PDA

View Full Version : Where's the wood? In Classic Donzis

Jimmy Norman
08-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm looking to restore &/or improve my Classic 16 or possibly an 18 or 22 in order to get more performance potential, but I'm concerned about wood in the hull. I want a very permanent restoration with strength and no fear of rot. My experience is that water eventually finds wood in boats and wet wood is bad. That said, can anyone tell me which years and models of the Classics are best in this regard and just where I'll need to gut & core with a more durable material. I figure I'll probably wind up redoing the transom anyway in order to install a better drive system, but I haven't decided on that yet -- depends on the boat. Thanks. I alway appreciat y'all's ideas.

Jimmy

Cuda
08-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Transom, stringers, bulkheads, and coring.

onesubdrvr
08-18-2006, 05:38 PM
My suggestion would be

1) decide on what SIZE you want first.

2) If you can afford it, buy the newest one you can that doesn't have problems yet

3) Take everything out / off and seal all the holes / etc yourself (or have it professionally done)

It's a pay me now or pay me later type of proposition, you'll spend more money up front for one with no problems, but, if good preventative measures are taken now, there won't be a later.

The other side, if you're like me, I LOVE the X-18,.....that's what I got,.... and it's going to have to have stringers done, and possibly some transom work, so I decided on a boat, got a good deal on it, and now will make it right.

So what's more important, a specific style that are restricted to certain years, or any year, if any year, go as new as you can ($$).

And, as allways,.........HAVE IT SURVEYED!!!

Wayne

Cuda
08-18-2006, 06:11 PM
The best idea is to read Rootsy's Saga of the Red Mistress.

Jimmy Norman
08-19-2006, 06:39 AM
Transom, stringers, bulkheads, and coring.

coring :confused: coring :shocking: coring :bonk: coring :smash:
I hate coring :mad:

What all did they core?

Thanks,

Jimmy

gcarter
08-19-2006, 07:04 AM
FWIW, in the mid '80's, Donzi cored with end grain balsa (lighter) and mahogany plywood (heavier) both. Considering the over-all condition of my 86 Minx, the mahogany plywood core was in remarkably good condition, even in the damaged cockpit sole. Truesers 86 22C's balsa core in the cockpit sole was a mess and had to be replaced.
It's easy to tell which core a boat has, just remove the bow light (two screws) and you'll easily be able to determine which core it has. :yes: :boat:

gcarter
08-19-2006, 07:05 AM
coring :confused: coring :shocking: coring :bonk: coring :smash:
I hate coring :mad:
What all did they core?
Thanks,
Jimmy
Just about everything except the hull.

Greg
08-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Has anyone here used that pourable product that Seacast makes? It looks and sounds like it would work very well.

onesubdrvr
08-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Has anyone here used that pourable product that Seacast makes? It looks and sounds like it would work very well.
I saw that stuff at my fiberglass guys shop, must say, I was pretty impress, solid as hell, but lighter (MUCH LIGHTER) than I would have expected. He has been cautious trying it, but has a project he says it will work ideally for and he's thinking about giving it a shot,.....next time I'm by there, I'll see if he's used it and what he thinks.

Wayne

Cuda
08-19-2006, 06:18 PM
If they didn't use coring, you probably couldn't get them on a plane.