PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic line Alpha drive

DTM
08-21-2006, 07:15 AM
Gang,

This week end I “popped” a stainless steel hydraulic line for raising and lowering the Alpha outdrive on my ’87 Z21. The male portion came out of the factory crimped hose end. My questions are:

1. What type of internal tubing is used with these lines (teflon or rubber)?
2. How do I refill the pump once I replace the line?

Any other inputs would be appreciated…

Thanks,

DTM

mrfixxall
08-21-2006, 10:09 AM
the lines are rebber on the inside and some sort of plastic on the outside..

to remove the line lok outside ware the 4 ss lines from the trim rams go,theirs a block under the gimgal housing that they go to...that block should be bolted to the transm,remove the bolts and slise the block down and you should see the hoses..look at what color gose popped (grey or black) remove that line and tape a piece of wire to it and pull it out through the engine compartment make sure you tape a piece of wire to the old hose ,it will make it easier to fish the new hose through the little hole...reverse instructions to install...after line is on figure out what they used for the fluid in your trim pump..Some use 30w and others ust atf...just fill the resivour and run the pump up(trailer button) and down to ger the air out..you will have to do this several times (15-20 times)but give the trim pump motor a brake every cycle so you dont over heat the electric motor and burn it out....

good luck

FlyGuy21
08-21-2006, 03:15 PM
MRFIXXALL,
I have a problem with a Challenger21 with an Alpha. I just dropped the engine back in and have a slight leak coming in through the bottom of the transom plate. I put in a exhaust cut off plate and sealed it really well. And still have the leak... could water be leaking in where the trim lines run into the block at the bottom of the gimbal ?.
Any help would be great !.
Thanks,
Peter

mrfixxall
08-21-2006, 03:59 PM
MRFIXXALL,
I have a problem with a Challenger21 with an Alpha. I just dropped the engine back in and have a slight leak coming in through the bottom of the transom plate. I put in a exhaust cut off plate and sealed it really well. And still have the leak... could water be leaking in where the trim lines run into the block at the bottom of the gimbal ?.
Any help would be great !.
Thanks,
Peter
did you take that apart? i rarely see those leak unless someone messed with it.
Check to see if you have a hole or a tear in the drive bellow or the water could be coming in through the shift cable bellow (should be clamped at both ends) or even ware the wires go through the inside part of the gimbal for your trim limiter switch and trim indicater ...

DonziDave
08-21-2006, 08:11 PM
According to my Mercruiser repair manual.....When you refill the trim pump, bottom out the fill screw then back it off 1 full turn. The fill screw acts as a vent for the pump.

Dave

mrfixxall
08-21-2006, 08:48 PM
According to my Mercruiser repair manual.....When you refill the trim pump, bottom out the fill screw then back it off 1 full turn. The fill screw acts as a vent for the pump.
Dave

That would be the older style pump:)The newer pumps have a plastic resivour..

FlyGuy21
08-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks !,
The trim lines were never taken off so I will head to the bellows... should have gone there first !!. :bonk: