PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Leak??

penbroke
08-21-2006, 07:55 PM
The Alpha 1 on the SeaRay leaks somewhere around the top of the transom assembly. The photos show a couple of 1" pipe plugs that were installed in the sides of the housing. It seems that the proceedure for servicing the upper pivot/tiller arm requires drilling two large holes for access and the tapping and installing these plugs. My problem is there is a leak somewhere in that area. When the boat is empty it does not leak. You can see the darker scum line just below the plugs. When I have people aboard in the back of the boat it takes on about a gallon or so per hour. With a flashlight I can see that the top of the tiller arm is wet. The u-joint bellows, exhaust bellows, trim sensor wiring and water inlet are all under water all the time so it is not one of them. There are no cracks on the housing that I can see and it is seated evenly to the transom. The plugs look fine as well but I don't see any other possible source for the leak. The plugs are steel and should have been plastic as far as I can tell.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for any input,
Frank

gcarter
08-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Frank, pipe threads will leak every time w/o some sort of sealer, dope, or teflon tape on those plugs.
Also, that's the easiest repair you could make.

MOP
08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Frank I don't think the leak is where you think it is, I have a hunch it is the tiller arm pivot seal. The plugs are in there because someone tried to fix it without removing the engine, 75% of the time they can be mended that way BUT if the seal land has corroded no way! Sometimes very thick grease will hold it until it can be done properly, winter is a coming! There is always one more Frank!

Phil

penbroke
08-22-2006, 09:02 AM
I am hoping George is right but I'm afraid Phil may be...

Wouldn't that seal be below the tiller arm? The top of the tiller arm gets wet.

Frank :wrench:

penbroke
08-23-2006, 08:19 PM
with better access and a better light it seems Phil is right. (I was rooting for ya George but it was not to be.:( ) I will run it as is and change the seal in the off season.

Thanks guys,
Frank:wrench:

MOP
08-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Frank it can be done but to many times it just don't last, go to a local heavy equipment supply and get some real heavy grease. Put some in when you use it, pump it very slow as it can jack what is left of the seal out.

Phil

penbroke
08-23-2006, 08:51 PM
How do I get grease to the seal area? The grease from the zerk at the top of the housing just comes out around the pin on top of the tiller arm on the inside. Does the pin have passages drilled in it to allow the grease to get to the end where the seal is?

Frank :confused:

MOP
08-23-2006, 09:57 PM
You don't! The old style greased the bushing and seal, the one you have I think someone drilled to try to lube stuff. Merc in their infinite wisdom eliminated that fitting in the late 80's and have gone onto getting rid of the rest, since 04 all that is left is the gimble bearing grease fitting.

When you get it apart you can drill the hole for the fitting in the right place so it does what it is suppose to.