PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding restoration / rebuilding 18 foot classic

Bill L
08-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Just wrote this long thread only to have the site time me out so I lost everything.

Anyway, I have a 1980-1981 w/ a 454 w/ a TRS outdrive. I bought it in the early 90s only to have the motor fail after using it twice. I'm now thinking of rebuilding it to new or near new condition.

1) The hull is in reasonably good condition but has been painted. Anyone know roughly how much it would be to have the paint removed and the gelcoat refinished.

2) Does age have a detrimental impact on the fiberglass?

3) Does Donzi do any restoration work. Can anyone recommend some shops to consider.

4) Donzi offers the 6.2 / bravo package on the current Donzi. Are the installation dimensions and motor mounts available. Should the installation be left to professionals?

5) Does Donzi sell many of the parts such as wiring harnesses, etc. Not worried about being period correct.

6) Can the fuel cell replacement be done by reasonably mechanical guy?

7) How much does a new 18 classic w/ the 6.2 / bravo package cost to buy? I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it.

Thanks for the help,

Bill

gcarter
08-18-2006, 08:30 PM
1) Hulls are usually painted because the gel has deteorated. But nothing wrong w/good paint if in good condition. You could remove the paint. It would cost several thousand to repair the gel after the paint removal.
2) Not particularly. Main damage would come from water damage to the deck core and transom.
3) Not that I know of. Mr MadPoodle probably knows someone in your area that's qualified.
4)Yes. The dimensions are available from a number of sources. I think there's a difference in the TRS and Alpha/Bravo mounting dimensions. They're really not that hard to mount, get a good manual.
5) No. But 18C wiring diagrams are readily available from members here and not too difficult to build a harness.
6) There's LOTS of info here about tank replacement. Do a search. Or you can look at; http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703&page=1&pp=15
7) Probably a lot more than a resto done mostly by yourself.
Also there's a lot of satisfaction in doing it.
BTW, welcome. and there's a lot of fellow Donzi owners in your area.

onesubdrvr
08-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Just wrote this long thread only to have the site time me out so I lost everything.
Anyway, I have a 1980-1981 w/ a 454 w/ a TRS outdrive. I bought it in the early 90s only to have the motor fail after using it twice. I'm now thinking of rebuilding it to new or near new condition.
1) The hull is in reasonably good condition but has been painted. Anyone know roughly how much it would be to have the paint removed and the gelcoat refinished.
2) Does age have a detrimental impact on the fiberglass?
3) Does Donzi do any restoration work. Can anyone recommend some shops to consider.
4) Donzi offers the 6.2 / bravo package on the current Donzi. Are the installation dimensions and motor mounts available. Should the installation be left to professionals?
5) Does Donzi sell many of the parts such as wiring harnesses, etc. Not worried about being period correct.
6) Can the fuel cell replacement be done by reasonably mechanical guy?
7) How much does a new 18 classic w/ the 6.2 / bravo package cost to buy? I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it.
Thanks for the help,
Bill
Bill

Welcome to the registry

I too am beginning a resto of an 18,......1972 X-18 Hull #16.

I am having the glass work done by A Quality Fiberglass (in Fort Pierce), but take a look down there in the yellow pages / drive up / down US-1 / A1A / Dixie from west palm south as far as your willing to go, also lot's of places in Stuart that I'm going to check out before I pull the trigger.

I'm having the glass guy pull the deck off to repair the stringers and gussets, while it's off, I'm going to swap the tank out. After he's done, I'm taking care of the rest. Right now I don't really have the place to work on it, or I'd be doing it all myself. Like George said, there is ALOT of satisfaction in a job you've don yourself. Also, there is a TON of knowledge on this board, a good thread to see what is involved is "Saga of the red mistress", do a search for it, it's only a page or so back in the Performance Talk section, it's a ground up on an old barrell back. All the work was done by Rootsy (a board member).

As far as the package,.....there are alot of people that really like the TRS drives, they can be rebuilt near bullit proof (see MadPoodle). I like that package, the BB gives lots of room for growth power wise, and the TRS can be built to take it. That being said, LastTango had a 2004 (I Think) 18 with the 6.2 Bravo 1 package, and it was a damn good running boat. I think you'll find rebuilding your TRS and BB SLIGHTLY more economical, but long term, you may be happier with the FI 6.2 package with the very popular Bravo drive.

I'll be installing a 350mag mpi in mine, drive is to be determined depending on what needs to be done to the transom. I currently have an old Volvo 280T drive which is very reliable, and horsepower friendly, just the only prop for it (from what I understand) is the Solas offered by Big Grizzly. Other props fit, but that prop has been designed with the hydrodynamics of the Volvo drive in mind,.....it takes a bigger diameter prop than a Bravo. I figure I'll have easily another 7k into my X when it's done (I hope I'm off on the high side, but last time I was WAY low on my estimate).

I'd say a new 18 with the 6.2mx mpi and a Bravo I drive is easily 40k,....but then again, I haven't shopped for a new donzi in nearly 3 years - kids :wink:

Also, there are board members that can point you in the right direction for the best price on the parts you need, and also, consider E-Bay.

What ever you decide, best of luck, and keep us informed with LOTS of pictures.

Wayne