PDA

View Full Version : Trailering safety and stern tie downs ???

coldwater
08-18-2006, 02:42 PM

mrfixxall
08-18-2006, 04:24 PM
My 18 did not have U bolts in the transom when I bought it.
I dont trailer far. The ramp is a mile from the garage. So it hasnt been a big priority to add them.
However, I selected a tandem trailer with disk brakes because I intend to do some traveling one of these days... So, rather than wait till then, want to find the best ways to secure the stern to the trailer!
I know a pair of U bolts is the conventional way to go. I just dont really love the look. So, before I start drilling more holes, was wondering if anyone knows of other ways to safely secure the boat?
Perhaps a long ratchet strap over the rear top and sides connecting to the trailer frame?
Any thoughts??

Looking back 20 yrs or so i use to use a transm strap..it did the trick dut it was a pain to get off (no ratchet style)..It would also leave a 2'' ware mark across the back of the boat..So i chose to drill the holes and do it the modern way,they also work for sking or tubing..If i were you drill the holes but make sure you add a 4"X4'' ss or alunimum plate inside the transm for reinforcement so they dont pull through..

Pismo
08-18-2006, 06:55 PM
I tow everywhere always, towed my 22 from Dallas to NY, and have never tied anything down, never anything but the bow eye strap and that I set loosely so it doesn't jerk. On a good four bed trailer with good suspension that is setup to match your boat all is well. Gravity is a strong thing. Boats tend to move forward on trailers anyhow. On a roller trailer I would be more careful.

pmreed
08-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I use a 2" ratcheting strap across the stern deck of my 22C hooking into stainless eye bolts on the trailer frame. It runs just behind the rear cleats. I use a folded hand towel on each side where the strap wraps over the side of the boat. I also use a ratcheting bow strap running from the bow eye back to a hook on the frame. I don't want the boat going anywhere I don't intend for it to go.

Phil

tiger lily
08-18-2006, 07:35 PM
first off, pismo your insane

second, i always use my transom strap, it never leaves a mark, i put a piece of cardboard underneath the metal part, put a strap going backwards on the bow eye, a strap going foward, plus my winch strap, then i lock the winch with a bungie cord, ive had to lock up my brakes on the highway from 80-0 before because of morons when traveling with boat, never once was worried about it coming loose on the trailer, and i always check them every time i stop, because they do always come loose. and make sure your drive is secured all the way up in the trailer position, get some plastic pieces that lock it in there if using a bravo, alpha , or king cobra, my volvo drive i strap up to secure it from falling.

gcarter
08-18-2006, 07:44 PM
I tow everywhere always, towed my 22 from Dallas to NY, and have never tied anything down, never anything but the bow eye strap and that I set loosely so it doesn't jerk. On a good four bed trailer with good suspension that is setup to match your boat all is well. Gravity is a strong thing. Boats tend to move forward on trailers anyhow. On a roller trailer I would be more careful.
I was wondering...is yours a steel trailer?
I noticed on my aluminum trailer that if the bow strap isn't pulled up tight, the trailer frame will flex and the bow will bounce on the V-guide nylon block. When I re-gelled my bottom, I had to repair a small amount of damage there.
However if the strap is tight, the frame becomes quite rigid and the bow rides about 1/8" OFF the V-guide. I would have to believe the rigid position is better structurally and would induce less fatigue into the frame members.

Stern straps...one day I saw someone strapping his stern. He had a couple of pieces of carpet with slots cut in them that slid over the transom U-bolts. Then when the straps were applied, the hardware was wearing against the carpet and not the gel.

Cuda
08-18-2006, 08:01 PM
I must be crazy like Pismo. The only boat I strap down is my aluminum v hull, because it will bounce off the trailer when you hit a bump.

I do keep the bow cinched up tight against the bow stop, otherwise, it bounces like a demon.

Carl C
08-18-2006, 09:09 PM
I haven't used tie downs but might start after seeing this: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46225 :eek!:

Pismo
08-19-2006, 07:30 AM
I have a very low steel trailer, the bow sits nicely against the V in the front which keeps it from moving forward which contrary to popular opinion is the way boats move on trailers (tow setups slow with many, many times the force than they accelerate so forward the load tends). If I crank it down tight it puts lots of load on the eye and trailer as it pulls somewhat down as well as forward so I attach it firmly/slackless but not cranked in, it sits better this way. The bow is a little lower than the stern, two 12' beds, two 10' beds, plus the bow support. If I connected it to the trailer with nothing but gravity, not even the bow eye, I doubt I could knock it off the trailer, or even get it to move at all, even if I tried by driving donuts or something very reckless. My big block 22 is a heavy boat which fits it's bed trailer dead on. Straps, ropes, etc will do little/nothing in my setup. Other boats I have trailered I often need to add a rope to hold it back but that is about it. If using a roller trailer, different story, tie it down forward and back.

undertaker
08-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I am far from a expert....but... this is what I do, I have towed my 22 classic on a steel MYCO trailer this year to Lake Cumberland, Lake Winni, Lake Wallenpaupack ( 2 1/2 hrs. one way more than once) and the Upper Cheseapeake Bay (1 1/2 hrs. one way more than once). I pull the winch strap snug up against the bow stop, have two straps going from bow eye back to two rings that are welded to the trailer (keep boat from moving forward), I also have two stern straps from boat stern eyes to trailer stern eyes also welded to trailer....my thought process is this not so much the boat flying off the trailer but I want the boat & trailer to be a single unit meaning if I hit a dip in the road at 80 MPH the boat and trailer TOGETHER bounce up & down not the boat bounce up and then comes down on the trailer.. A boats stern will move on the trailer without stern straps I have seen it bunk cradle trailers or not...so if ya tow 2-3 miles to ramp maybe you do not have to be so anal as me with all the straps but if ya tow many miles to events or ramps I think an extra couple bucks for additional straps and a extra 5 minutes to remove at the ramp is peace of mind since these rigs cost big bucks (at least mine did:) :) )

Sorry for the long post and good luck in your decision....:yes: :yes:

Undertaker- strap BOY!!!!!:cool: :cool:

PS Not to speak for Dr. Dan but I travel and run with him a lot and he has the same set up as me and tows more miles than me if that means anything to ya....:pimp:

Donziweasel
08-19-2006, 10:08 AM
I have a G3 fishing boat with a Yamaha Jet Driver that I towed from Billings, MT to Jackson. This was over 2 mountain passes and some of the worse roads in the US (ever been over the Beartooth Highway? It is 11,000ft and will scare the s**t out of you) without the back strapped down and it was fine. Even though it made it, I welded some hooks to the trailer becuase it just made me feel better to have the back strapped down on this light boat.

Just put trim tabs on my 16 classic and could'nt use the hooks on the ezloader. All I did was drill 1/2 inch holes right behind the lights. Use the exsisting cam straps. You can't see the holes at all and when strapped, the boat is securely on the trailer.

LKSD
08-20-2006, 11:24 AM
I am far from a expert....but... this is what I do, I have towed my 22 classic on a steel MYCO trailer this year to Lake Cumberland, Lake Winni, Lake Wallenpaupack ( 2 1/2 hrs. one way more than once) and the Upper Cheseapeake Bay (1 1/2 hrs. one way more than once). I pull the winch strap snug up against the bow stop, have two straps going from bow eye back to two rings that are welded to the trailer (keep boat from moving forward), I also have two stern straps from boat stern eyes to trailer stern eyes also welded to trailer....my thought process is this not so much the boat flying off the trailer but I want the boat & trailer to be a single unit meaning if I hit a dip in the road at 80 MPH the boat and trailer TOGETHER bounce up & down not the boat bounce up and then comes down on the trailer.. A boats stern will move on the trailer without stern straps I have seen it bunk cradle trailers or not...so if ya tow 2-3 miles to ramp maybe you do not have to be so anal as me with all the straps but if ya tow many miles to events or ramps I think an extra couple bucks for additional straps and a extra 5 minutes to remove at the ramp is peace of mind since these rigs cost big bucks (at least mine did:) :) )
Sorry for the long post and good luck in your decision....:yes: :yes:
Undertaker- strap BOY!!!!!:cool: :cool:

Ditto.. I agree with you.. Also if the boat is one with the trailer it gives it less chance to wear into the fininsh in any way. An ounce of prevention is worth it...... As a rule any boat we transport gets strapped front & rear if at all possible, I usually carry extra's in my truck incase a customers boat doesnt have them. No boat's coming off or getting dammaged on my time!!

I have heard, seen & know of other boats being damaged because of not having them held down properly. One that comes to mind is a fly by nite place up here that moved an old inboard wooden boat. He didnt use any saftey straps & the bow lead failed.. Off cam the boat onto the pavement!.. Needless to say after they got the boat back on the trailer several thing were learned by them that day.. The customer ended up bringing the boat to us to redo...

If you any of you are concerned about marks from the straps, use a terrycloth towel or t stirt wrapped up underneath them. It is less abraisive than carpet and will help buffer it... Jamie / Lakeside

undertaker
08-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Jaime you making fun of my t-shirt chafing guards:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Undertaker:cool:

Barry Eller
08-20-2006, 01:07 PM
To the boat, what else did you think I meant?

LKSD
08-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Jaime you making fun of my t-shirt chafing guards:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Undertaker:cool:

Na.. Actually I didnt realize you used the t shirts too.. Great minds think alike they say.. :)

I think I may try to use Donzi Kristins panties if I run out of shirts... :eek!: :eek!: I think I would need a lot of old thongs though to protect the finish!! Hell Id rather she doesn't wear the undies anyway.. Besides Imagine the looks Id get towing & launching the boat with them on the trailer straps!! :) Jamie

Barry Eller
08-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Na.. Actually I didnt realize you used the t shirts too.. Great minds think alike they say.. :)
I think I may try to use Donzi Kristins panties if I run out of shirts... :eek!: :eek!: I think I would need a lot of old thongs though to protect the finish!! Hell Id rather she doesn't wear the undies anyway.. Besides Imagine the looks Id get towing & launching the boat with them on the trailer straps!! :) Jamie

I bet perverts miss the old days when laundry was hung on a clothes line outside for everyone to see!!:hyper:

LKSD
08-20-2006, 02:29 PM
I bet perverts miss the old days when laundry was hung on a clothes line outside for everyone to see!!:hyper:

:yes: :yes: Dont you too?? !! :wink: :wink: :cool!:

Barry Eller
08-20-2006, 03:07 PM
:yes: :yes: Don't you too?? !! :wink: :wink: :cool!:
Did you look at the Women's underwear pages in the Sears and Roebuck Catalog too? I couldn't wait until the next issue of National Geographic arrived in the mail!!

:yippie: :yippie:

Damn, I'm getting old....

LKSD
08-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Did you look at the Women's underwear pages in the Sears and Roebuck Catalog too? I couldn't wait until the next issue of National Geographic arrived in the mail!!
:yippie: :yippie:
Damn, I'm getting old....

Na, I wasn't that hard up... (no pun intended).. If I looked at anything back then as a kid sneaking a look @ Hef's litereature was the stuff of choice.. I just like being a wise a$$ at times.. Fortunatley my wife allows me to continue with my speaking my occasional craziness.. She & I are fairly openminded & easy going with that sort of thing.. :) Thank God for my sake :) :)...

It would seem you are quick & witty with some words as well.. :) J

RedDog
08-20-2006, 04:14 PM
As Tiger Lilly said - you're insane if you don't use transom straps. The straps are to keep the trailer snug to the to boat; not necessarily to keep the boat snug to the trailer.

Folks may have gone many miles with no problems but one day the luck will run out.

The tracks through the median are mine with the 22 in tow. Exited the north bound lanes, crossed bumpy median and came out in the south bound lanes, and then recrossed the median back to the north bound lanes. Without transom straps who knows where my boat would have ended up.

The last picture shows how tough Donzis are built - that is the damage that resulted from the blue tractor-trailer clipping my stern. I drove on home and he has towed off (PS - I learned later the truck driver was an unlicensed illegal immigrant).
Also note in the third picture the extra hook. When travelling far, I secure the drive with a set of straps - one to each side of the the transom - to provide additional support and to keep the drive from having any swing and adding excess loading to the transom.

Barry Eller
08-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Na, I wasn't that hard up... (no pun intended).. If I looked at anything back then as a kid sneaking a look @ Hef's litereature was the stuff of choice.. I just like being a wise a$$ at times.. Fortunatley my wife allows me to continue with my speaking my occasional craziness.. She & I are fairly openminded & easy going with that sort of thing.. :) Thank God for my sake :) :)...
It would seem you are quick & witty with some words as well.. :) J

You are astute, my wife and I are crazy, open-minded, and love to have fun. She lets me be my smart ass self too.

Come visit Gulf Breeze, Florida
You have my formal invation.

Barry and Denise Eller

LKSD
08-20-2006, 07:06 PM
You are astute, my wife and I are crazy, open-minded, and love to have fun. She lets me be my smart ass self too.
Come visit Gulf Breeze, Florida
You have my formal invation.
Barry and Denise Eller

Kewl.... Our kind of people.. :) Thanks for the invite.. :) If we get out your way we will drop you a line.. We are currently looking at making plans for the Miami boat show this winter. Hopefully all will continue to go well & we will get away for more than a weekend.. Jamie & Kristin :)

Barry Eller
08-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I think anyone that has trailered a boat for very long knows the importance of securing the boat to the trailer.

Trailer maintenance is also important.

I prefer transom ties to over the stern straps.

Anyone care to take a poll?

yeller
08-21-2006, 12:18 AM
OK, I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet. Am I the only person left that still runs a chain from the bow ring to the trailer??? This should be standard practice...whether you go 2 blocks or 2000mi. You don't have to be on a major highway to rear end someone and have your boat run forward on you. Those of you that run extra straps from the bow ring back achieve similar safety....I just prefer metal chain over straps.

Prismo, Cuda....not knockin ya.....but you're taking a big risk using just the winch strap. Hopefully nothing will ever happen...but....who knows what the person in front of you is going to do. As well...your risking your entire investment to ONE strap, ONE hook. What it that fails????

Team Jefe
08-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Pismo/Cuda - I gotta agree with the others...plus I'm surprised YOU two only use one strap.

For me I have a HEAVY boat...full of fuel Jefe's Revenge pushing 8K and gravity ain't enough...even with straps

Coming back from Winni...WE...ran over a crub, into a ditch and jacked the boat up and over one chine...this is with 5K straps on the back.

So, now I have 10K straps on each side in the rear. Like Poodle I have my bow eye come right up to the front roller and have the winch under the roller providinig somoe downward force. My winch is rated for 12 tons; added when I had the pillar "beefed" up. I broke it early on braking and WAS NOT Happy....Now it is Hell for Stout. I also use a 10K strap to the lower beam of the trailer to provide more downward force and added holding power. I also use a 3/8" doubled chain as a final safety measurre.

Maybe overboard...but I no longer worry anout that big dog going places I don't want it too.

On a side note: When was the last time you checked you ball. I use a 15K rated ball and mount...and replace the ball every year or so.....I've seen too many balls shear off or come loose and break...that is cheap insurance.

DTM
08-21-2006, 07:24 AM
I agree that a transom strap(s) are needed. On my Z21 I use a strap on each side from the cleat to the trailer. I found a nice set at Northern Tool that you just pull tight the close the buckle to take up any slack. Also the have plastic corner protectors (about $4 each) that stop any marring to the hull.

PS: Had a friend that did not ever use any other straps then the bow. While stopping, a car “tapped” the boat and sent it smashing into the back of the SUV. Might want to think about the “what if” scenarios.

Rootsy
08-21-2006, 07:31 AM
unsprung weight is a VEWY VEWY bad thing....

i ALWAYS tie down the stern. the 16 had u-bolts on the transom straight from donzi and the eagle trailer had tabs for tiedowns... i used them all of the time... more than once on I-696 (North Detroit) have i seen the 16 and eagle (leaf spring suspension) LEAVE THE GROUND behind the F150... yes i've seen air under the tires... and not just an inch or so... we're talking 3100 lbs nearly a foot off the ground once or twice... there is this one spot approaching I-94 before the tunnel that i recall.... could you imagine the loft that would have given the boat if it hadn't been tied down in the stern?

the 18 will get 2 stainless U bolts when it is finished... i HATE putting a strap over the stern... i had ot do that bringing it home from cliffy's place... chaffed the gel some.. but then again who cares right? it's gonna be sanded and painted... the 18's trailer has a torsion axle... and there were a few spots it was very light on it's toes coming down 81 through wilkes-berre... but it rides 100X better than my eagle did... and there was no weight on it to dampen the oscillations...

as Madpoodle the bow eye goes under the nose V and the boat is pulled down and into the V. Safety chain goes on the 18 trailer when it is finished too...

guess my pop drilled it into me at an early age the importance of properly tying things down.

JimG
08-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Always straps, bow and stern. No question.

I don't want to wear my Donzi like a hat after a panic stop!:eek!:

gold-n-rod
08-21-2006, 08:47 PM
On a side note: When was the last time you checked your ball. I use a 15K rated ball and mount...and replace the ball every year or so.....I've seen too many balls shear off or come loose and break...that is cheap insurance.

Well, "Jeffy," I happen to have 2 and I check them every morning......... in the shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bonk: :eek!: :wink: :yes:

need for speed
08-21-2006, 09:16 PM
i always use straps if i am going more then a few blocks..:propeller

as for the 2" ball its new!

Schnook
08-22-2006, 07:07 AM
I installed the boat buckle retractable tie downs on my trailer. They're really convenient since they're permanently mounted, and rated 2500# each, so I while I can't hang my rig upside down, I figure they'll keep the boat on the trailer. I'm making a note of Jefe's idea of checking my ball(s) every morning, err year, sounds like one of the many 'little' things that could pop up and bite you in the keister.

Team Jefe
08-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Well, "Jeffy," I happen to have 2 and I check them every morning......... in the shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bonk: :eek!: :wink: :yes:

LOL buddy, but for me, that is Donzi Angel's job in the morning...with her tongue:yes:

Donzi Angel
08-22-2006, 08:26 AM
to the fact that I have never seen Jefe's balls shear off or break.....but I am kinda likin' that idea of changing them out every year or so with a fresh set. :wink:

NOTICE OF INSPECTION TO JEFE---Inspection will begin at 1900 tonight, with continued inspection beginning at at 0430 sharp Wednesday, August 22, 2006.:yes: :smileybo:

gcarter
08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
This thread has started reminding me of a line quoted by Willie Nelson in the Movie "Rhinestone Cowboy".......:eek!:

Ranman
08-22-2006, 10:37 AM
I just prefer metal chain over straps.

I have changed from a chain to a strap because you can adjust the strap to have some mild pretension. Chains are always loose. The less the boat moves, the less momentum it can gain before hitting the "stop". With enough momentum, the boat can snap the chain. I like the idea of never letting it have the opportunity to move in the first place (pretension). Just a slightly different theory on what to do. Chain or strap, either one is better than nothing, that's for sure...

Schnook
08-22-2006, 12:09 PM
I wonder if a chain and a turnbuckle would do the trick.

Team Jefe
08-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Schnook - that would be the ultimate in Donzi Obbsessiveness. a chain turnbuckled to 165 ft-lbs by a certified torque wrench:lookaroun

Schnook
08-24-2006, 10:02 AM
You'd have to ensure the turnbuckle body and eye bolts are aligned with your rubrail screws.