PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Vent - Kaboom?

BaldEagle
08-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Just a heads up. While at the Up North MADCOW get together at Torch Lake, we pulled in to the Donzi Section, as Gold-N-Rod put it, of the 200 boat sand bar party and Tony graciously provided valet docking for us rafting off of his volvo powered red machine. We had fenders out and all was well. Except we didnt realize that the fender was contacting on his gas tank vent. The new Donzi vents are flush nounted while the older style have exterior vent cowlings that cover the vent hose and a sort of snap ring arrangement that keeps the vent hose from pullng back through the hull. The retainer broke off from the fender contacting it, allowing the vent hose to fall back through the hull so it was lying inside the boat. By coincidnce Tony had a water leak in a heat exhanger. Following him home we noticed a lot of water coming out of his drain. I thought maybe the gas tank was leaking. Investigating the source of the water leak the next moring Tony discovered the gas vent hose lying inside the bow, fortunately before we fueled up which would have filled his bow area with raw gas fumes. We came up with a rather un-romantic quick fix, see Was Anyone up at Torch lake thread. http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?session_id=&cart_id=000000000&category_id=238202&view_id=238202&search_type=category
This link, hope I did it correctly, show both types of vents. The first vent is the current Donzi style that is a flush mount. Mine has a 3 x 3" backing plate, maybe out of marine board, on the inside of the hull. The 90 degree vent fitting goes through the hull and backing plate, and a rubber hose is DOUBLE clamped to it. see photos. One of the older styles is the one for $10.78. fifth one down. Att are some photos of how the new ones look.
FYI if you raft or even if a dock hits your vent it could release the retainer clip and your vent hose could end up inside your boat. Thats the Kaboom part.

Tony
08-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Impressive...a URL link AND pictures in the same post! :yes:

Jeff is right on with his descriptions, the retainer style fitting can (and was!) rubbed right off. We had some decent incoming waves and, although we kept a close eye on our rub rails, which were fine, I had unknowingly (dimwittedly?) placed a fender right over the fuel vent fitting.

Below is what I have on now; it is what West Marine had, it's chrome plated brass, it was cheap, and I'm back on the water. It does a much better job of sandwiching the hull with two strong parts, unlike the hooded retainer style Jeff described above.

I do like the flush style better, and may switch to it some day. Attwood makes one (see below), but it requires a larger hole than what exists on my boat...and I didn't feel like fussing with it during the boating season!

gold-n-rod
08-22-2006, 02:00 PM
I still like the Rube Goldberg version best!!!!!!!!!!!

Found here: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46163 in post #13. :bonk:

Sofa King
08-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Excellent thread!

Carl C
08-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Looking at mine, I don't see how it could come apart but I'll keep an eye on it.

BaldEagle
08-22-2006, 04:18 PM
The Goldberg vents are harder to come by. Make sure the blttle caps you use are rated for petroleum use. API approved duct tape too for extra safety.

BaldEagle
08-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Tony it doesn look like your vent tube is going up first before dropping down to the tank. And where are the double clamps specified?

Tony
08-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Jeff, my hose drops first, then loops up and around, secured with a cable tie. So I guess it kind of acts like a plumbing p-trap idea. The vent fitting I used had one raised rib, which I carefully centered my hose clamp on. I'm not imagining any trouble with either setup...

:beer:

MOP
08-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Tony it is very important that the loop is right at the vent, if the loop is low what can happen is water can be splashed in and sit there. As you use fuel the tank needs to breath through the ventif there is any water what soever trapped in the tube it will more then likely be sucked into the tank. It should be secured to one of the rub rail screws to avoid that problem.

Phil

Tony
08-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Got it, Phil...I will change the routing of my vent hose tomorrow.
THANKS!

MOP
08-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Got it, Phil...I will change the routing of my vent hose tomorrow.
THANKS!

Ok is this an Echo?