PDA

View Full Version : Attention to detail

onesubdrvr
08-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, I've got to admit, Cuda's poll got me going on this one but now I'm curious.

I've done things before that I've received many compliments on, but I've know where the little blemishes are, it's all attention to detail.

So what do you look for in a "pristine" boat

Screws orientated,

What do you look for in the engine compartment?

The drive area?

Tabs?

What are areas that you admit you are anal on, but don't notice on other peoples boats?

I'm asking because when I do the X, I want to turn heads,....it won't happen initially, but I will get it right.

Thanks
Wayne

Cuda
08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey, leave my "pole" outa this! :)

onesubdrvr
08-20-2006, 12:05 PM
See, that's what happens when you use one of those speak to type things :bonk: :wink:

Wayne

typo corrected!!

Cuda
08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
You can ask Debbie Davis about what I've always been the most anal about on my fishboat, and I guarantee she will tell you the SS rails. :)

I can't stand where you can see that salt water was hanging on the bottom side.

rustnrot
08-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Having the screws oriented IS a pet peeve of mine. When somebody asks for them to be oriented, I always ask, "Which ones do you want too loose and which ones do you want too tight"??????

undertaker
08-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Here I go....

Alligned Screws - they are important IMO:) but I do not always look at them on other boats.

Engine Room - I like too see NO dirt at all everything real nice and clean with a little bling also, TRY to keep mine that way...sorry I am anal:yes:

Trim tabs - not a big deal to me I have polished mine a few times but as long as they are fairly clean its ok..

Drive - should be nice and shiny, also the skeg should have paint ON it...:)

Another big thing to me is the cockpit carpet I am always vacuming it I like to look of a clean carpet:) (do the same thing at my house my wife is always making fun of me) also I TRY to keep my boat waxed as much as possible not saying I hand wax it all the time but I use quick detailing sprays to keep that SMOOTH SLICK feel ALMOST everytime I run the boat (same goes for my trailer...it was expensive:yes: :yes: )

Now before anyone thinks my boat and past boats have been perfect think again...you can be anal as hell but you always seem to get a ding here or there...

I'm done...Undertaker:pimp: :cool: :boggled:

catch 22
08-20-2006, 03:26 PM
What Undertaker said. I AGREE. Now lets talk trailers.:yes:

gcarter
08-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Why would we want to talk about YOUR trailer?
They're for carrying your boat....not combing your hair in the reflection!!!:wink:

onesubdrvr
08-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Lets talk about trailers that float :D :D :D
Maybe THAT'S what the extra 400lbs in the rear of the Motley Crew boat was??!:eek!:

undertaker
08-20-2006, 07:25 PM

Well since you brought up trailers.... they need to be as shiny as the boat that is sitting on it:yes: they MUST NOT FLOAT:) :) :) :boggled: (buy a steel trailer):wink: and they must be a MYCO:wink: :wink: other then that who cares about trailers:bonk: :propeller :) :wink:

Undertaker

PS They also must be attached to the boat with stern and bow straps.....:boggled: :yes: :) :wink:

Cuda
08-20-2006, 11:08 PM
You should see Catch's trailer. It's aluminum, but he has compounded and buffed it to where you'd swear it's polished stainless steel.:) :cool:

undertaker
08-21-2006, 12:32 PM
There's more than one way to skin a cat....

Dwights trailer doesn't count..he is high maintenance himself:wink: :wink: :) :)

Anoymous:pimp:

gcarter
08-21-2006, 12:35 PM
If you guys want to see some attention to detail, I'll show you some later today!:eek!:
Just be prepared!:wink:

gcarter
08-21-2006, 02:35 PM
OK, you guys think that aligning you rubrail screws shows how anal retentive you are about the bling on your boats.....

Here's my kind of attention to detail....:eek!:

Picture one shows the stringer drains just in front of the transom I included in the restoration of my stringers. Notice the drain is created by drilling through the base of the stringers on both port and stbd sides. It consists of a piece of 1" sch. 40 PVC pipe shaped to align perfectly with the stringer bases and the large radii I created to strengthen the stringers. The pipes are sealed and epoxied into place.

Picture numero dos is of the trim pump and bracket mounted on the transom at the deck joint. Notice also the through bolted deck joint. These are the only screws I could align as they are only ones that have nuts.

Wanna see some more?

BUIZILLA
08-21-2006, 02:38 PM
let's all run out now and line up our lug nut hex's on the trailer and wax the trailer ball...
:smash:

joseph m. hahnl
08-21-2006, 03:47 PM
AH Yah! trailers hmm let's see tires, brakes, bearings, saftey chains, bunk carpet, rollers and light bulbs. yah I think that covers it. Oh and I actually use my trailer too! sitting home polishing the aluminum, well to be honest is just "Gay" I mean Happy:wink: NOT. That is the luxery of being a slob you don't waste time and take time out of boating until something breaks:yes: .

joe

gcarter
08-21-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm thinking Gina polished it...
Anonymous :)
I called Jim last Saturday.....he was mowing the grass and NOT polishing his trailer!:eek!:
I was pleasantly surprised!!!

need for speed
08-21-2006, 09:21 PM
might take a few days to polish the myco.. that would be cool .. i better get started..
,,maybe i could get it to shine like those milk tanker trucks you see..

Ed Donnelly
08-21-2006, 09:42 PM
George; Are you sure Jim was mowing his grass?? Perhaps he was really shaping it with a pair of sissors.......Ed

LKSD
08-23-2006, 08:39 AM
I carry a bucket, boat soap, mit, towel & squeege in the back of my truck when using the boat...
I like the boat clean when its goin in. & when I take it out I like it clean too if at all possible along with the trailer..

Then I usually wash it again & spray wax in between regular waxing before covering it with its covers & putting it back in the garage at my shop for when I am not using it...... My wife says I am a bit too obsessive with it.. Oh well... Hey didnt someone once say "cleanliness next to godliness" ??? :) :) :wink: Jamie

blackhawk
08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
details
1. keys
2.gas
3. sunblock
4. water
5. fun

DING DING DING...WE HAVE A WINNER! :D

Pismo
08-23-2006, 07:35 PM
He forgot beers..........