PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering for non Power steering boats

BigGrizzly
08-23-2006, 09:48 AM
I recently got PO ed at my Corsican because it did not have power steering and was sooo hard to hold the wheel at W O throttle and took so much effort when not cruiseing with the trim just right. I looked for options. I origionally had a twin teleflrx cable from H&M (not rack type) then I went to the rack system, good but not good enough. I than put on A Sea Star hydraulic and inside ram (manual type)which is really good but it still took more of effort than I like to steer especially at slow speeds. I than Found Teleflex has avalible a Power Assist unit. We have put them on Pontoon boats with good success. I desided to give this a try. Well it turned out great. At WFOIt steers with one finger and is as agile as a cat.This is saying something for the old Volvo outdrive. This boat is more fun than ever to drive. Instalation is simple, just install it between the helm and hydraulic cylinder bleed it hook it to the battery and your done no belts or engine brackets and no horse power loss. The instalation instructions are great and simple. I took me 3 hours to do the whole job. This includes removing the old rack system. The hardest part is bleeding the system it takes two people. I recomend this everyone who doesn't have power steering and wants to upgrade.

Greg K
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Here is a link to the Power Assist Unit (http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/SPA/spa.htm) Randy mentions.

BigGrizzly
08-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks Greg I ment to post a picture but ran out of time. BTW this unit will work with outside rams too!

BigGrizzly
08-24-2006, 09:44 AM
I used the standard tiller arm. I just removed the cable and installed the hydraulic ram in its place. I think the ram numbrt was a 5730, i know it ended in 30. It was almost too easy to do. However this time I followed the instructions to the letter. I love it. One thing, I have a switch along with the ignition switch to turn the PA unit on and off as they suggest, and with it turned off it is just like normal manual hydraulic steering. So if there is a problem you just drive it anyway.

MOP
08-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Randy how much is the unit?

kjly63
08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: any pics. An upgrade to a volvo.......I'm there.

Ken

kjly63
08-24-2006, 02:53 PM
:wink: Oh yea....I have a pontoon boat with the Power assist and it does steer nice.......but never thought about it on the Volvo.

Ken

Greg K
08-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Randy how much is the unit?
About $1600 for the power unit alone.

BigGrizzly
08-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Bolts is here and we did an extended ride today. This is almost too eaasy, Scott is impressed so is Tomahawk. I don't know what it cost I wanted it for my boat so I didn't look. Remember I am in the Marine buisness. What I can tell you id if it were 1600 it would be worth it. No belts no brackets no pullies and its not in the way of anything. All the stering wheel play is gone tiller arm doesn't move at all.
Hey Donzi guys we will be at my dock tomorrow playing drop by Sweet 16 may drop by too.