PDA

View Full Version : Water leak in oil cooler!

Tony
08-15-2006, 04:42 PM
This looks like soldered brass. Can I put the heat to it without causing damage inside? I'm imagining taking it apart, sanding/cleaning, fluxing, then soldering it back up. Or, would a radiator shop be a wiser choice?

This problem, coupled with my hairline split plastic inlet fitting at AOTH, makes me suspicious about last fall's winterization mechanic!

One shot is the seperation, the other is the good end, and the third shot is what I pulled out of the inlet end of the oil cooler...I'll bet this was inhibiting flow!

mrfixxall
08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
This looks like soldered brass. Can I put the heat to it without causing damage inside? I'm imagining taking it apart, sanding/cleaning, fluxing, then soldering it back up. Or, would a radiator shop be a wiser choice?
This problem, coupled with my hairline split plastic inlet fitting at AOTH, makes me suspicious about last fall's winterization mechanic!
One shot is the seperation, the other is the good end, and the third shot is what I pulled out of the inlet end of the oil cooler...I'll bet this was inhibiting flow!

Yep she froze,,tony do yourself a favor and buy a newer one with the drain plug in it...for 150.00 or so their real hard to seal up and way too many places they can leak internallly...

MD

Tony
08-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Yep she froze,,tony do yourself a favor and buy a newer one with the drain plug in it...for 150.00 or so their real hard to seal up and way too many places they can leak internallly...
MD

That sounds like good advise. Any idea where to buy it? Remember, my engine is the Volvo 7.4 Gsi. The cooler is 18" long and about 2" in diameter. Which internet site specializes in Volvo parts?

gcarter
08-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi Tony!
I got mine on eBay. It was a Revolution Marine...just like the one you described.
It was very similar to this one;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Severe-Duty-Oil-Cooler-fits-Mercruiser-Mercury-Custom_W0QQitemZ230016402027QQihZ013QQcategoryZ124 104QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I think I paid about $160.00 for it.:yes:

mrfixxall
08-15-2006, 07:10 PM
That sounds like good advise. Any idea where to buy it? Remember, my engine is the Volvo 7.4 Gsi. The cooler is 18" long and about 2" in diameter. Which internet site specializes in Volvo parts?

Try jamies at lakeside i think his webbsite has a link to volvo....or

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/details.asp?SubCategoryID=206&CategoryID=60

mrfixxall
08-15-2006, 07:20 PM
tony..from lakeside.

https://lakesiderestorations.com/showAssy.phtml?mfgCode=010&modelCode=005&grpCode=03&appCode=017&appName=Crankcases%20&%20Oil%20systems&imageName=7b4i.jpg&assyCode=7b4

seano
08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
cooler are coolers as far as i know tony... you just need the measurements and inlet/outlet sizes, etc. i would avoid any attempt to fix this old cooler or buy one from Volvo...

Tony
08-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Cool, Scott, you've got mail...

Tony
08-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Five minutes outside our small town, a backyard radiator shop.

The guy explains that the inner core is constructed using about twice the heat of the outer caps, so he is not worried about compromising the inner core with his repair.

So he pulls the cap off, cleans and reapplies it, paints the whole thing, and pressure tests both systems.

$25 and I am good to go...probably with more flow because of the old impellor ppieces I pulled out!