PDA

View Full Version : My 22 Classic conquers Lake Huron......

Carl C
08-17-2006, 12:37 PM
....Well at least part of it. Yes, my boating buds, the 22 Classic is a competent off-shore boat (with limitations of course). My 2 day Lake Huron adventure started with a laugh when the lubberly gas station attendant asked "so what does Dons-eye mean?". Once I arrived at the marina at Oscoda around noon Tuesday I had doubts about being able to run due to the high winds. But I went for it along with my buddy Brian who lives in Oscoda and who will most likely never go boating with me again! We found 2-3 foot chop which was intimidating at first but soon I found it to be not only runable but an absolute blast! My 22C turned 3' chop into mush! First we headed South toward Tawas City but conditions worsened with 3-4 footers so we turned around where things were a bit calmer. Soon I found that I could run this chop at 65-70 mph perfectly safely and that things actually smoothed out at 70 although it was a little hairy because of the unpredictable water surface. But it was doable and I did it and we were safe and this was my best boating experience yet!! We cruised up about 20 miles to Harrisville where I gassed up at the city harbor and we went back to Oscoda. Then I decided to head out into open water a ways but about 10 miles out things got pretty rough. We had 4 foot rollers which I found to be no problem as long as I took them at a right angle. 4 footers were no problem for this boat at 55 mph with a little negative trim and a little tab! Then it was time for a little break for a couple of cold ones and a very quick dip into the icy water! Then Brian noticed that the folks in a boat a ways away were frantically trying to wave us down by waving towels.
So over we went to find some guys in a Four Winns that had broken down. They could have been in big trouble if we hadn't seen them as the winds were blowing out to sea! I towed them a couple miles into the harbor not expecting any $ because they didn't look like they had much but they surprised me with $30 which I gladly accepted considering the cost of gas. We went for another quick rip and called it a day. Wednesday I went out alone and even though the wind had lessened the water conditions were about the same and this time I made the South run to Tawas city and back twice. Tawas Bay was pretty snotty but the old Donzi had no problem with it. I topped off the gas tank at the Tawas Municiple Harbor and headed back to Oscoda to chill with a couple brewskis and read my new Hot Boat magazine. I decided to do another run before calling it a day but things had deteriorated so I headed in about 4:30. This was an awesome offshore learning experience for me and my boat was up to the task. I hope I'm not boring you guys with my stories but you're my boating buds and my friends just don't care! I've been boating for 20 plus years but the Great Lakes are a whole nother animal and I'm having fun learning to read and navigate with charts and gps. That about sums up my awesome big water adventure and I can't wait to do it again! here are some pics including my ride at the "Main 'Pie' Marina" at Oscoda, me chilling with a cold one in the back seat, the Four Winns that I rescued and the lighthouse at Tawas Point.:alligator

ChromeGorilla
08-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Carl.... glad you had a good day on the water! Boat is looking good!:yes:

blackhawk
08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Sounds like you had a blast! It's amazing what these "little" 24* 7' beam boats can do isn't it? :yes:

gcarter
08-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Way to go Carl on being the "Good Samaritan".
My 20 year old Alpha took a dump last year and I gladly accepted a tow from a 'toon boat. It's a relief when anyone tows you in.
I'm glad you had a good day.

chip w
08-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Carl,

sounds like a great couple of days! Cool that you helped those guys out. I spun the bearing in my mid-housing a couple summers ago on my '69 16 Classic and couldn't get any of the power boats to stop. Finally got a tow from a guy on a ski! Talk about humiliating, but greatful non the less.

Tony
08-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Carl, we gotta run together sometime! Weekdays are also good for me, as a teacher, so maybe you could swing over and sample Lake Michigan next summer. Nice resolution on the pics, btw, your backseat shot is a good one!

BaldEagle
08-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Carl, Great Lakes 101 sounded like a great time. The waves can change quickly off shore. Glad you had a safe run and were able to assist the boat adrift. We found a sailboat with a broken mast on White Lake about a month ago and towed it back to its dock with our 18. Got up to about 8 mph so the sailer really go a feeling for the thrill of speed.

Lenny
08-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Carl, these things run SOOOO much better on TOP of the WATER then they do in it...

Sounds like you just had the fun the rest of us have had at some point, and why we are HOOKED.

Good on ya... :)

Carl C
08-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Carl, Great Lakes 101 sounded like a great time. The waves can change quickly off shore. Glad you had a safe run and were able to assist the boat adrift. We found a sailboat with a broken mast on White Lake about a month ago and towed it back to its dock with our 18. Got up to about 8 mph so the sailer really go a feeling for the thrill of speed.Thanks Bald Eagle and everyone else. Yeah conditions can change quickly and from one spot to another and it was scary but a lot of fun, like a roller coaster ride. But I kept my trips to about 20 miles from home port, I planned to go to the thumb tip if it were calmer. I paid attention to the vhf weather reports and the sky. BTW how could anyone not help another boater in trouble? :alligator

yeller
08-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Yes, the 22 is an awesome boat for its size. I used my 16 for 18yrs and loved loved every minute of it....even when I had to be towed in. Now that I am getting more proficient with the 22, it's amazing how much better it is. I believe the 16 is the best boat of it's size....PERIOD! However, I like the comfort of the 22 more. Last year we were at Lake Chelan, WA (in the 16) and we hit some pretty nasty stuff. It was the only time, in 18yrs, I was concerned for mine and my wifes safety. My wife was absolutely terrified. (She can not swim). Last week we were on holidays and went 40 miles up a lake to visit friends that were camping. Ended up staying the night and the next day the wind had picked up. It was fairly ugly, but I reassured my wife we would be fine.....even though I was not to sure myself. After we had the boat back on the trailer, I asked her if she had been scared at all. She replied, "not at all, I was quite comfortable." What we came back in was same conditions as we had the year earlier in Chelan. I was very glad to be in the 22. :yes: No disrespect to my wife, but I was wishing I was alone so I could have opened it up. :crossfing :hyper:

I hope I'm not boring you guys with my stories but you're my boating buds and my friends just don't care!Carl, you're stories are never boring because I can see the smile on your face from here and I know exactly how you felt when running your boat. :cool!:

BTW: every time I see a pic of your boat, I fall in love with it. The yellow fairing just sets it off!!

Carl C
08-19-2006, 08:37 PM
The yellow fairing That fairing was made for your boat but some how ended up on mine!:rlol:

Sagbay32
08-20-2006, 10:59 AM
I planned to go to the thumb tip if it were calmer. I paid attention to the vhf weather reports and the sky. :alligator

FYI, Make sure you learn the area before venturing out. The tip of the Thumb is a very beautiful albeit "rocky" place. Many rocks the size of a house submerged below the surface. If you follow your charts you should be ok, using marked channels of course :boat: .

Mike

wrussellw
08-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Bald Eagle
One of the most hair raising times I have had on the water was sailing off Windward coast of Cuba doing 8-10 knots.:eek!:

LKSD
08-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Looks like it was a nice trip... Jamie / Lakeside

Budmann
08-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Donzi 22+2+3... There is no substitute!:eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :) :) :) :)

Carl C
08-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks all. Charts:yes: Pass between the red and green buoys. It's all so cool.

boldts
08-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Carl, thank-you for your story. Brings back a lot of memories for me only I did Lake Erie in a 18' Classic off the Cleveland waterfront. Storm had rolled thru the night before, but I was there to pickup a new prop and no way I was going home without running on Erie and testing the prop. Nice thing about Cleveland is that when the lake is kicked up, there is a breakwall that you can run inside of. Coyahoga river know for being on fire? I don't know, I never saw that, but sure enjoyed running the Donzi up it for miles.

Love the 22 Classic with the faring ala new 06 models. Makes her look even faster sitting on the trailer!