PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbirds over Champlain.

penbroke
08-20-2006, 10:20 AM
The USAF Thunderbirds were at the Wings Over Vermont Air Show yesterday celebrating the 60th aniversary of the Vermont Air National Guard. The show took place over Burlington Harbor and lasted about 5 hours. The show included The Golden Knights parachute team as well as the F-16, A-10, F-15, P-51, P-47, P-40, FA-18, F-4U and the Thunderbirds. There were a couple of private stunt fliers as well.
We had the best seats in the house with the SeaRay swinging at anchor inside the inner harbor. Rain cut the show short by a few minutes but it was a spectacular "in your face" show.
The first shot is from Friday's practice and the rest are from the show.
Frank

Barry Eller
08-20-2006, 12:00 PM
AirShows are Great! I live approx. 4 miles across Pensacola Bay from Pensacola Naval Air Station, Home of the Blue Angels. I watch them practice 2 times a week and part of the flight path for some maneuvers brings them over my house.
Eglin AFB is in Ft Walton,about 30 miles east of me. The Thunderbirds do a show there each year. They are great. However, the F-16's they fly have a single engine, so powerful, that they only use approx 40% power in their shows. Power to weight ration is un-real! The F/A 18 Hornets the Blue Angels fly have 2 engines, the aircraft is heavy, they have to use the afterburners often for the maneuvers.
The Thunderbirds are too quiet, like going to the Daytona 500 and the race cars have mufflers!! I'm not meaning to be disrespectful to the Thunderbirds at all, I'm just a Blue Angel fan!!
I like the sound of my 502 in my 22 Classic, a Bayliner is too quiet for me.

Yes, my Doctor tells me I have some hearing loss, too!!

onesubdrvr
08-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Yes, my Doctor tells me I have some hearing loss, too!!
Huh?? What?? :wink:

Wayne

Barry Eller
08-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Onesubdriver, I like what you say,"Which way do we go".

One of my favorite smart ass remarks to lets say, less intelligent statements people is from the old cartoons where the caricature says..."which way did he go George, which way did he go?"

It's 95+ out side, I'm not riding my Donzi today even with a Bimini Top!!

Marlin275
08-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Hey Frank,

I might be in lower Lake Champlain/Ft Ticonderoga area Vermont side
on Labor Day weekend.

Is upper Lake George a better area or should I try to do both?

What are the best ramps and restaurant on the water places in the Champlain/Ft Ticonderoga area?

Chad

penbroke
08-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Chad:
I'm afraid you're going to have to go a bit farther north to find any restaurants on the water as far as I know. I think there is one in Port Henry and there are a couple in Westport and a couple in Essex. These are all on the New York side. The ramps are better on the New York side as well. Vermont just doesn't cater that much to pleasure boaters and most of out ramps are mud holes for fishermen with light boats and 4x4s. The facilities are a bit better around the Shelburne/Burlington/Malletts Bay area.

Ticonderoga to Westport (~22NM) or even Essex (~32NM) would be a nice ride. Both Chipman Point Marina and Bouy 39 Marina have ramps but I have not used either one myself.

Matty or one of the LG guys can give ya better info on Lake George than I can. I have run around a bit on the south end but not up north.

Are you bringing the X-18? You do know the Lake George Club's Fall Picnic is the next weekend right? Let me know your schedule and maybe we can hook up...

I hope this helps and feel free to ask if you need anything else.

Frank:alligator

Marlin275
08-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Frank,
Thanks for all the info.
I was doing web searches and everything was coming up NY side
so now I know why.

Yea I know the LG Donzi event is the next week but I'm
trying to mix pleasure with a business trip.
I seem to break the boat each year and never make the LG date.
I read some posts that said upper lake George is the best part of the lake?
Got a new motor so now she dances and sings!
If it looks like it is going to happen I'll let you know.