PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Top photos please....

ospreyproduction
08-17-2006, 07:22 AM
OK....ok.....I know, I know, some people hate them, but I'm considering one and I would like to see some pics of those who have them and where you have mounted them. Also, how high are they??

Thanks!!

Cuda
08-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Check in the SeaRay forums.:lightning :mad: :mad: :shocking:

Boatclinic
08-17-2006, 09:17 AM
I custom build Bimini,s. I build them to 80 Mph, Thoughts on the subject is to build them so they don't effect speed, turbulance in cockpit, look good, and are strong. I use 1" .065 Stainless Steel and Rivet together with 1" X 3/16ths inch SS rivets, This is one I built for my 1988 Chris Craft / Stingerwhich I got 73 out of with 300 HP.
Don

ospreyproduction
08-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Check in the SeaRay forums.:lightning :mad: :mad: :shocking:

ok.........ok.......I get it, I get it.

I currently have one of the white anchor shades for when you're just sitting, is that ok...lol...lol???

Cuda
08-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I even carry and Anchorshade. I've had it three or four years, and I yet to use it. I don't tend to sit in one place very long. I go on the boat to run, if I want to sit, I'll do it in the comfort of my airconditioned house in my recliner. :)

Tony
08-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Here's my bimini top.
I know, I know...it's not quite the right color...but it sure works well!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23121&d=1155680124

ospreyproduction
08-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Damn....I thought I was gonna have to get some heart medicine to Cuda.

TONY, Where was that photo taken?

ChromeGorilla
08-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Osprey... I have an AnchorShade type umbrella that I won in an auction on the boards to help raise $$..... I have used it like twice..... make me an offer and it's yours....

roadtrip se
08-17-2006, 02:45 PM
every time this topic comes up. I do own an anchor shade too, but I would have to root around in the attic to find it.

These are speed boats, SLEEK speed boats, capable of achieving adrenaline-inducing acceleration, supreme handling, and amazing top ends for their size and horsepower.

Putting an erector set piece of mobile home-grade aluminum and awning fabric over my head and having to listen to it flap it in the breeze and HOPE it doesn't fly off and pulverize my other Donzi-buddies running with me at the rally, just sounds darn right wrong. Not to mention, just how ugly they really look. They are the ANTI-sleek.

I do wear sun block, 30SPF or better, every time I run in hot weather. If I get hot, I just get in the water and cool off. Simple as that. Not good enough for your passengers, a simple ride to the dock and "thanks for the company" works just as well.

Still NEED one of these contraptions? Searay and about a thousand other boat builders have your ticket...

Yes, I feel better now...

Tony
08-17-2006, 02:51 PM
TONY, Where was that photo taken?

Torch Lake, MI...it has to rank with the best:
18 miles long, aqua water, sand bottom, deep right up to shore, good restaurant, and fun sandbar.

Pismo
08-17-2006, 03:20 PM
This is the funniest thread in a long time...............Love the umbrella idea, then stuff it up front when done. The mount must be in the cooler? Perfect

Cuda
08-17-2006, 03:30 PM
every time this topic comes up. I do own an anchor shade too, but I would have to root around in the attic to find it.
These are speed boats, SLEEK speed boats, capable of achieving adrenaline-inducing acceleration, supreme handling, and amazing top ends for their size and horsepower.
Putting an erector set piece of mobile home-grade aluminum and awning fabric over my head and having to listen to it flap it in the breeze and HOPE it doesn't fly off and pulverize my other Donzi-buddies running with me at the rally, just sounds darn right wrong. Not to mention, just how ugly they really look. They are the ANTI-sleek.
I do wear sun block, 30SPF or better, every time I run in hot weather. If I get hot, I just get in the water and cool off. Simple as that. Not good enough for your passengers, a simple ride to the dock and "thanks for the company" works just as well.
Still NEED one of these contraptions? Searay and about a thousand other boat builders have your ticket...
Yes, I feel better now...
A man after my own heart.:wink:

Barry Eller
08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
I personally like my Bimini top. As I have defended it before, it has a welded stainless steel frame, through bolted, does not flap in the breeze, I run over 70 MPH with it. The material is sunbrella. So Just like the name of my boat says, "YIPPY-KAI-YAY" M........er's!

Team Jefe
08-17-2006, 03:46 PM
I personally think a bimini is a very good idea...I have one on my Donzi and everyone seems to like how it looks...with all the gold bling-bling.....plus it is a safety device....the sun is evil.... Cuda and Trip are..... two examples of what the sun........can do to a human............and they are sensible....... ssmmmmm..... smmmm.....any responsible adult............smmmm...HA-HA-HA-HA...LMAO:rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :jestera: :jestera: :jestera: :jestera: :jestera:

...Sorry Qsprey, I tried to hold it together,I just couldn't get through it all.

I'm with Trip and Cuda....Hate Biminis, even though I like mine (reallty its a t-top) and the shade and I MANY of my Donzi buddies have them. I do like the GIANT umbrella idea though...kinda Italian sidewalk Bistro thing and pretty cool. Still all these things should be stowed while running.....we have a reputation to uphold afterall:wavey:

Team Jefe
08-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Mattyboy, ladies and gentlemen....he's here all week :wink:

Cuda
08-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Fishboat, cruiser, pontoon, etc, bimini is fine. Performance boat......umm no!:wink:

Barry Eller
08-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Roadtrip,
I don't think you are giving the bimini a fair shake I think that if done correctly it could be like an aerodynamic lifting device when on plane reducing the drag on the hull and increasing top end, I mean shaped like a hang glider yeah that's it , I mean it will reduce chine walk and make the boat more stable
hell if you are worried about looks paint flames on the sum bitch or get the donzi logo embrodiered on it just think if you get going fast enough you might take off just think how smooth that ride would be sailing over 4 footers with ease ;) I mean not to mention if you went for the optional cuddy zipper out windows and bug screens you could have like the neighbors stay over nite with ya but if you are worried about the flappy of the awning material I guess you could do a wake board arch and strap one of those wego flying kite tubes to the top :yes: should act as a sun shade and an aerodynamic lifting surface, what i would like to do is get an umbrella with different colored panels and leave it in when i was on plane so it would spin and then I could play carnival music and I would look like a merry go round then at nite I would get a budweiser umbrella and some tiki torches and become a floating nite club or if I went to a bimini I could call it bimini bob's boat bar
:yes: :p :jestera:
seriously tony's umbrella idea is great but Tony jeez yellow???? ;)
:p
Mine creates Down Force!! Keeps it from getting too loose!!!

p729lws
08-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Mine creates Down Force!! Keeps it from getting too loose!!!

Hey Barry, how is my Aston Martin looking? Is it out of the paint shop yet?

Barry Eller
08-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey Barry, how is my Aston Martin looking? Is it out of the paint shop yet?
I'm sorry Dan, the Vantage sold with out painting it. The reason the Dr. wanted to get out of it was he could only get insurance to drive it a maximum of 3000 miles a year. No one would insure it. He is happy with his new XLR.
Are you going to Gulf Shores to watch the www.thunderonthegulf.com this weekend? I'm still sorting out my electrical devils, I may drive over Sunday AM and go to the dry pits.

Tony
08-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Matty, you post some of the funniest **** on this board!

:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

MOP
08-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Here's my bimini top.
I know, I know...it's not quite the right color...but it sure works well!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23121&d=1155680124

Tony no offense but that looks like a huge upside down sun flower, Oops don' thell Sherri I said that!!!!

roadtrip se
08-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Bimini Bob's Boat Bar and have a Budweiser Buddy! Belch!

Perfect Matty, perfect...

Tony
08-17-2006, 08:23 PM
I know, Phil, I know!
I knew I would take some heat about that, but right now it is what I have.
Maybe MINXGUY would like it over his new 22'?

Actually, I looked pretty hard online and did not find a plain all red umbrella in my size.
This site has everything but:
http://www.beachstore.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=21

:beer:

p729lws
08-17-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm sorry Dan, the Vantage sold with out painting it. The reason the Dr. wanted to get out of it was he could only get insurance to drive it a maximum of 3000 miles a year. No one would insure it. He is happy with his new XLR.
Are you going to Gulf Shores to watch the www.thunderonthegulf.com this weekend? I'm still sorting out my electrical devils, I may drive over Sunday AM and go to the dry pits.

That's a crying same about the Vantage. I was looking forward to Fact-o-bake'n it the same color as theT-bird. I'm off to the great white north on Sunday and not back till Friday so no Thunder on the Gulf for me. DTP is fueled up if you want to take her over. Still thinking about doing the Emerald Coast Poker run on Saturday but will probably just park over at the Bamboo Willies card stop and catch the action.

Barry Eller
08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
That's a crying same about the Vantage. I was looking forward to Fact-o-bake'n it the same color as theT-bird. I'm off to the great white north on Sunday and not back till Friday so no Thunder on the Gulf for me. DTP is fueled up if you want to take her over. Still thinking about doing the Emerald Coast Poker run on Saturday but will probably just park over at the Bamboo Willies card stop and catch the action.
Thanks for the offer of your boat, you are a good friend!! The Blonde I'm married too says thanks too, but no thanks, DTP doesn't have a BIMINI TOP!!!
Have a save trip, talk to you next week!!!