PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pumps

Cuda
08-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Okay, the engine in the Minx is driving me nuts. It was running fine, but bogged when I got on a plane. I changed the fuel filter, and it was full of crap. That was a while back. Every since then, I'm not getting any fuel to the filter. I've blown it with air in every direction, fired it up with gas in the carb in case it needed to pull it up, and I still can't get fuel to the cannister filter. I just can't see the fuel pump going bad just sitting there. Then I had the great idea that I'd just take the fuel pump of the 350 in my shop and put it in the Minx. It was then I realized they had two different types of pumps. The one currently in the Minx has the cannister that screws right on the fuel pump itself, the one in my shop (the old Minx engine), has a regular car looking fuel pump, with a remote filter. Is it possible the pump with the filter attached is not getting a good seal, and therefore not drawing a suction?

MOP
08-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Yes if it still has the cork gasket, you can smear grease around the base of the can then put your fingers over the fuel in/outs to see if it is sucking when you work the arm by hand.

Phil

mrfixxall
08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Okay, the engine in the Minx is driving me nuts. It was running fine, but bogged when I got on a plane. I changed the fuel filter, and it was full of crap. That was a while back. Every since then, I'm not getting any fuel to the filter. I've blown it with air in every direction, fired it up with gas in the carb in case it needed to pull it up, and I still can't get fuel to the cannister filter. I just can't see the fuel pump going bad just sitting there. Then I had the great idea that I'd just take the fuel pump of the 350 in my shop and put it in the Minx. It was then I realized they had two different types of pumps. The one currently in the Minx has the cannister that screws right on the fuel pump itself, the one in my shop (the old Minx engine), has a regular car looking fuel pump, with a remote filter. Is it possible the pump with the filter attached is not getting a good seal, and therefore not drawing a suction?

I wouldnt be suprised with all the chitty fuels we have now a days that your diaphram is dried out...

That why i run electric fuel pumps,always dependable......

Cuda
08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Upon further review, it's the same fuel pump. It has a remote filter also, for some reason I had in my mind it was in the same place. I guess because it's located right over the top of the fuel pump. Btw, it's not the diaphram. :(

Cuda
08-15-2006, 07:54 PM
I wished I'd had figured that before I busted the chit out of my knuckles, then twisted off another friggin fuel line.

I swear to Christ, I'd rather have to buy a new intake, new exhaust, or even a whole new damn engine every year, than have to f@!k with another closed cooling engine!:mad:

I decide to do it tonight, after dark, thinking with would be cooler. Well, because of that damned CC system, I couldn't get a good look at the fuel line, while holding two end wrenches and a flashlight.:mad: :mad: :mad:

DonziDave
08-15-2006, 08:19 PM
I was having the same problem as you with my 18C. Finally replaced the fuel pump and so far seems to have solved the problem. BTW - do not use an automotive pump. The marine pumps are dual diaphram, If the primary diaphram fails it pumps the gas thru the vent tube into the carb instead of the bilge.
Dave

Cuda
08-15-2006, 08:39 PM
This one is a marine, and routes a busted diaphram up to the carb. I never use automotive parts, I want to give them a reason to move the decimal point on the price of the part one place to the right.