PDA

View Full Version : raising the drive?

smokediver
08-21-2006, 05:34 AM
I was wondering if anyone has raised their engine / outdrive on a 16 . I am going to be laid up for a while and was wondering if the results are worth the effort and what kind of increase in handling / performance I could expect . I am sure that the hatch will have to be modified . I am wondering how much I could go up before throwing the cg out of whack . I know going from a 6 cyl. to an 8 cyl. there is a big handling difference as the engine is about 4 more inches forward . I believe that my 6 and 8 were about the same weight after replacing cast iron with aluminium but again , there was a big difference in handling .... not worse ... just a different feel .... thanks in advance ...

need for speed
08-21-2006, 07:32 AM
got a few seats for you in Sota!!.. if u don't get that thing done !!:wink:

smokediver
08-21-2006, 08:49 AM
thanks Charles , I might not be able to make it . I have a lot going on ... new house / wife / baby on the way .... yep .... all true !:eek!:

need for speed
08-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Ooo my .that is a LOT going on!!.....….congratulations…:bonk:

Is the new wife…Alyssa… ???

smokediver
08-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Yep !!!!!

need for speed
08-21-2006, 09:12 PM
cool! If the weather is ok.. we are going out this Sunday... come along if u have time and nothing to do.

raising the drive does sound cool.. hmm will it work..:confused:

Jimmy Norman
08-22-2006, 05:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone has raised their engine / outdrive on a 16 . I am going to be laid up for a while and was wondering if the results are worth the effort and what kind of increase in handling / performance I could expect . I am sure that the hatch will have to be modified . I am wondering how much I could go up before throwing the cg out of whack . I know going from a 6 cyl. to an 8 cyl. there is a big handling difference as the engine is about 4 more inches forward . I believe that my 6 and 8 were about the same weight after replacing cast iron with aluminium but again , there was a big difference in handling .... not worse ... just a different feel .... thanks in advance ...

Interesting approach. I've been considering a Blackhawk drive on my 16, but I think I've decided against it, but want a higher prop than I have now. Do you know what the options are for shorter outdrives to minimize the amout you'd have to raise the engine? Have you considered duoprops? What about Arneson? I don't even know how you get engine water with those things, but they really look cool & fast. If they were only ligher, cheaper & counter-rotating that's what I'd have.:yes: Best of luck. I hope someone out there can help us both. I do like your idea. I'ts probably the most practical solution.

Jimmy

MOP
08-22-2006, 06:50 PM
There are pros & cons to raising the X, I had a 16 for 3 years I would opt for the shorter drive. The 16 can be squirrely enough at the stock X raising the engine/CG could make it worse. Rootsy got his 16 to run very well with the SS, and I bet even faster with a BH.