PDA

View Full Version : New trim tabs, need help!

Donziweasel
08-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Just got in my new Bennett Trim tabs. Need some advice on where to mount them. Directions say 4 inches from chines, 8 from drive. The bottom of my 16 transom has a more severe angle at the bottom of the V and decreases out towards the chines. Any help or even if some of you have some pics of you tabs, please let me know. Hope to start installing tommorrow.

mrfixxall
08-16-2006, 03:30 PM
first find the thickest part of the transm ware your going to mount the cylinders..some of the 16's and 18's are real thin outside of ware the deive is...onlt 1/4 to 3/8 thick fiberglass and their will be alot of stress their and could damage the transm.(make big holes ware the top of the ram goes)
on my x i built up to 1 1/2 thick so i wouldnt tear the rams out..

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45544

Donziweasel
08-16-2006, 05:30 PM
I checked, and there is plenty of glass and transom to hold the rams. Due to the angle of the hull (steep angle from the bottom to the last rake and less steep from the last rake to the chine), where is the optimal place to put it? Do I overlap the change in angle at the last rake, or do I place it before the last rake and the change in pitch in the hull? Also, it looks like that the base of the tabs will only be flush with the bottom of the transom for only part of the tab and the rest will be above the bottom. If anyone can help, or even decipher what the hell I just wrote:confused: let me know.

Cuda
08-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Give a call to Bennett. From what I hear, they invented the term "customer service".

I probably have a picture of how they are mounted on my Minx if that will help you any.

Donziweasel
08-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Cuda, love to see the pics of yours. It will give me at least an idea of where to go with them.

Cuda
08-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Here you go.

Donziweasel
08-16-2006, 07:35 PM
The design of the hulls with the steep pitch to a less steep pitch is really similar. Is all of the tab above the bottom of the transom? It looks like it might be exposed at the top. Nice looking boat by the way. My wife and I have talked and I think I will probably buy a Minx next round.

pmreed
08-16-2006, 07:39 PM
In your installation, make sure that the tabs are well above the horizontal when fully retracted. You don't want to be dragging a tab except when you want to.

Phil

Cuda
08-16-2006, 07:47 PM
I just stepped out and took these pictures for ya. The tabs are in the full up position. It's about half an inch between the bottom of the tab, and the bottom of the hull. Hope it helps.

Donziweasel
08-16-2006, 07:50 PM
That is exactly what I needed! Thanks.

Phil, how high above horizontal?

DonCig
08-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Maybe these can help you.
Don

mrfixxall
08-16-2006, 09:17 PM
That is exactly what I needed! Thanks.
Phil, how high above horizontal?

you want to mount the tab basr 1/2'' above the bottom of the hull..when mounting the ram place a straight edge on the bottom of the hull to the tip (end) of the tab and make its 1 1/2 to 2" higher so when your flying across the lake they dont drag...

Donziweasel
08-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Perfect, I am starting in the morning. I like the twin ram look. Maybe next year:yes:

mrfixxall
08-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Perfect, I am starting in the morning. I like the twin ram look. Maybe next year:yes:

Hay!!!! Let's get your 16 over 70 first then we'll talk k-planes lol:eek!:

Good luck on your project or projects...

Donziweasel
08-17-2006, 10:58 AM
MrFixall, working on them right now. I have to keep coming back to the boards for the pics, but have the actual tabs mounted. Got a long week, motor is finally ready to come out, put on trim tabs, new Livorsi non-muffled exhuast tips, trailer bearings........

I never knew owning a Donzi could be this much fun.....:bonk:

Hoping for 65+, 70 would be sweet! Should have it all back together by mid-next week, but I have a wedding to go to and probably won't get to run it until weekend after next. It is going to kill me knowing it is ready and I am Charleston SC at me brothers wedding. Some would say I have my priorities F*****D up. :)

Donziweasel
08-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Trim tabs are officially on and working. Thanks everyone.

Cuda
08-17-2006, 05:18 PM
That was quick! Got any pictures?

Donziweasel
08-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I will try and post some tommorrow. The instructions said it would take someone with basic skills and good tools an hour and a half. That is a load of crap! Took 6-7 hours. If I post pics, please realize the boat is a mess right now, engine out, exhaust tips off, various tools, saw dust etc... scattered around. I didn't say I had cleaned up yet:bonk:

By the way, I don't know if it is just me, but I am black and blue under both biceps from reaching down in my bilge and under my exhuast manifolds. I may have to take a few days of before I go back at it to let my bruises heal up. I am not whinning and have enjoyed the work so far (even though much of it has been a pain in the ass), but crap they hurt!