PDA

View Full Version : Poll, please vote

Cuda
08-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Catch 22 and I have been having this ongoing discussion about who would, and who wouldn't have their screws in the rubrail all oriented the same. :)

onesubdrvr
08-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Joe,

First, knowing you and Jim, I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that "discussion" :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Anyway, I voted yes,...but there is exceptions.

The Ragazza, no, they wouldn't have been (even if they were visible), But, that was the Ragazza. Even though I really liked the Ragazza, and did have alot of sweat equity in it, it was my first go at a project like that, and I found that I cut some corners in the appearance department. However, on the X, I REALLY want to do it right. Even though I don't have alot of $$ for other bling and stuff, the stuff I do myself, I will be damn sure to do my best to do it right. I LOVE the 18, and anything I'm involved in with it will be done right, to the best of my ability, and to limit of my attention to detail (better than some, not near as good as others). I dig compliments (as we all do), and will be hoping to receive some on the X when it's done. On the other hand, I won't be anal if someone spills a drink on the carpet, or leaves a butt print on the deck or something - it's a boat, boats are meant to be used. Just, PLEASE don't be careless and drop a lit smoke on the carpet.

now GOOD NIGHT!! maybe you'll dream of a discussion about which people snap all the snaps on there covers, and those who leave the hard-ones undone :wink:

Wayne

zimm17
08-20-2006, 02:54 AM
I have a hard enough time just keeping the screws in place- every time I'm out for a rough ride, 1/4 of them are sticking out.

catch 22
08-20-2006, 02:57 AM
I know it's not wednesday night, But there must not be alot going on in Deland tonight.:wink: ...........................And :yes: they are.

gcarter
08-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Since I through bolted mine into Tee nuts, when they're tight, they're tight and that's where they are.
Besides, when you have a RED rub rail, no one notices the screws.

Carl C
08-20-2006, 07:24 AM
It's not just about the rub-rail screws; all of the screw heads except the cockpit cover snaps are lined up on my boat. I voted yes. It's a nice detail.

MOP
08-20-2006, 07:56 AM
The visual effect is without question great, it is best done with Phillips screws. With comon heads screws some will be over tightened and some not quite enough. I like all screws affixing things to be of even tention, the ramp on a self tapping screw is steeper then a threaded bolt or screw, ot takes several less turns to sink a screw compared to a machine thread screw. 1/4 turn one way our the other can make quite a difference in its holding power, in non stress application I do my best to get them lined up perfect but in an that will come under stress application I try to get them all evenly and well tightened. So I vote absolutey no in a rub rail, when I removed the old rub rail on my 22 I found better the 1/2 the screws loose mostly from the windshield forward. I put it back together with double the amount of screws and an adhesive between the hull and deck.

Phil

pmreed
08-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Never checked'em on my boat or anyone else's. I do try to line'em up on switchplates though:) .

Phil

gpapich
08-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Definitely aligned. Yes, definitely aligned, defintely, definitely (sit down and rock back and forth as you say this...)

goatee
08-20-2006, 10:08 AM
lettering on the trailer tires must be lined up too

dont forget to make sure they're at the top when you park

penbroke
08-20-2006, 10:32 AM
It looks nice but it's more important that they are tightened correctly.

A little dab of silicone on the threads will hold 'em from comming loose on a rough ride.:eek!:

Frank

undertaker
08-20-2006, 10:33 AM
I voted Yes since I have been known to be a little anal:) :) as a matter of fact after the Lake Winni event I had to tighten my windshield and rub rail screws and found myself aligning them all the same:bonk: :bonk: oh well funeral diectors are ALL weirdo's:yes: :bonk: :propeller :eek!:

Undertaker:wink:

Cuda
08-20-2006, 11:09 AM
I know it's not wednesday night, But there must not be alot going on in Deland tonight.:wink: ...........................And :yes: they are.
Couldn't stand it could ya? :)

Debbie and I were outside, I was shining her new rubrail, and told her I couldn't believe they didn't orient the screws. She looked at me like I was nuts. I told her, I'd bet her $100 that Catch 22's screws were aligned. She wouldn't take the bet. Good thing, because then I called Jim and asked him. As soon as I asked him, he hollered back over his shoulder, "Gina, get your shoes on!" :) :)

Cuda
08-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Since I through bolted mine into Tee nuts, when they're tight, they're tight and that's where they are.
Besides, when you have a RED rub rail, no one notices the screws.

George, you dissapoint me. You would have been my second choice. :(

Cuda
08-20-2006, 11:19 AM
It looks like I'll have to pin all my Florida hopes on Donzigo.
Come on Richard, don't let me down! :)

onesubdrvr
08-20-2006, 11:22 AM
The thing is Joe, answers #2 and #3 go hand in hand, and #'s 1 and 4 go hand in hand

"Don't you have anything else better to do at midnight on a Saturday??? OF COURSE THEY ARE LINED UP!!" :yes:

I'm still laughing about this one!

Wayne

Tony
08-20-2006, 11:28 AM
What MOP said.

Team Jefe
08-21-2006, 06:41 AM
I've head of this Obsessive thing before....but I would have never thought about otherwise....Joe, I too would have thought George to be in the straight screw crew:wink:

Morgan's Cloud
08-21-2006, 06:58 AM
:jestera: The devil's in the details.
I align every single screw/bolt head no matter where it is hidden.
HOWEVER as George pointed out there are times that with screws (not bolts) that this can't be done. It is more important (to me) that they are done up correctly (with a little goop on the threads) than it is for them to align , as nice as it looks.
Actually, I re-installed my rubrail a few weeks ago..... I'm getting there slowly.

ChromeGorilla
08-21-2006, 08:26 AM
....just FYI........ My 22 came from the factory with every single rubrail screw indexed perfectly.... like this.... ----> +++++++++++++++++ :yes:

olredalert
08-21-2006, 08:42 AM
-------While being aligned would be nice having them tight is better!!! Having a twin-engine boat I am constantly tightening rubrail screws (harmonics?). I once noticed one had worked its way over half way out and I had checked them all only a couple of weeks prior.
-------Now, heres another one,,, do you also orient all your engine compartment scoop screws the same???? I have to have the slots all oriented front to back. Dont ask me why as I dont have a clue........Bill S

Last Tango
08-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Previous to owning a Donzi, I never worried about such things in my life. Maybe a total lack of attention to detail of this kind, was at fault. I was unaware of the Classic rubrail screw alignment issue until a few years ago when it first surfaced on this board. I went out and looked at my new Donzi, and sure enough, they were all nicely aligned. After a couple years, some screws loosened (particularly after running in Tampa Bay at the Annual Hometown Gathering). I took my Phillips head screw driver and carefully retightened each one, and noticed how difficult it must have been when building the boat, to accomplish this feat and still have them snug. I did fair with the alignment process, choosing to actually have them tight, not over-tightened or stripped, yet still somewhat aligned. I continue to this day to obsess about that imperfection in my boat.
To my everlasting joy, the rub rail on my 22ZX does not have this detail to worry about. The new boat is only 4 months old and I have scraped most of the rub rail on docks at waterfront restaurants. No problem. I plan to change the rubrail out each year during the boats annual service. Although the pretty Stainless Steel rubrail on my 18 Classic never seemed to get damaged in the entire 6 years, the 22ZX rubrail has all the strength of Silly Putty and has quickly marred to "10 footer" status (you have to be closer than 10 feet to notice).
Still, I can replace it far more easily, and with less frustration, than aligning 273 Phillips head screw patterns.

gcarter
08-21-2006, 12:31 PM
I've head of this Obsessive thing before....but I would have never thought about otherwise....Joe, I too would have thought George to be in the straight screw crew:wink:
Can't always be straight AND tight!!!!
Tight is ALWAYS better!!

Cuda
08-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Can't always be straight AND tight!!!!
Tight is ALWAYS better!!
You can't back the nut off, turn it and make them come out straight?:confused:

joseph m. hahnl
08-21-2006, 03:29 PM
I've been going back and forth to the the lake so I haven't had much time to hang my hat here at home. Well Joe I have to admit that would be a quality job well done.:yes: But I could care less I can't see myself getting all worked up over somthing as trivial as screw slot alignment:boggled: . Besides I can't see them from the drivers seat. Which is were I spend most of my time. Yes that's right I actually prefer to drive my boat rather than work on it.:wink:

Hey Matty: Amen Brother

Joe

Donziweasel
08-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Just happy to have the damn boat. Haven't even looked at the rubrail screws. :boggled:

Schnook
08-21-2006, 08:21 PM
The rubrail imprints I leave in the dock all seem to be aligned...:smash:

BaldEagle
08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Cuda,
heres how my windscreen screws look on the like new 2005 AE I just bought. (ref 2005 Aronow Edition in classifieds). Last owner must have hit a tsunami. It bent the windscreen in, damaged the coating, and let corrosion in under all the screw holes. Some of the screws are no longer aligned. Well it does have 6.5 hours, ooops no 20 hours on it. I'll have to get the old screw driver out.

mikev
08-22-2006, 11:35 AM
mine dont matter since there under a black rubber strip. :wink:

wrussellw
08-22-2006, 06:54 PM
that's what goes in all those holes!!:bonk:

Team Jefe
08-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Matty - are you subltey trying to say you do not regularly check your rub rail screws for alignment?

MOP
08-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Age and experiance speaks the truth Rust & Rot has it right! and as the poll shows 1/3 either don't care/ or don't know and the othe 1/3 think time could be better spent!

Rootsy
08-22-2006, 08:34 PM
i put the 16 on a bed plate and shot each screw head with a laser to verify that each and every rubrail screw was perfectly aligned. :eek!:

BUIZILLA
08-22-2006, 08:36 PM
i put the 16 on a bed plate and shot each screw head with a laser to verify that each and every rubrail screw was perfectly aligned. :eek!:
I call BS... :wink:

Cuda
08-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Atta boy! :)

Rootsy
08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I call BS... :wink:

it's true, all of it i swear... and i typed this while fishing last night too :D

did i ever tell you bout the midget i hired with the toothbrush to micropolish the bottom??? :wink:

Ghost
05-02-2011, 12:11 AM
For the record, I laughed out loud three separate times while reading this thread.

lakematdude
05-02-2011, 04:52 AM
In the past and I believe the cobalt boats dealers are still supposed to do this, cobalt boats asked the dealers to align the screws on the rub rail when the dealers install the new polished stainless steel screws cobalt sends with each boat.

The boat comes in shrink wrapped with non polished screws to avoid damage to the look of the polished screw heads. When the dealer removes the shrink wrap they have to remove some of the rub rail screws that help hold the shrink wrap on to the boat, It is then they are supposed to align the polished screws from what I can remember.:bonk::)

Walt. H.
05-02-2011, 12:06 PM
The use of polished s/s countersink torque head screws will solve this alignment issue problem. :kingme:

Please note:
When I posted this earlier I had no idea someone was digging up all these old survey polls and I didn't notice the dates when they were first written, plus I followed two other members that had posted only hours before I did.
It wasn't clear to me what was going on until I started reading the inquiries from other members about all these old poll questions being resurrected, and it's difficult to believe it was a honest mistake?

pipnit
05-03-2011, 01:15 PM
I think a more interesting poll would be to see if everyone has all of their spark plugs indexed in the same direction!

DonziJon
07-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Anyone notice the Original Poster....? I Voted this afternoon just to bring this up to the top....to see what would happen.. I've been snooping on the board to see where I can go.

CUDA....and SOFA KING may be banned from this forum,,,BUT THEY are still in the database. They are NOT on the members list..so I think they have no access to the board..BUT EVERYTHING they said... is still here. :yes:

SO: If you older members ...(those who have been members for awhile) want to re-live the old days..just click "Search"... type in any Screename you are interested in... and Click. The atmosphere seems much more relaxed... lets say 5 years ago. The old timers will recognise the screenames..Many have left. You can see the change of attitudes over time in some of the individuals....Who are STILL here. :bonk: DJ

mc donzi
07-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Catch 22 and I have been having this ongoing discussion about who would, and who wouldn't have their screws in the rubrail all oriented the same. :)

Was there a full moon that night???? Aaaaaaaaaaaah oooooooooh!!

I bought a used 16 back in 1977(I think) and the seller pointed out that the Phillips screws were aligned ++++++ at the factory. A quality control thing he said. Last time I looked my 22 is ++++++.

Carl C
07-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Was there a full moon that night???? Aaaaaaaaaaaah oooooooooh!!

I bought a used 16 back in 1977(I think) and the seller pointed out that the Phillips screws were aligned ++++++ at the factory. A quality control thing he said. Last time I looked my 22 is ++++++.

Quality control :rolleyes:. The wiring behind the gunwales where you don't see it looks like it was rigged by a 5 year old :boggled:. I had a ground issue behind the dash and when I cut open the heat shrink wrap two of the wires weren't even crimped in the connector; They were just wrapped around it:mad: Oh yeah, and the hull bottom cracked after two years with the stock power and needed a factory engineered reinforcement:garfield: The rear seat bottom upholstery is falling apart after 6 seasons when I've seen upholstery last 20 years :bonk:. But the fu*king screws are lined up.............:lightning

Donzi_Dude
07-22-2011, 04:52 PM
this just freaks me out!

joseph m. hahnl
07-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Quality control :rolleyes:. The wiring behind the gunwales where you don't see it looks like it was rigged by a 5 year old :boggled:. I had a ground issue behind the dash and when I cut open the heat shrink wrap two of the wires weren't even crimped in the connector; They were just wrapped around it:mad: Oh yeah, and the hull bottom cracked after two years with the stock power and needed a factory engineered reinforcement:garfield: The rear seat bottom upholstery is falling apart after 6 seasons when I've seen upholstery last 20 years :bonk:. But the fu*king screws are lined up.............:lightning

All this may be true Carl but you know you love your boat anyway and you wouldn't give it up.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/picture.php?pictureid=463&albumid=6&dl=1227880328&thumb=1 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/album.php?albumid=6&pictureid=463)

Carl C
07-22-2011, 05:19 PM
All this may be true Carl but you know you love your boat anyway and you wouldn't give it up.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/picture.php?pictureid=463&albumid=6&dl=1227880328&thumb=1 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/album.php?albumid=6&pictureid=463)

I'm married to it but I do like it and I love driving it. I'm a little disappointed in the quality control but at least the screws are lined up... :)

Yay! I painted the house!
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures223Medium.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures229Medium-1.jpg

Ghost
07-22-2011, 09:21 PM
House looks great Carl, nice!

hardcrab
07-22-2011, 09:45 PM
House looks great Carl, nice!

The logs need to be lined up ...........

gmcars10
07-22-2011, 10:17 PM
I actually thought this was a joke (like looking for hair on your knuckles) but just had to go look. Everyone of them is perfectly lined up. Unbelievable :boggled: Thanks guys, for adding something else to my obsessive disorder. Now I will be checking all the time.

GBond
07-22-2011, 10:30 PM
The logs need to be lined up ...........

:biggrin.:

Carl C
07-22-2011, 10:49 PM
I actually thought this was a joke (like looking for hair on your knuckles) but just had to go look. Everyone of them is perfectly lined up. Unbelievable :boggled: Thanks guys, for adding something else to my obsessive disorder. Now I will be checking all the time.

The ones on the radio faceplate and tabs, etc. are lined up on mine too.

gmcars10
07-22-2011, 11:32 PM
The ones on the radio faceplate and tabs, etc. are lined up on mine too.

Ok, enough already. I actually went out to the garage with a flashlight. My radio is not. My dash plates are. My windshield screws are not. I was on my way to bed....now how am I gonna sleep?? :frown:

rustnrot
07-23-2011, 02:23 PM
I can be as OC as anyone else but lining up the screw heads is idiocy. It falls under the great noise level of life.

My mantra is "OK, fine, you tell me which ones you want too loose and which ones you want too tight".

Now, let me get back to worrying about more important things...I need to recheck the torque on my screw in light bulbs...

dsparis
07-25-2011, 12:27 PM
You guys are killing me Now I gotta go check.

Ghost
07-26-2011, 09:27 AM
...My mantra is "OK, fine, you tell me which ones you want too loose and which ones you want too tight"...

LOL, I had a similar thought. It certainly ensures less than perfect torque on screws.

That said, now that I think about it, a max of 1/8th of a turn too tight or too loose (and an average of 1/16th of a turn) probably isn't an engineering problem for the non-engine parts. And it's not like the alternative is torque-wrenchng them all very precisely to whatever orientation results.

I don't mind craftsmen and others who are so attentive to things that they go to such obsessive lengths to put the icing on the cake. But get the d^mned stringers right first, please. :)

pipnit
07-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I think a more interesting poll would be to see if everyone has all of their spark plugs indexed in the same direction!

Am I the only one who indexes plugs? I know, I know OT... maybe I should start a thread?!:shocking: