PDA

View Full Version : Trim tab replacement

Sofa King
08-17-2006, 09:00 PM
My port side tab/blade is REALLY bowed/arched compared to starboard. My boat is a 97 and the pump says Trimaster on it. Where can I find replacement
tabs/blades for it. When I trim up my rooster tail is cocked to one side and I know it's the tab doing. It never did it before.

TY in advance
Sofa King

Sofa King
08-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Oh and btw the plastic resivoir is leaking the hydrolic fluid? yellowish gold color down the transom wall. Does the entire housing have to be replaced or is there a gasket/oring/fitting I should inspect.

Sofa King

Sofa King
08-22-2006, 12:54 PM
I need a good HD tab that wont bend when I land on my transom. Should I go with Bennett 1/4" or the keikhaefer (SP?) made of some cast steel? Which will hold up better and what size do y'all recommend for a 22 classic. I think I have 12x9's on now 12 ga 304 steel.

TY in advance
Sofa King

Morgan's Cloud
08-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Wether you should completely change out what you have now I can't say, but I do have the same setup .. Trim-masters.
Parts are readily available ... as a matter of fact I e-mailed 'River Marine Supplies ' in Miami yesterday ..(Of course I have yet to hear back from them, but that's another story) I used to order direct from the factory until they expanded and got 'big'.
The fluid they use is some sort of biodegradeable/natural stuff . I would imagine that you could exchange it for something more easily obtainable of the same weight. The leaking base reservoir could be two things .. either the rubber seal ring has degraded or become disloged or the actual res. base has deformed slightly. I once had the same problem too.
Do a web search under 'Trim Master trim tabs' and you'll get plenty of info !
Steve

Sofa King
08-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Spoke to Dan @ Trimmaster and he has only one 12x9 tab. They are not ordering anymore either since they are going out of buisness/ trying to sell the company. I found my leaking problem and will repair it so I'm just looking for the strongest tabs I can find. I dont wanna be replacing tabs everytime I have a hard landing on my stern.

justleft
08-22-2006, 02:50 PM
We have used Victory tabs a couple of times with no problems.

They have the same mounting pattern as Bennet (the web site
says Trimaster as well).

Much stronger. Also cheaper then K-planes.

http://victorytrimtabs.com/v_gallery.htm

bob