PDA

View Full Version : Bungs in header risers

Ryan23
08-23-2006, 12:54 PM
I've got a pair of large allen head bungs in each of these Edelbrock exhaust risers (as seen below). What are they for?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/new14.jpg

Thanks,

Ryan

mrfixxall
08-23-2006, 01:23 PM
I've got a pair of large allen head bungs in each of these Edelbrock exhaust risers (as seen below). What are they for?
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scoobywrx/donzi/new14.jpg
Thanks,
Ryan

Those bungs keep the water from flowing back into the exhaust valves.(basicly their their so the water dont f$%&* your motor up)

Ryan23
08-23-2006, 02:51 PM
So it is it dry behind those plugs? I'm wondering whether I can use one of those for an 02 sensor or whether I need to pick up a different set of manifolds. I'm a little lost as to how there are constructed vs. a standard auto header.

Thanks,

Ryan

mrfixxall
08-23-2006, 03:03 PM
opps my mistake,i thought you ment the riser,,if you can get the bung out?most of the time their coroaded in and wont budge...any ways their their because some boats engineg need to dump their water out their and are probably wet.....If you can get one out fire the boat up and see if water comes out their,but i m pretty sure their wet tho...me personally i would replace them with center riser style before you gel the transm..the new exhaust holes may line up with the old ones.....

gcarter
08-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Thay are core plugs for holding the core sand in place during the casting process. On your engine block they are called freeze plugs but are mis-named. They are also core plugs.
The ones on your risers are threaded and plugged instead of having the drive in brass sheet metal plugs like your block and heads.

gcarter
08-23-2006, 06:48 PM
So it is it dry behind those plugs? I'm wondering whether I can use one of those for an 02 sensor or whether I need to pick up a different set of manifolds. I'm a little lost as to how there are constructed vs. a standard auto header.
Thanks,
Ryan
Nope, not dry. This is the area where the cooling water dumps into the exhaust.