PDA

View Full Version : 18 Classic, Minx or Hornet

Donziweasel
08-19-2006, 09:58 AM
As the sale of my company gets close to selling, I am looking to get another Donzi. I like the 18 Classic ( I always wanted a baby blue one) and it would look good next to the 16, but on the other hand, I really like the boats from the late 70's and early mid 80's. Something about the lines of the Minx, Hornet II and Hornet III look like that era, but are also timeless and will never truely age. Wife likes the Minx. Any advice?

Cuda
08-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I think your wife is right.:wink:

Tony
08-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Always agree with the wife! Buy this boat (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44332), you will not regret it.

:beer:

Cuda
08-19-2006, 10:19 PM
I thought that Minx sold and was headed to Europe. I do know it doesn't have an extra interior anymore. :)

Cuda
08-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Ya know, you sure spend a lot of money on a boat you keep threatening to sell...
Debbie made the same observation. :)

Donziweasel
08-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Real good looking boat. I even like the color. What is asking price? If my wife sees it, I am a dead man.

Donziweasel
08-20-2006, 07:36 PM
By the way, what is the major difference in the ride of an 18 vs. a 16. Been in a few 16, a Minx, and a 22, but never an 18. Does the hook make a huge difference in the 16 vs. not having one in a 18? What about the fun factor, becuase my 16 is the funest boat I have ever driven.

Madpoodle, I have only been on the boards for about a month and just now getting to know the members and thier boats. What ya got in your stable?

Donziweasel
08-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Probably just the ones she knows about. :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

CHACHI
08-21-2006, 06:15 AM
I thought that Minx sold and was headed to Europe. I do know it doesn't have an extra interior anymore. :)No, the Minx is not headed to Europe (it's still in upstate NY), and last I checked (yesterday), the interior is still in my boathouse, and they both are still for sale. Ken

Carl C
08-21-2006, 06:32 AM
an 18 straddles the waves much better... I plan to be buried in mine :) :eek!: Hopefully not at sea!

Cuda
08-21-2006, 11:27 AM
No, the Minx is not headed to Europe (it's still in upstate NY), and last I checked (yesterday), the interior is still in my boathouse, and they both are still for sale. Ken
My bad. I could have sworn I read that somewhere, and I probably just assumed there was only one extra Minx interior laying around.:wink:

Donziweasel
08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
I want the engine.:) :) :)

boldts
08-21-2006, 12:51 PM
You guys are killen me here. I love the Minx and Ken's is the best one on the market in my opinion at this time. I've owned both an 18' Classic and a 22' Classic. The 18 is like a wooden rollercoaster. It handles like it's on rails and I've tackled Lake Erie big rollers in mine in the past. The 22, I think you loose a bit of the crispness of the 18, but for big water, it really is a much more comfortable boat for family due to the added length.

I had to miss the year we celebrated the Minx at AOTH and we've had a gentleman come down to AOTH from Chicago who owns a red and cream one. It's got a very nice cammed small block in it. I've yet to ride in a Minx, but it was the first Donzi I ever saw at a dealership here in OH. Fell in love with the boat, unfortunately, not the price tag at the time. So then found my 18 and the rest is history. One day, there will be another Donzi in my driveway.

Donziweasel
08-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I few Minx owners have contacted me via private message for selling. All I have seen are really nice boats. Still undecided. I guess the next question is the fun factor. I have owned 6 boats and my 16 is by far the funnest I have ever driven. I like the fun factor. Which would be funnest (is that a word?:boggled:) to drive, Minx or 18C. I don't live near big water like the Great Lakes, but the lakes around here are around 20-30 miles long and can get some chop. I do have a bad back (it doesn't slow me down too much:) ) and my 16 can beat on me a little. I also like to go to Powell and hope to be attending more Donzi gatherings around the country in the future once my company has sold. Got a good buyer for the company on the line right now. Retired at 36 years old, pretty happy about that!:) :) :)

joseph m. hahnl
08-21-2006, 05:02 PM
The Minx has 2 styles of windshields. There is the low cut like you see on Kens. and then there is the stainless Italian one that you see on the Older Z boats, Mine has the Stainless and to be honest I haven't seen another one with it, My boat could possibly be the the last one ever made so maybe it is the only one. I did see a picture of one in the old registry that was Identicle to mine, For all I know that was my boat with the original owner driving it.

The Minx is a warm comfort boat, so if you liketo get wet. It is not the boat for you.

It is the sexiest Donzi ever made. "Hence the name Minx". I get compliments on her where ever I go.

joe

Donziweasel
08-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Joe, great looking boat!