the calcium and other stuff wipes right off.

ATLDONZI
08-24-2006, 08:39 AM
the one and only thing that will work........ rejex hands down... we use it on our 45 foot hatteras to keep deisel smoke off the transom, and it does the trick on the transon and waterline on my classic 16. easy to apply also

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Carl C
08-24-2006, 11:12 AM

:beer:I have angled tips w/internal flappers and still just as much soot as before!:mad:

gold-n-rod
08-24-2006, 01:06 PM
I have angled tips w/internal flappers and still just as much soot as before!:mad:

I think I know the "wise guy" to which Tony is referring. When I went to the slash cuts, my sooting went to almost zero.

Maybe you are running rich, Carl. When I had the carb rebuilt on my "big" boat, the sooting stopped almost completely and it used to build up soot like crazy!!!!

Carl C
08-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Maybe you are running rich I have EFI and have verified that the soot is normal. I don't know why, but it is!:alligator

Tony
08-24-2006, 02:22 PM
I bet that some soot is airborne, and some might be high water temps hitting the black flappers. Look at any flapper setup and you will see evidence of some major temperature in the form of melted or coagulated rubber!

I'm thinking of affixing a thin ss liner on the inside of my flaps, and see what the result is.

:beer:

mrfixxall
08-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Black soot can be caused by using premimum fuels...

ChromeGorilla
08-24-2006, 07:13 PM
got transom soot?!?!?!

MR. CLEAN MAGIC ERASERS............ done deal! :yes:

ATLDONZI
08-24-2006, 10:21 PM
try rejex....

catch 22
08-25-2006, 05:50 AM
I use Simple Green Marine.

ITTLFLI
08-25-2006, 08:05 AM
I use SWIPES for the quick easy clean while on the water:) No bottle AND rags to manage. Just one easy to store container plus they will clean your seats...ect.

ITTLFLI
08-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Oh yeah....and they even say MERCURY on them so it makes the boat run faster:wink:

Sorry Tony!:)