PDA

View Full Version : 1976 16' Ski Sporter All Original - Value?

Kimba
08-18-2006, 08:37 AM
I am new to this site and also now the lucky owner of my fathers 1976 16' Ski sporter. He handed the boat down to me and now I need to find out the value of it to make sure I have it insured for the proper amount. The boat is in mint condition and completely original down to the toneau cover, boat bags, trailor, carpet, seats, prop and so on. He had it in storage for about 18 years while he drove his Classic 18' 25th Anniversary edition Donzi. He has since sold that and he handed this boat down to me. It is Tangerine Orange and White with piped seats and has a 350 Corvetter engine with the 280 Volvo outdrive. If anyone has any idea how much this boat is worth..I have heard some outrageous dollar values thrown around...I would appreciate your input.
Thanks

SurfGreenTele
08-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Sorry I can't be of any help with the value...but do you have pics? It sounds awesome.

mphatc
08-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Congrats on a nice "hand me down"!

I'd suggest a marine survey, this will document the boat and good surveyor will supply you with present fair market value and replacement value.

I had this done for my 1969 Donzi and it helped me to get adequete insurance at a fair price.

Post some pictures when you get a chance!

Mario L.

Donziweasel
08-19-2006, 09:11 AM
NADA has it at a whopping $1700.00. I am sure it is worth way more than that! Like to see some pics. I guess it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

pmreed
08-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Kimba, you could pass a profitable hour or two going through a year's worth of old Donzis for sale posts. (http://www.donzi.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=12&page=1&pp=25&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=365) It'll give you some perspective as to your boats value.

Phil

wrussellw
08-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Kimba
Having just acquired and rebuilding not restoring a 69 sportster. I think alot depends how much its worth to you, especially if you are going to keep it. I have several cars and boats that are worth more to me than others, or just not easily replaced. Because of the year of the boat you can get insurance through several of the Antique/Collectible insurance companies. They allow to use a "Named or Declared Value" this value doesn't really affect the premium that much, unless you get cared away.
I was looking for a 16 with left hand drive, something not everybody was riding around in. I found totaly original 16's up to 40,000 asking price and as low as 3,000 in less than good shape.
I would think because of the source and history of your boat it would be "priceless"?

Kimba
08-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks everybody for the great input. I am trying to get some pictures downloaded to the site to share with everyone. The best part of this all is that my dad is still here to share in the excitement when people see my husband and I go flying around the lake.

Tony
08-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Kimba, where in Michigan do you boat?

Welcome to the board, there is a fairly strong contingent of Michigan Donzi Owners (who are often found) Cruising On Water. Thus, the loosely organized MADCOW group.

From Motown to Cedarville, from Holland to Frankfort, from Portland to Whitehall, from Brooklyn to Algonac to Muskegon to South Haven...there are MADCOWS everywhere!

:beer:

Carl C
08-20-2006, 07:27 AM
From Motown to Cedarville, from Holland to Frankfort, from Portland to Whitehall, from Brooklyn to Algonac to Muskegon to South Haven...there are MADCOWS everywhere!
:beer::eek!: Michigan has Madcow disease.:wink:

Kimba
08-21-2006, 09:53 AM
I finally got some pictures together to share with everyone. I hope I put them in the right spot. We (I am taking the pictures while my husband and mother were in the boat) are out on Wamplers Lake in Brooklyn, Michigan on a beautiful sunny MIS raceday.

Rootsy
08-21-2006, 10:49 AM
I finally got some pictures together to share with everyone. I hope I put them in the right spot. We (I am taking the pictures while my husband and mother were in the boat) are out on Wamplers Lake in Brooklyn, Michigan on a beautiful sunny MIS raceday.

wow... there are a few of us close to you... i've boated wamplers many times...

Doug L has an 18 on Sand Lake as does his neighbor... i have an old 18 in restoration and i have a place on Silver Lake in Cement City but live in Litchfield...

the folks that own the water depot place on wamplers lake hwy at vinyard lake (used to be ski sensations) have an 18 that sits outside... white w/ black... 1969 vintage... used to be white w/ blue...

was the 25th anniv 18 you speak of also on wamplers? i seem to remember a 25th anniv 18 that sat on the southwest corner of the lake...

there are or were a few other donzi owners on wamplers....

welcome to the club :)

Jamie

Dredgeking
08-24-2006, 04:43 PM
I have the same boat in the same year and color. I am up in Cheboygan, MI, near Mackinaw. I love seeing that orange color. I would never buy it new, but it's a classic color. I paid less than 5k for mine about 3.5 years ago in TX form the original owner. It was in better shape than my '99 Fountain back then. I thought it was an excellent deal. The gel coat was near new on the sides and just a couple of faded spots on the deck. I think the boat is worth more. Mine has a newer 350 GM crate engine in it making 345hp. Came with the original galvenized trailer. It's the best boat I've ever had.

SurfGreenTele
08-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Wow, that's a beautiful boat Kimba. I hope one day I can own one that nice.