PDA

View Full Version : Can thru-hull sensors cause handing issues?

yeller
08-15-2006, 10:50 PM
The previous owner installed a depth sounder with a thru-hull sending unit. :bonk: :mad: Could this be enough to cause handling issues at higher speeds? My boat does a crazy little hop to the port side at speeds above 75. It's mounted 4' forward of the transom and about 10" up from center on the port side. It's a hair over 1/4" thick and 2 1/2" outside diameter (tapering to 1 1/2" dia).

gpapich
08-16-2006, 12:29 AM
I widnsurfed for 15 years and even at lower speeds ~25 to 30mph, if I so much as bumped my centerboard out of it's well and into the water stream, it'd trip the board.

4' is still very much near the planing surface of the boat. Can you remove the genius's work and plug the hole flush?

undertaker
08-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeller, that obviously was done by the previous owner because mine does not look like that from the factory...:eek!: I would have it removed and install it like they do at the factory and repair the bottom...Good luck..

Undertaker:cool:

yeller
08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Another little project for the winter:(
Where does the factory install it?

Yeller, that obviously was done by the previous owner because mine does not look like that from the factory...:eek!: I would have it removed and install it like they do at the factory and repair the bottom...Good luck..
Undertaker:cool:

CHACHI
08-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Another little project for the winter:(
Where does the factory install it?Mine is installed in the bilge right below the crankshaft pulley. Ken

undertaker
08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Mine too....:) :)

kd5cue
08-16-2006, 11:53 AM
why dont get a seding uit that can work thru glass so dont have cut hole

kd5cue
08-16-2006, 11:53 AM
why dont get a seding unit that can work thru glass so dont have cut hole

kd5cue
08-16-2006, 11:54 AM
why dont get a sending unit that can work thru glass so dont have cut hole

catch 22
08-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Mine is installed in the bilge right below the crankshaft pulley. Ken
Mine three.

Donziweasel
08-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Many Depth Finders have transducers that will work mounted on the exterior of the boat, or against the hull on the interior of the boat. As far as I know, there are three ways to mount one. There are pros and cons to each.

1. The way yours is, with the transducer located on the exterior of the hull. The good is that you will have accurate readings. The bad is that it can affect the handling of the boat.

2. The transducer can be mounted on the transom below the water line. The good is that you should have accurate readings, but the bad is that it is measuring the water depth at the drive, not in the middle of the boat, and it can be knocked off or damaged.

3. Get a transducer that will work through the hull. All you have to do is secure it to the interior of the hull, no hole to drill through your hull, usually somewhere in the middle. A bracket will help mount it, but I have even seen strong epoxy used. The good is that it will not affect the handling of the boat and there are no exterior sensors to get hit, but sometimes it will go blank or not give accurate readings.

I have tried the transom and interior hull mount. Currently I have a transom extrerior mount and it seems to work fine, but there is always the possibility of damaging it or knocking it off. The last boat I had had the interior mount, and I must say it was very easy to set up, but sometimes I could not get an accurate reading. There are other ways, such as a drive mount (which seems to be mainly for the fishing industry), but these three seem to be the most popular.

Donziweasel
08-16-2006, 06:46 PM
That is messed up. How does it affect the handling? Did you fix it?

Donziweasel
08-16-2006, 06:58 PM
The patch looks great! Whoever mounted the old one should be shot. On a 22 classic no less!

yeller
08-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I never would install a thru-hull in any boat...let alone a Classic. I almost puked when I saw it.

I still would like more input on the handling issue though.
Could this affect the handling so much that high speeds become extremely dangerous. About the only way I can describe what the boat does is: Imagine there is a rope tied to the bow ring and someone/something is repeatedly jerking the rope, down and to the port side. The faster I go, the faster it jerks (and more severe).

BTW: I've check the hull bottom and it's straight. At the absolute most...it has a 1/16" hook (although it's perfectly straight down the center and the sides are symetrical).

Lenny
08-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Yeller, how is your gimbal?... Is it tight?

Leaving, or close to, the water and surface tension, and re-entering with your "hull" will re-integrate some SERIOUS loading issues if there is some slop.

I assume yours, (as it is all but new) is flawless, BUT, have you checked it... ???